Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2001, 02:05 PM   #1
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

At what point does it not matter if you up skills? I've got some up around 8 or 9, like sword or pick locks, and some around 5 or 6, like Athletics (sp) and merchant. Looking for opinions.

Thx

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner

()xxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::>
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 03:09 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

As far as the magic skills go, you can top them out at 7 as long as you get all the spells you want before changing.

On the others, especially weapon, sorcery, and gallantry skills, the skill level adds to the ability by 10% for each skill level increase. Therefore, a person with a gallantry of 6 can inflict 60% more damage on the average than a person without the skill. Spells cast with a Sorcery skill of 8 will do 80% more damage (or last 80% longer, such as Bless or Illuminate), than those who are cast without Sorcery.

So on some, yes, continue to increase them, whereas others, it's your choice. If you're wanting a predominantly fighter character, keep adding to Gallantry (and Prowess). If you're wanting a mega spellcaster, keep adding to Sorcery for that spell power. If you're wanting a mix between the two, balance them out. Train the other trainable skills in the guilds as you can.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 03:56 PM   #3
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

For weapons, I find that at level 7 I never miss. For skills like Gallantry, Prowess, and Sorcery I continue to increase them because they can really help a lot. Forge and Artifacts are some others that you should bring up. At level 7 you can pretty much identify everything BUT those items that cost a lot to identify, still can't be identified until at least level 9. That will identify everything for you except some of the REALLY nice weapons and armor in Cet's Pyramid. I like to continue to increase all of my skills (with the exception of schools of magic, you know spiritcraft, stonecraft etc.) to a high level. Do you know what kind of damage you can do with level 11 kung fu?!?! The leveling up totally depends on what skill it is for me. It's just a matter of style in my opinion. If you like super powerful barbarians, go gallantry. If you want a high-powered magic user, go sorcery. If you want to be a fast-slashing samurai (or something like that) then go for prowess. Whatever you prefer. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

-Jafin
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 08:06 PM   #4
Black Knight

I generally tend to go for more of a balance, so I will do my best...

BK, stuck with only 1.7 mill gold...

Old 06-05-2001, 08:29 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:

BK, stuck with only 1.7 mill gold...

If you have too much, you can always do like Adam Warlock did and give some of it to Torin...

-Sazerac

Old 06-06-2001, 10:45 AM   #6
Radek
Red Dragon

My recommendation:
Weapon: 12 - no comment.
Athletics: 12 - helps great with underwater swims and downfalls.
Artifacts: 12 - no unidentified items
Forge: 12 - no damaged items
Traps&Locks: 12 - no lock can resist you, even that level 12 5-stars lock.
Magic schools: 7 - except you plan learning some higher level spells that do not belong to your role.
Deathstrike: 12 - no comment.
Scout: 12 - this lowers the possibility of unwelcome surprises.
Blessings and Enchants: 12 - no comment.
2nd Weapon: 12 - no comment.
All these skills can be trained in guilds. Instead of investing your skill points in them, train whenever you level up. The following skills CANNOT be trained in the guilds:

Sorcery, Gallantry, Provess

(Maybe, somebody can add another ones. I don't know.) Therefore, invest into these skills. Sorcery is a must for every spellcaster. Gallantry and Provess are extremely helpful for fighters.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 11:37 AM   #7
Black Knight

Why, do I want to know what happens?

BK
Old 06-06-2001, 11:38 AM   #8
Black Knight

Ooo, and I have also finally figured out how to Bless things...hehehe there goes all my gold ...byebye...

BK
Old 06-06-2001, 11:52 AM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

BK: Sorry, it's an in-joke. I was trying to get a rise out of Adam Warlock. A while back, he was going to give Torin one of the Dragon Arrows for the Bushi Dojo Guild quest...anyway, he made a mistake and gave him 10,000,000 GP instead...

and Torin wouldn't give it back for nothing! He said something like "I thank you, but nothing will bring back my dead father", but would not give up the gold!

It was a running joke on the board for some time. There's a GS Examiner about it, as well... I think it's #20.

-Sazerac
Old 06-06-2001, 11:56 AM   #10
Black Knight

Saz,

BK