Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
Huwge
Dungeon Master

Browsing in the shops on Saturday I saw W & W in a compilation box. The system specs said they all ran on XP. I guess they were lying or mistaken...or is there some mysterious version out that plays on XP. Sorry I cant remember the name of the compilation but it was for sale in Toys r Us
Old 12-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Huwge! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I have never heard of a new xp-compatible version of W&W. Usually people can make it compatible by using the tips in the tech tips, though. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-05-2005, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 12-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board Huwge!!!

If you happen to have the opportunity to find out more information on the this compliation do let us know. I did a quick look with Google but couldn't find anything - I was probably using the wrong keywords or something.

I seriously doubt that they have made an XP version. Maybe we'll see more new members here looking to learn how to make the game run on XP.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the board, Hugwe! May the fires of the Gael Serran soon rise to announce your arrival!

I've not heard of an XP-compatible version either, but that compilation that came out last year said something about it. There are instructions in the Tech Tips thread on how to get it to work with XP. Pay special attention to the virtualdub and memory issues... and FWIW, next time I'm going to try Win2k compatibility. That worked for MM7, which was giving me grief under Win 95 and 98 compatibility.

Keep us posted, and if you run into any problems, let us know [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
Huwge
Dungeon Master

I do have W&W installed on an old laptop of mine. Havent looked at it in a while. From what I remember I had problems actually controlling the game with a lack of arrow keys I believe. I popped back to the shop but there were none on the shelf.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
Shaque Nova
Welcomed New User

G'day new friends. It's great to finally be a part of Ironworks as I've had some things I wanted to say about W&W for a while now.

I have the "Essential Collection" re-release of W&W that was deigned for W95/98 in mind. The compilation you speak of may have an application that can run on XP and if I know commercial games, they have to put that on the box if they want to make a sale. Unfortunately, because of compilations, it's not really false advertising if only one of those games work on XP as they are not legally required to put individual requirements on each application unless it has self packaging. My guess is that it doesn't.

Not to fret, because there are only a few minor and simple changes to make it work under XP. The patch is useful for one. The 'townavi' files can be converted to uncompressed avi files and they work fine.

There are only 3 real issues I have with W&W on my machine.

- Firstly, and most annoyingly, the pixel detection to click on things is impossible. Sometimes I can't even click on my horse to get on or off to say nothing about locating the correct pixel that picks up serpent coins. I play the game at its highest resolution and it takes so long to pick up one coin, I just lose my temper and uninstall the game in my unbalanced haste. Seems it's only a problem on my machine though because Ive not heard a mention anywhere else. Reducing the resolution doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe it's a wheel mouse issue. I have not figured this out yet.

- Secondly, when I go out adventuring when the fields are covered in snow, entering buildings screws up the graphics. To fix this, I save the gave, close W&W completely, restart it and reload the game. This doesn't happen often because if I start a game and I see snow, I reload anyway. I hate snow. It makes navigation difficult. I have identified this issue and it's known with ATI cards, so there's news to those who didn't know.

- Finally, in one place in the whole game I get stuck and can't move. It's in the watery caves of the Serpent Temple under the serpent holds. When I try to emerge from the tunnel that leads to the idol, I get stuck just above water and my party is still drowning. At this point I can't go in any direction. I've reset the adventure dozens of times and I still can't get to this area. Not that it mattered anyway, because the idol that was required in the library was not needed as I managed to find a glitch that enabled me to get to where I needed.

Whew... that was bottling up for 6 months and had to be said. Not that any other posts I make from this point will be less than epic. For those interested here are my machine specs:

Windows XP Home SP-2
AMD Athlon 1.9GHz on Gigabyte K7
512 DDR RAM
128 ATI Sapphire Radeon 9200+
Sound Blaster Live 5.1

W&W runs fine in CD/DVD-RW but loads areas much quicker as an image on a virtual drive. Again, it's nice to be a part of Ironworks. I've been coming here for over a year getting info on W&W and IWD. I have exhausted both games and anything technical I overcome with my game hacking lore. So if I can contribute anything...

[ 01-06-2006, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Shaque Nova ]
Old 01-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Shaque Nova! May your journeys in the Gael Serran be a beacon for those who follow...

I wish the targeting area for things were larger than just a pixel or two. It does make things hard... like combat with something that's swimming or flying. Suckers keep on dodging and weaving... irritating, that is! Unfortunately, the only way to partially address it which I'm aware of is using a lower resolution so the pixels are bigger

I haven't seen the snow before that I can remember... in which maps do you see that? I'm curious now

As for that stupid silly underwater tunnel... yeah, it's annoying. The answers that are inside it are in the Best Tips thread, for those who are really stuck.

But in any case, welcome aboard! Stick around, 'cause there will be others with gaming questions, to be sure... and besides, you still haven't said what kind of party you've used, your most and least favorite spells, any weird game combinations you've played.... practically nothing at all!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Shaque Nova!!!

Thanks for the update information on the rerelease

Have you tried running the game with the modifications specified in the Tech Tips thread - (great thread put together by some regulars here!) - for running the game on an XP machine?

While there have been complaints about picking up objects in W&W I've never heard of anyone having to pick just the right "pixel". Nor have I heard of the snow effect before. I suppose the older this game gets the more interesting problems will occur.

The underwater passage in the Serpent Temple has been a problem for so many players, generally the best advice is to choose your smallest character and wiggle and gyrate. One member who had got stuck there recently managed to get through! The purpose of the idol is to aquire the Book of Servants which contains the answers needed for the ritual. The answers/responses are posted in the Best Tips thread but seems like you have that problem covered.

Do keep us posted on how your game is going! Hope you can manage to solve that snow problem, that would be annoying!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
Shaque Nova
Welcomed New User

Quite right, I should spill it all before I whine like a mule. Okay, every game I've played the entire party ascends to nearly every role, but because I've played the game only a few squillion times, I've found that a good balance of hacking ability and magic is essential. I've hardly seen many disciplines outside my own, but I like the Valkyrie, Zenmaster, Assassin, Barbarian, Warlock and Samurai combination best. I've read recently in this forum that another person has the exact same line-up, but his methods seem more refined than mine. Plus I don't know why I choose humans mainly. Maybe I'm subconsciously prejudiced against rodents and pachiderms.

As for magic, well, I don't really have a favorite because I usually like to hack 'n slash my way through a game, but if there was one, it would be something like the elemental blast or the spectral raven. I like magics that give a WHACK and a good nose bleed. I'm too afraid to use wide blasting magics in case I cook my own butt in the process. Healing spells are a godsend. I don't like using status effect spells unless it's 100% neccesary. Weakening spells take the fun out of fighting, but weapon enhancing spells and defensive spells come in handy.

About the snow glitch I got, on a snowy day on the first map (between Velaia and Ishad Nha), when I enter the buildings like the crypt or serpent temple, once I'm inside, the indoor graphics act strange as though it's still using the snow textures. The walls all turn white and movement is near impossible because all the objects are white too. This also screws up parts of Toad Village, the cave at River's End and other small structures. After searching around different forums, I eventually stumbled on a European bloggs site that mentioned it was a known ATI issue. When I read about it, I didn't bother trying to find a solution, I just figured it was my hard luck and I overcame the problem with my save/reload method.

About the "pick-a-pixel-you-stupid-cursor" problem, I reduced the game to 640 x 480 and 16 bit mode with software support, (gak!) it didn't seem to change a thing save for a larger cursor and fewer pixels to detect. If anything, I stand a better chance for an object to have several more million pixels to click on. My standard desktop is usually set to 1024 to 1200 depending on what applications I use and the game compatibility doesn't seem to make a difference, although on its first install, it was automatically set to Windows 95 mode. It seems to work fine in any mode. Go figure.

Last one, you wanted to know a wierd combination I tried? Man, I got so inventive I tried to make my party a group of human Valkyrie babes, once a group of Oompahz and even a party or rogues. I found the Valkyrie party was bloody hard to do and I never survived long enough to get any but I made them all Paladins, which kind of took away a few defences. The Oompahz pack I hardly found anything for them to equip until much later in the game, so I burned there too even though they made good fighters. The rogues would have worked if I made them all assassins, but I think only one of them can be. The rest I made ninjas, but the game got boring. The hardest game I ever played is when I had a mix of races and sexes and decided to make them monks. In the process, I stopped and thought, hey, I wonder how far I can go without equipping a thing? All I can say is that it was very hard but a lot of frantic fun. I recommend this challenge as it sometimes scares the pants off you. Those great big poison plants are an absolute bugger to overcome barehanded. Some areas were near impossible to pass so I died a lot.

Other bored avenues was to change the game's graphics and sounds. That was fun for a while, but only got annoying later. The last game I played, I used a roster editor and trainer and cheated my butt off. I turned into a wuss, it was so easy I spoiled the game and lost interest for a few months. Now I am here seeking redemption. Sorry again for the epic post. [img]smile.gif[/img]

----------------
This is a quick edition as I was posting this, Wyvern made a mention so I'm just gonna add:

You know it didn't even occur to me about wiggling with the smallest character? That's so dumb of me to forget that tactic because I recall reading about that here when I tried to go down some stairs in the crypt and up stairs in Shuragen Castle and got stuck both times. Thanx Wyvern. I completely forgot about the character's carriage.

The snow glitch happens rarely, but I will take a snap next time it happens. As for the pixel glitch, I meant a mesh glitch. It just seems that 50% of the mesh can be clicked on. Backface rendering of a selectible-by-cursor object can possibly cause every second polygon to cancel the other 50% out on some card/mouse combinations. It is way too much work to re-render all clickable objects in the game and not plausible if only a few card/mouse combinations have this glitch. I do quite a lot of 3D art and animation commercially and I have run into this problem once or twice. I personally believe that it's a rare problem unless all the mesh objects in W&W are backface rendered. This was never a problem with Windows 95/98/Me because objects were clickable as long as it hovered over a visable polygon. Since XP, objects use alpha blending which may conflict with the way objects are rendered. (Don't quote me on that last part because I can't be 100% sure on it.) Bugger, I gotta stop making one post so long-winded. [img]redface.gif[/img] Thanx again guys, you really are veritable fountains of info.

[ 01-07-2006, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Shaque Nova ]
Old 01-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Been away a few days.

Nice to have you with us, Shaque Nova. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

And nice to see that you have been well answered. [img]smile.gif[/img]