Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 02-01-2003, 06:24 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

My dad got new computer, with windows XP on it. Well, everytime I save it gives me this B.S. saying cannot create file, continue running exucatable, I say yes and I get 2 other messages. I'll try to somehow get pics of the message.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
B_part
Quintesson

Well, the exact error report would really help...

However, two reasons why you can't save come to my mind:
1)not enough disk space - which would be really weird since savegames aren't big and disk space is really unlimited these days - it might be that your user profile allocates you only a certain maximum disk space to use - see below.
2)You don't have enough privileges to create file in the morrowind directory - users of windows xp can have different levels of privileges, ranging from administrator (you can do whatever you want) to illegal alien (you can only READ some files). Check that you are not an illegal alien and that you can actually create files in the morrowind\saves directory.

Otherwise, try to reinstall morrowind, the installation might have got corrupted somehow. Also get the latest drivers of your audio and video cards - it's unlikely that your problem is due to driver conflict, but latest drivers always help, especially with XP which is notoriously picky with driver versions.

P.s: 500 posts - changed that horrible avatar with another one, yet more horrible

[ 02-01-2003, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: B_part ]
Old 02-01-2003, 11:39 PM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

Okay, Print Screen doesn't work so i wrote what it was saying.

CreateFile(CrogramFiles, and leads all the way to the Save directory in Bethsoft)Create TES failed with the error. The system can't find the path specified.
Continue running executable
Yes No (Obviously i picked yes or the game stops running)

Unable to complete operation due to failure removing previous file.Temp remains.
Yes No (Yes)

Create TES failed for file TEST0000. Save aborted.
Yes No (Yes)

An error occured while saving the game.
OK (Clicked ok and there is no save)
Old 02-02-2003, 04:49 AM   #4
B_part
Quintesson

Hmmm... first of all check that your /save directory is still there... the message says it cannot be found.
second try reinstalling the game, it sounds like it got corrupted somehow.

Also patch the game, you never know.

Otherwise Im lost. Sorry.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:30 AM   #5
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

Do you have several users on your computer installed, i. e. did you install the game with admin privileges and maybe created a savegame with the admin user and now play with another user account?

To check this, just chek the user rights of the save file by clicking on properties and then something like privileges ((Sorry, I don´t know the exact name, since I am running the German version of WInXP).

Chris
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:24 PM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

Um, there are several profiles/accounts, one for my dad, one for me, on for my bro, one for my sister, and one for my mom. My dad installed it after these accounts were made. And I looked for a save folder in the data files for Morrowind, and all found were other files leading to these.
BookArt
Fonts
Icons
Meshes
Music
Sound
Splash
Textures

That was the only file that would actually lead to something, the other folders were CSUninstall and MWUninstall. So I'm thinking the Save Directory place is gone.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:40 PM   #7
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Look for the file that says Bethesda Softworks and open it then open the Morrowind file, the save file is not in the data files it is right next to data files and all it says is Saves, if you don't have this file then create it by clicking on the top of the page on file then click on new folder then rename the folder to Saves. Try it, Let us know if this works! it works for everybody else.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:20 PM   #8
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
Look for the file that says Bethesda Softworks and open it then open the Morrowind file, the save file is not in the data files it is right next to data files and all it says is Saves, if you don't have this file then create it by clicking on the top of the page on file then click on new folder then rename the folder to Saves. Try it, Let us know if this works! it works for everybody else.
Ah bullsh*t. I would have done your idea but access is denied. I do not have the proper authority to make a new folder. Man, I thought XP would be good, it appears that my dad has put some serious restrictions on the computer.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Tell Dad what you need to do and have Him put in the folder for you !

[ 02-02-2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 02-02-2003, 01:42 PM   #10
SecretMaster
Apophis

Ok, i checked the other computer which has Morrowind, and there is a save file, so thanx Crimson. And if I do make a folder call Save, would it know to actually save the game in there?