Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #21
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, were to start...
First, Thats a good question Kaltia. What about the radio? Is recording music that is broadcast, for your own entertainment, theft? I myself download music just to look for new music to buy.

Second, Yorick, I do write and play my own music and think its ridiculous and
and petty to harbor ones art for money. Thats not even art to me. Thats sellout music and even if I was making a living with my art, I would take advantage of the outlet that PtoP music sharing is.

I would like to see some stats on the ratio of people who download to avoid buying, and people who download to buy.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:18 PM   #22
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

In my opinion, the people who download gigs of mp3 are usually teens and preteens who probably could not afford much anyway.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:29 PM   #23
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Kaltia:

I don't know about England's radio, but since it has a population roughly thirty times my country's, I assume they have decent radio stations. Here in New Zealand, we have roughly four radio stations. They constantly play the same songs over and over so that people will buy certain albums, read: Linkin Park's 'somewhere I belong'. Often, bands which radio is reluctant to back are the kinds of bands I like, read: Slipknot. I do NOT download music to copy to disc or anything like that. It is a simple try before you buy. That said, I still disagree with many aspects of downloading copywriting material from the Internet.

I do not download music any more, nor do I have any MP3s on my computer. I'd rather spend the money to buy the proper CD, because that way I am not only supporting the artist, I have the cover slip, and all the other features.

LordKathen and Luvian both make valid points, too. Simply put, if I lived in a nation with adequate radio services, I would not have any reason to download music. Regardless, I don't do it anymore, anyway.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:26 PM   #24
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

the trick is to get a job with the government so they can't come after you for downloading tons of music, I wonder how much music these 4 teenagers downloaded to get these charges slapped on them... Let's face it, I've got Mp3s from like 80,000 differint bands, albums, etc... and None of them even have CDs for Sale in the United States, So I don't see anything wrong with it [img]tongue.gif[/img] Now I'm not about to go and download "popular" music either, but that's just because it's absolute junk and lacks expressionalism anyway, but I'm not about to argue... If you like Eminem... go ahead, jump on in with that Slim-shady-8-mile-DVD-buying-look-a-like crowd... That's your own opinion, personally I like to express myself by being differint [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2003, 01:53 AM   #25
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
the trick is to get a job with the government so they can't come after you for downloading tons of music, I wonder how much music these 4 teenagers downloaded to get these charges slapped on them... Let's face it, I've got Mp3s from like 80,000 differint bands, albums, etc... and None of them even have CDs for Sale in the United States, So I don't see anything wrong with it [img]tongue.gif[/img] Now I'm not about to go and download "popular" music either, but that's just because it's absolute junk and lacks expressionalism anyway, but I'm not about to argue... If you like Eminem... go ahead, jump on in with that Slim-shady-8-mile-DVD-buying-look-a-like crowd... That's your own opinion, personally I like to express myself by being differint [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well said DK. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2003, 02:10 AM   #26
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Eagerly awaiting your reply, Kaltia.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #27
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
I've got Mp3s from like 80,000 differint bands, albums, etc... and None of them even have CDs for Sale in the United States, So I don't see anything wrong with it
You're a thief. 80,000 bands?? You are a shameless thief D.K. Ever heard of IMPORTS?. How are the bands going to get releases in America if every American steals their music because they can't get an American release? You've been kicking those without a break. The ones that NEED your dollars much more than those fortunate enough to get an American release.

[ 04-07-2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 04-07-2003, 02:29 PM   #28
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by pcgiant:
Eagerly awaiting your reply, Kaltia.
Do you or do you not have windows media player? It has the ability to locate radio stations on the internet. Whilst I cannot garuntee that they are of the greatest legality (I listen to Xfm, for you Londoners), it's still better than downloading music.

That's part of the artist's wages, man, you might as well take your coworker's wages for yourself.

[ 04-07-2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:33 PM   #29
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Internet radio over a 56K modem? I can barely listen to IW radio without a minute's loading time for 10 seconds of audio.

IW radio is the best!!! *sigh* I remember the first time I listened to it... Memnoch, Growing Lich AKA Bob and I (among others who weren't posting) listening to Ziroc's tired ramblings They were so funny [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

(in redneck voice) This is a land. There are lots of lakes here. I shall call it LAKELAND! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] Aaaah, memories.

Anyway, my point is, I don't download music anymore. My rebellious wild days are over. I might try to look into some Internet radio later tonight.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:45 PM   #30
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

There are soooooooo many problems trying to apply old rules to new technology. I bought many cassette tapes when I was a young teen. Even though I have long lost the originals, do I still have license to the music? Can I copy it off the internet and claim it is now a backup copy? Can I allow people on the internet to listen to music files on my computer as long as the file isn't transferred and is plyed from my storage location? If I can't do that then why am I allowed to play music for everyone at a party or a club? Why am I allowed to use a VCR to record my favorite TV show or movie playing on TV or music playing over the radio and yet not allowed to record music transmitted over the internet? It's a tough mess! There is a lot of serious work needed in this area! The recording industry is also going to have to realize that selling CD's is on it's way out the door and that buying single tracks that are going to be digitally stored is where it's going. Look at the new MP3 players. It will be rough for profits as they will no longer be able to prepackage unpopular music with the popular to force it's sale. Pricing per song will also not allow the quandry of a twenty song CD costing the same as a ten song CD. Like I said, it's going to require a lot of work and change to straighten this mess out.