Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #21
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Glad your back and all is well Dan. You just made my day. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #22
Stratos
Vampire

Glad you're OK, Z.

Now, about that video clip...
Old 09-27-2004, 11:55 AM   #23
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I know that moving would mean more off time for IW, but man, move out of that place! It's just not a good atmosphere for you, so ride the winds of change. Man, do I make bad puns or what? Anyway, glade to see everyone OK after this! And yeah, where is the clip?
Old 09-27-2004, 01:15 PM   #24
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

Z, you should move [img]smile.gif[/img] Seriously, I'm glad all is well. I just have one question...how has Choc held up during this weather?
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 09-29-2004, 03:53 PM   #25
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Anyone hring in NC ?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:54 PM   #26
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Awww! My poor Orange-boy is tired of getting battered by bad weather.

Well, Elif...if you promise to drive like a sane human being with some sense, I'll make an exception for "Florida drivers" and let you come to Georgia.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, though...that's been a bad turn down there and I truly do hope that all my friends and family down there came through it okay. I haven't heard from everyone I know in Florida yet, but I keep hoping all is well.

And I wouldn't blame any of you living there for wanting to go ahead and get out of the state since all this has happened.

[ 09-29-2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Lady Sedai ]
Old 09-30-2004, 02:17 PM   #27
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Elif Godson:
Anyone hring in NC ?
Probably not much that would interest people here in the mountains. We are very rural and the nearest "big cities" are all 2 hours away (Atlanta, Chattanooga & Knoxville TN, and Asheville NC).

Of course, there are larger cities. Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh and Durham (Research Triangle - lots of "tech" jobs there), Fayeteville and Wilmington come to mind off the top of my head.

Asheville isn't really very large - but it's the biggest city in the western end of the state (where I live). Charlotte, Winston-Salem and Greensbore are in the Piedmont area (middle of the state). Raleigh, Durham and Fayeteville are towards the east and Wilmington is on the coast.

The funny thing about NC is that the Piedmont area often gets the worst weather. Our winter here in the mountains was relatively mild last year (lows in the 20's; highs in the 30's and 40's). I run the Purchasing Dept of my hospital and have to unload all of our trucks by hand - but I only wore a coat to work about 6 times last year. The rest of the time I just wore a sweatshirt with a regular T-shirt underneath. Meanwhile, my friends that live in Charlotte and surrounding areas got BLASTED with two major ice storms and some of them were without power for almost a week.

You HAVE to like a slower pace of life to live in the mountains. Many people come here and are horrified to learn the nearest mall is over 100 miles away. Wal-Mart is our biggest store in town, but the internet does help bring the world closer (through forums like this and for buying stuff not available around here).

The upside is that our crime rate is relatively low. We do have our share of drug dealers and the like and there have even been a couple of "gangland style" murders that the police believe are the result of disputes between drug dealers and some of the people selling for them. But there are still plenty of people who leave their doors unlocked at night and even more who leave their cars unlocked when they go into the stores.

The weather is fairly nice all year round (though I would personally like to see more snow) and the people are some of the friendliest you will ever meet.

Just depends on what you're looking for.