Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 10-26-2000, 05:39 AM   #1
Laurence
Welcomed New User

I am playing on my games partition 4.5Gb free and its only crashed to desktop once, after 4 hrs play. (128Mb RAM, Matrox G400 5.41 drivers).

But my wife wanted a go, so after having a problem with her creating a party on my copy of the game I copied the whole folder to drive C:.

C: has my Windows and swapfile on it, 2.5Gb free after this.

Her game runs fine initially, but a couple of times has crashed to desktop after just 10 minutes.
Currently Windows is set to manage virtual memory, but I am wondering if there might be a problem with the swapfile competing with game temporary files for disk space.
Yes, I know now, if I had returned my party to the inn before trying to start her party I wouldn't have had the problem, but I didn't, and I don't want to ask her to re-create her party yet again (done it twice already!)
Any suggestions? - thanks,
Old 10-26-2000, 06:58 AM   #2
Regis
Welcomed New User

Check your power management settings for C:. If, as I suspect, your second hard drive is merely for storage (as is mine), with no OS installed, it has no software for this. However, your C: Drive will, and it may be interfering with the game. Another possibility may be that by copying the files over directly the game cannot take into account the change in addressing if it's using any registry settings.
Old 10-26-2000, 10:14 AM   #3
Laurence
Welcomed New User

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure I understood it.
Power management for HDD is set to "Never" - I checked that after seeing earlier posts, standby after 1 hour. Of course, it is possible that when someone says they've played W&W for 10-15mins it was possibly 1 hour, but it is the copy on D: that runs pretty much OK, on C: crashing although I have tested it for up to 10 minutes and it was OK. (If registry was unhappy I would not expect it to run at all).

On reflection, I want 2 different copies anyway as I don't want to have to share savegame slots - they're fairly limited already!
Mainly I am wondering if I should set a max swapfile size, to stop Windows re-sizing it - say, 1 Gb would leave W&W 1.5Gb to play with?