Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
If there's something which sticks out about my adventures in the Throne of Bhaal so far as compared to SoA, as petty as it may seem, its the absolute deluge of healing potions I seem to be finding compared to SoA.
I have to ask if people think this is a good thing in terms of game balance and whether they noticed it as well. I mean sure, healing potions weren't really that rare in SoA, but there was a certain feeling of relief when you found them and it was much easier to get low on stock.

Whereas now its like a quick hit - they're almost taken for granted.
My potion cases are filling up that fast with extra healing potions now that I'm starting to cancel many clerical healing spells in favour of more aggressive/defensive magic.

In Sendai's Enclave alone, almost every drow carries at least one or two potions of extra healing and they soon mount up! *yawn* Throw another one in the potion case, great!

Also, the AI usage of healing potions is a realistic and nice additional combat factor in ToB, often making the 'kill them before they heal themselves' idea more urgent!

Perhaps this is just a part of the game where I'm being tempted to use alot of healing quickly, so that I'm drained of healing resources by the time I get to the game's conclusion.

As an aside question to the veterans who may read this, I had the thought in my current game that if I find the final Sendai battle too difficult, I may just back step and try out the final level of Watcher's Keep instead. Some subtle yet unspoilerish tips and opinions on which is more difficult would be appreciated!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I like the fact that there are tons of healing potions. It's realistic. Medium-powered foes and up should carry healing potions, just like your characters do. It's just logic.

But that's my opinion.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:38 AM   #3
Mirror Image
Manshoon

I have a potion bag full of healing. Its carried by Keldorn. Unfortunately my team seems to be using them a lot lately. Oh well, it saves game time and money spent at temples.
Mirror Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
Daniel Copeland
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had to have three potion bags to carry all my potions of extra healing, potions of superior healing, and all the other assorted potions. I think you may be on to something, CerebroDragon, when you say that there were a few too many potions available.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Potion Cases are far to small to even hope to contain the amount of crap that (for whatever reason) I choose to lug around with me. I just shove all potions, scrolls, ammo, and non-unique weapons and armor into my Bottomless Bag of Holding. All unique and quest items go in my other Bag of Holding (which I believe is not bottomless), carried by my PC.

I usually have so many Healing Potions left that I ponder some sort of Cespenar upgrade, requiring 100 Superior Healing Potions.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Wumpspawner
Manshoon

Maybe you could turn them all into a potion that cures addiction to this game.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
@Six
I'm finding that two normal bags of holding does the job well enough. My party is affluent enough and haughty enough (the Edwin influence...) to refuse to loot as much as we used to back in those early days of Amn-ny yore! [img]smile.gif[/img] However, if the coffers get lower than 20,000, that's when I start to enforce a bit of order.

@Wumpsqawner
This is why I need to finish this game so urgently! The desire to play it eats at me like a scab which won't stop itching...

In fact, I could use a potion to opiate the bloodlust and insanity that I'm indirectly experiencing playing this game so feverishly.
My Avenger druid has a personality which has sardonically twisted so far away from the natural balance that he aspired for so long ago.

Blackened by the loss of Viconia's love, paranoid at being manipulated by higher forces and intoxicated by the web of deathly powers that Korgan and Edwin exude, I even laugh WITH Sarevok now.... [img]graemlins/chaos.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

Hopefully this mindset shall have me in good stead for when I play IWD2, which is going to be my winter game...

Time to rest though now, methinks. I'll no doubt dream of invading monastaries...

[ 05-15-2004, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
@Six
I'm finding that two normal bags of holding does the job well enough. My party is affluent enough and haughty enough (the Edwin influence...) to refuse to loot as much as we used to back in those early days of Amn-ny yore! [img]smile.gif[/img] However, if the coffers get lower than 20,000, that's when I start to enforce a bit of order.

@Wumpsqawner
This is why I need to finish this game so urgently! The desire to play it eats at me like a scab which won't stop itching...

In fact, I could use a potion to opiate the bloodlust and insanity that I'm indirectly experiencing playing this game so feverishly.
My Avenger druid has a personality which has sardonically twisted so far away from the natural balance that he aspired for so long ago.

Call Lightning is such a beautiful spell for the roleplaying Avenger. It's an easy way to pick off infidels without overtly incriminating yourself.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote