Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-26-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

It's impossible to find a bloody Canadian person that did a heroic action in World War One who was in the navy. But, in the hopes that one of you souls would have more luck and knowledge than me in wielding the mighty Google, I'm posting it here in the hopes that someone might find something. Go forth and search, my comrades! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 11-26-2004, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 11-27-2004, 05:26 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Dude, seriously, do your own homework.

But, if it's any help, you may want to think a little on what your definition of 'heroic' is. Maybe you can't find any heroes because your idea of heroism is unrealistic.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:38 AM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Sorry to tell you, they're all dead! You won't find them via goggle search either!

Really though, sometimes the old fashioned way might be more fruitful. i.e. The Library!

I'll send and email to a brainy friend and tell him to post here if he knows anything.

[ 11-27-2004, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 12-27-2004, 08:05 PM   #4
spydar

My opa was in the navy in WW1, k so it was the Dutch navy and he lied about his age to get in and then didn't come to Canada until after the liberation of Holland after WW2 but he was in the navy and he did become a Canadian.

I realize this is an old post but I'm really bored...

might also have trouble since in WW1 we were still technically a part of the British Dominion and most Canadian forces were under British leadership. it wasn't until WW2 that we declared war ourselves. If I'm remembering the 6 years Canadian history was beaten into my skull correctly that is. I resisted valiantly but obviously there are still some residual traces.

...so very bored...

[ 12-27-2004, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: spydar ]
Old 12-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Sorry to tell you, they're all dead! You won't find them via goggle search either!

Really though, sometimes the old fashioned way might be more fruitful. i.e. The Library!

I'll send and email to a brainy friend and tell him to post here if he knows anything.
Ummm no they are not all dead. I was watching Canadian Am this morning at work. It was playing in the background And I do believe that they said there was 6 people still alive that were in the war. I will have to check.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:08 PM   #6
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Here is one just by doing a cross reference on Canadian Victoria cross recipiants by that time frame. Not many navel ones in that list and the reason you are probably having difficulty finding heroes is because you are talking about vessels and crews accomplishing missions and doing heroic deeds. You might be better off looking up navel vessels with a great accomplishment and then finding out more about there commanding officers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_...d_Louis_Bourke

As someone also suggested you may have more luck at the Library.

[ 12-29-2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]