Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 03-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Archer dps

Is it just me or is it that Archer dps is just plain bad compare to melee dps or mage?

My archer is Leliana and I can't seem to see her kill any foes by herself. Heck even my pc (sword and board tank) can kill enemies. Not to mention she used up those bolts/arrows very fast.

Any tip on how to build a solid archer dps?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Re: Archer dps

dexterity dexterity and more dexterity ---> I am using her myself - but I don't use for pure dps - try using the suppressing fire - its really handy and scattershot is simply imba in order to hamper enemies.

I guess my point is that its better to look at archery as a support function - I normally use it to interrupt spellcasters though - in that regard it simply rocks as I can then close the distance with my assasin and knife the mages robes into something that Zirocs kitty toyed with!
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Yup, I pump her dexterity but still I'm not satisfied with her performance.

For 4 man party I don't think I have rooms for free loader. If that character can't perform off she goes waiting at the camp.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion

Scattershot is one of the most useful things with multiple enemies. Arrow of slaying can do 150+ damage - my rogue PC did 372 damage with an arrow of slaying on one memorable occasion.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Arrow of slaying is not infinite no? One of my biggest QQ about archery is that they used up those ammos very fast.

I did invest Leliana's point into scattershot. I set her tactic to use that skill when the she/pc is surrounded by 3 enemies. But the damage isn't noticeable.

Either that or it's because Morrigan just simply kill every enemies super fast with her aoe spells (Fireball+Tempest+Blizzard). LOL
Old 03-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Remember you don't HAVE to equip arrows - I normally save my arrows for Boss fights - or just sell them for the gold they generate is preeeetty good.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 03-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Hi folks, it's been a while!

I have found Leliana to be one of the heaviest hitters in my party this playthrough. Currently at level 21.

First Specialization: Bard
Second Spec: Ranger

Strength: 20 (to wear the best light armour)
Dexterity: 35 (to get all the Archery talent trees + Evasion + best bows)
Willpower: enough to have Song of Courage + summoned beast and have some stamina left for a couple of tricks during battle
Cunning: max this out (make sure to take the Lethality rogue talent as early as possible, yes it works with ranged weapons).
Ignore the other stats.

Looking at her Heroic Accomplishments stats, her highest damage dealt was 549, which beats everyone else several times over. That's just with default ammo, I'm saving special ammo for when she really needs it.

Arrow of Slaying is a talent not a special ammo, yes it has a long cooldown, but used at the right moment it can be deadly. Scattershot doesn't do a great deal of damage to the main target, but is useful because it can briefly stun a clustered group of enemies - fling this into a group of distant archers to take the heat off your front line fighters. Add in the bard talents and a summoned animal to help, and Leliana is a force to be reckoned with.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Sparhawk
Quintesson

level 21? - isn't the game capped at 20?

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Level 25, I think.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
Epona
Zartan

Yep, the level cap is 25