Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 03-23-2003, 02:42 AM   #1
firithwingion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just to start out, this post is intended to pick out which is the best choice for a ranger's chosen enemy list. As usual, the most beneficial opponents IMO would be either the ones who are 1. very very tough, or 2. very very common. Common monsters will make more use out of the ranger's favored enemies ability and tough monsters can be VERY annoying in HoF, which would hopefully be offset by favored enemies. For this ranger i've decided that my mages can handle the tough guys and ill concentrate on killing the masses, so... If anyone can help me deduce which enemies are the most common I'd be much appreciated.

So far i've already spent 2 points on favored enemies, the two are 1. Troll and 2. Yuan-Ti.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:41 AM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Goblin. in HOF mode they are the toughest and very annoying.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
Dilbert
Elite Waterdeep Guard

undead are also very common
Dilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 11:18 AM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

However, goblins and orcs only show up in the first part of the game. Once you leave in the airship, you won't see any more of them, except for the undead orcs in the Fields of Slaughter.

The game shows a lot of variety in each section, so it's not easy to choose enemies based on frequency.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yuan-ti and Driders would be good choices, and if you pick them first, by the time you get to that part you will have a high bonus against them. Hook Horrors might not be a bad choice either.

As was said, orc and goblins are almost only in the first part of the game, so it might not be the best choices. That, and it's also boring when every rangers has Orc and Goblins as his racial enemies.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:45 PM   #6
firithwingion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, how's this for a list setup:

Troll (already picked)
Yuanti (already picked)
Driders
Hook Horrors
Giants

I'll throw away the last two since they will only give me a +1/+2 bonus, not that substantial by the time my ranger/fighter hits around level 25(since i'm playing in HoF). he should be able to waste almost anything without a sweat. What I'm most worried about is the top 4 picks, since by the near end it will give me a +4/+5/+6 bonus to attack and damage, which is quite substantial.

Tell me if i should re-arrange my list or add in something other than Giants and Hook horrors. thanks for the help
Old 03-23-2003, 03:40 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

It seem nice. There is not a lot of giants in the game, but then again, there is not a lot of other kind of enemies, either.