Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-10-2004, 04:31 PM   #21
B_part
Quintesson

Here in Italy speed limits range from 110 kph to 140 kph (2 and 3 lane highway), with the obvious exceptions of some extremely curvy stretches where the limit might go down to 90 (usually on mountain passes).
There are also some parts where the limit is 150 kph.

As to the real cruising speed, well, it depends on traffic. with 3 lanes, on a normal day it's 120 on middle lane and ~160 on the fastest, with the occasional low flying muscle car at 180+...
A stricter speed limit enforcement system has been approved last year, and in fact there have been 25% less mortal accidents than in 2002, but the speeding hasn't changed that much.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #22
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
80 ~ 90 mph here. however during night time people tend to go overboard. I usually drive mine at 240mph sometimes.
Umm yeah right, and cars can fly. [img]tongue.gif[/img] That's like 380kph I don't even know any non-grand-prix car capable of going that fast. Did you mean 240kph? Even that is a little high to believe! Not many cars can go that fast either.

[ 02-10-2004, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-10-2004, 08:11 PM   #23
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Speed limit on the highways here in lil ol NZ are 100kph (62.14mph), most tend to stick to the limit these days but you get a reasonable percentage doing about 10kph (6.214mph) above and an annoying smaller percentage that do between 10 and 20kph (6.214 to 12.428mph) slower [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Managed to get my Ford Laser up to 160kph once also managed to get around $2000nz in speeding fines in the year that I owned it... pretty sad considering I only paid $1500nz for the car [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2004, 08:38 PM   #24
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
80 ~ 90 mph here. however during night time people tend to go overboard. I usually drive mine at 240mph sometimes.
Umm yeah right, and cars can fly. [img]tongue.gif[/img] That's like 380kph I don't even know any non-grand-prix car capable of going that fast. Did you mean 240kph? Even that is a little high to believe! Not many cars can go that fast either. [/QUOTE]Yes he must certainly be out there flapping on this one. If my memory holds me, 209mph is the fastest a production super car goes. But then again, some PC games allow you to break rules!

However, 240km is not really that fast. My 01 VW VR6 will cruise 240km and top out @ 260km. Not quite super car, but fun none the less.

The Autobahn. Myths, Theroies, and Truth. From an American who has spent 14 years in Germany. For the most part the Autobahn is not speed controlled. However, there are areas that are restricted. Situation dependent from 120- 130km. Areas that are not restricted are subject to safe spped violations. Furthermore, an accident involving high speed is charged to the fastest driver(s). High speed being described as in excess of 160km (100mph). A typical German will spend 6-8 months in FORMAL driving school. An asymetrical German will spend 18-24 months in driving school, which will include 4 weeks of nothing but hands on driving in/at extreme conditions. So, when you are cruising the A-bahn at 140+km and get flashed from the rear 2 k's out, that does not mean you are ok. That means get the heck over, you are driving to slow.
In more recent times; flashing will get you a ticket if caught or reported. The use of the left turn signal is still ok, but the younger generation has less respect than the elders, and are the second main cause of high speed accidents. Seriously folks, if you are running under 200km, stay in the right lane!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:50 PM   #25
Downunda

Bugatti Veyron is a fast production car, only thing stopping it from going faster than 406kph (252.29mph)is that there are no road legal tires that are able to handle higher speeds [img]smile.gif[/img]

Solid car though and I'm thinking you'd be hard pressed to reach top speed on standard public roads or motorways.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:04 PM   #26
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Ah Bugatti *drools* now THERE is a vehicle!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:11 PM   #27
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Umm yeah right, and cars can fly. [img]tongue.gif[/img] That's like 380kph I don't even know any non-grand-prix car capable of going that fast. Did you mean 240kph? Even that is a little high to believe! Not many cars can go that fast either. [/QUOTE]* cough * let's just say the car has been modified and let's just say if I sent it to the Road and Transport department for inspection it won't pass the test. got it?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:03 AM   #28
Downunda

You got a pic Kakero? I like my fast cars [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2004, 12:34 AM   #29
wellard
Dracolisk

As mentioned the legal limit on freeways in NSW is 110 kmh but near Sydney you are lucky if you can do 1/3 of that... and they call it rush hour

In the Northern Territories say between Darwin and Alice spring, there is no speed limit on the normal roads. There isn’t enough traffic to justify freeways. I remember setting the cruise control at 170 kmh and not having to touch it for ages. The weird thing is the horizon does not seem to get closer any quicker; the countryside is so barren of features.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-11-2004, 09:50 AM   #30
ryaldin
Elminster

In montana, the speed limit used to be defined as "reasonable and prudent", about five years ago. Unfortunately, the Supreme court ruled it unconstitutional, and therefore, we have typical federal speed limits for interstates at 75 (you can usually get away with about 80) and highway speed limits set to 70 (and the standard buffer of 5 mph is applicable here as well).

Reasonable and Prudent, was of course, open to interpretation, so people who had been driving for 20 years, with no speeding tickets, no accidents, a fast car, completely updated and with the proper equipment to handle such speeds (tires, suspension, etc.) could reasonably expect to get away with 120 mph with the police right there. BUT, if your a pimply teenager who's had his licensce for four and a half months, and you own a 1984 toyota cressida, with rusted paneling and bald tires, a cracked windshield and you don't use you blinker, you couldn't really expect to get away with much over 80. It was a reasonable rule, but oh well.