Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I posted a few weeks ago about the strange noise I periodically get when booting one of my computers. Consensus was (based on what info was available) that it was probably the CPU fan.

Well, I replaced the CPU fan, and on the first boot, it made the nasty whirring sound again. It ain't that... so I'm looking for ideas.

I'm down to a hard drive or the power supply fan. And I've got a new behavior this morning... spontaneous reboots. Happened at least three times, and since I was looking at the internal diagnostics (temperature monitor, etc.), I could see that everything was within appropriate limits (well below the listed maximums).

Any suggestions? I think I'm en route to pick up a new power supply at lunch, but I'd welcome any input.

Thanks.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
philip
Galvatron

IRQ problems for the random reboots perhaps? I had random reboots just cause I added a card and windows seems to screw up even the easiest thing because of m$ logic. Have you changed or added any cards since you got those reboots
Old 04-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I had funny noise from my Pc that turned out to be the video card fan and called Nvidia about it. They said that this was a common problem with the fan on the GeForce 3 and sent me a new fan free.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Monitor the temperature inside the computer Bungleau. Perhaps something is getting a tad too warm. speedfan is a nice tool. Otherwise disable the fan on your video card and see if the noise disappears. If you have adquate ventilation of your computer you don't need that fan anyway.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The last time it rebooted, the side of the computer was wide open, so that's about as temperature friendly as I can imagine.

I haven't added anything in that would cause IRQ conflicts in at least a month... and that was a new vid card.

And that new vid card doesn't have a fan, so there's no point in disabling it [img]smile.gif[/img] Although I could rip off the heat sink... naaaaahhhhh....

My wife just rebooted, and it started making noises again. I just narrowed the source of the noise down to the power supply (sound, and moving the supply slightly changed the sound), so I'll be replacing it with a new one shortly.

Discovered at lunch that my favorite local PC supply store is closing up shop. Bummer! Well, at least I can be a good vulture and pick up whatever bargains are there. I've been looking for a new machine...

Thanks, all.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:32 PM   #6
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Does the hard drive make a strange noise when rebooting? It's just that I used to have rebooting issues, but mine was cos of a defunkt Hard drive. Just an idea...
Old 04-08-2004, 04:44 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

My friend's Ati video card made a strange noise from it's fan. He called Ati and it's a common problem, but they won't fix your card.