Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2001, 09:14 PM   #1
mgdorsey
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry to whine but I have to get this off my chest. First of all I dont care what anyone says.... It is ALWAYS fricking dark - either my circadian rhythms are off or im living through the two dark weeks in alaska. Half the time im trying to find my way through the fricking woods. Couldnt they just make nice paths and not make you go half way around the fricking world to get places. Then lets talk about the interface - set up spells every fricking time, and only one at a time- you know what forget it. Forget the whole thing. ive had it. plus half the time i dont get credit for completing missions. Oh and the system is completely opaque - how about telling us how much harder it makes for a monster to fricking it us with bless so we can make intelligent fricking decisions. AJHHHHHH~
mgdorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 10:00 PM   #2
Max
Dungeon Master

I'm sorry to hear that you dislike the game so much. I understand how it can be a pain to set up your magic everytime you come out of town. As for the darkness what monitor have you got and how old is it?. I have a old monitor which I use for the kids PC and the game is really dark on that as opposed to my PC which is fine, further more my wifes PC is running a new 3D Prophet vid card and that is much brighter than mine. It may just be a case of monitor or video card. Have you got the most upto date drivers for your vid card this may also help.

How far have you got in the game?. When I first started I nearly gave up on it and un-installed. If you haven't got very far in the game please give it another go, I'm sure if we can get your darkness problem sorted out, you will enjoy this game very much. It doesn't really live'n up until after the second village, but then it becomes very addictive.

------------------
......shake it baby.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 10:05 PM   #3
Moni

Aw! I know what you mean though! I had to adjust the gamma on my screen AND use the illuminate spell to be able to see!

As far as not getting credit for the quests (if you are willing to be talked in to continuing) save right outside of town in one slot after you get the quests, save in another or two during the quest and then again before you go back into town...non recognition for quests is usually due to something like not letting the object of your quest finish speaking (i.e. Mekdawa and the toad potion).

I nearly gave up on it myself a number of times and even had to upgrade my amount of memory to keep from tearing my hair out with the "recommended" 64MB.
After I got used to not having things the way I expected them to be, it really did turn out to be a fun game!

Hugs, Friend!
Moni
Old 06-07-2001, 02:20 AM   #4
Big Dave
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I too hate the darkness. It helps having a Whiska. His night vision trait acts like a flashlight. I wouldn't be able to play the game without it.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 03:51 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

Illuminate helps. It helps much more in the wilderness than in the dungeons, isn't it ridiculous? Cast Illuminate whenever you leave the town no matter whehter it is day or night. No more dark places.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 07:22 PM   #6
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

What a bummer for you to not be enjoying the game. Well, I am very sorry to hear about that. Have you installed the patch? It makes things much lighter so you can see everywhere you go, even at night. If you decide to give it another try, I highly recommend you use the patch. Let us know if you do please. It would be interesting to know if the patch helps you as much as it did me. You know the patch is not recommended because it takes away some perks (bugs or cheats, whichever you prefer to call them) that you get if the game is not patched. So again, please let us know if you do use it and it does help.
Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 07:32 PM   #7
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

ALWAYS being lost has aggravated me out of W&W for the last month or so. Like mgdorsey said, paths to nowhere and where the hell am I? I mean it would be ok if it was occasional but..... and the little map you can bring up absolutely sucks. Is there a big map?
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 07:36 PM   #8
BLKCat
The Magister

Lord of Alcohol, if you double click on the map icon, it brings up a full screen map that is slightly easier to read. BUT, you can't leave if up all the time. I agree that the mapping left a lot to be desired!

BLKCat

------------------
...Events are cowards: they don't occur singly, but instead they run in packs and leap out at you all at once.
(Excerpt from "Neverwhere", by Neil Gaiman)
BLKCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 08:00 PM   #9
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

It is funny, but I don't think there are many paths leading to nowhere. Most of the time there is a treasure chest or a bad guy or something there, isn't there? Of course, once you have gone down them, then there is nothing but an opened chest or some times nothing if you already killed the bad guys.

Also, I thought the map was quite useful and found myself using the flags and marking places where I had been and what was there and which direction was what, etc.

Well, to each his own I always say. . . or live and learn.

------------------

I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me. Philiappians 4:13
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 08:04 PM   #10
BLKCat
The Magister

I finally got used to the map probably when I was in the Stout Mines. That is where I first started really using the flags, and finding them useful. I do understand it now, and can use it alright, it just isn't the best mapping system I've ever seen. I think it would be better to be able to see more of the whole area in the small window, without having to go to the full screen map. I really wasn't complaining, just posting an opinion.

BLKCat

------------------
...Events are cowards: they don't occur singly, but instead they run in packs and leap out at you all at once.
(Excerpt from "Neverwhere", by Neil Gaiman)
BLKCat is offline   Reply With Quote