Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-07-2004, 11:10 PM   #21
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
If the machine doesn't re-detect the keyboard, how are you worse off than you are now? Other than you'll know that you have to reinstall everything... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Do try logging in as a different user, if you've got one set up. Also, when you tab to NEXT, you may be able to get by with hitting space bar, return, or "N" to activate it.

FWIW, my first forays into fixing computers involved adding memory. Quite simple, really. Then it was adding a hard drive, and I finally decided to build one. It's really quite easy, as long as you can read the instructions and can check with someone else (like, say, the IW boards? ) when you're not completely sure what it means. I've now built my last two from scratch, and rebuilt several others for various reasons. It keeps getting easier...
Thanks for all the suggestions. Using the TAB key FINALLY did the trick!!! [img]graemlins/yippee.gif[/img]

The only way I would have been worse off if the system didn't re-detect the keyboard was that the machine would have then be completely non-functional until I got it fixed. PLUS, it would have meant taking it back to the PC Shop to see if they could re-set it. I really wanted to fix the problem myself and avoid any more repair bills. But if the TAB key suggestion hadn't worked, then there wouldn't have been anything to lose by at least trying an "un-install" on the keyboard.

But no worries (at least for now). The system is back up and running. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 12:31 AM   #22
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Cool! Now... make a backup of the system, in case you need to restore to it again later... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:07 AM   #23
Animal
Gold Dragon

To put your mind at ease a bit, and upgrade version of XP is just fine and is no different than a regular version. You don't need to have 9x installed to use it, you just need to have a 9x CD.

Glad you got things fixed. Sometimes the best way to learn is through trial and error. It sounds to me like the shop to which you have been taking your PC has seen enough of your money! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 05:05 AM   #24
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

..now chain the Demon child back up in it's room!