Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2003, 05:32 AM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

I'm at the two year's left point of retiring from the military, and am considering going with The First Lady's proposal of 'from the battlefield to the classroom'.
What I have:
Over 21 yrs active continuous service. 24yrs when I retire summer 05.
2 yr degree in applied science/computer science
technical in computer science management
MS-OS and Office cetificates not MSCSE or A+(yet)
Spent 3 years as an instructor and really enjoyed it.

Would major in computer science.
What is the real deal thrill of being a teacher?
I have taught, mentored, and guided for the last 15 years, so I fully understand that feeling of fullfillment. But these were 19 yr old Privates, and my young junior NCOs. Not a classroom full of independent thinkers/conversationist.

Tanks,
Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Vainly bumping for Father Bronze or Sazerac [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2003, 01:16 PM   #3
Gammit
Elminster

It all really depends on the community that you work for/your attitude towards them. The soldiers you taught will very likely have a completely different mindset than your average student nowadays. I have worked in many districts where 90% of the students act like you're torturing them by even being there, and this is pretty common. But the better teacher you are, the more you care, and the more excited you are about what you're teaching, the more they seem to listen and respect you. Plus, when you get that one student who tells you that you really helped him/her out, and he/she appreciates it, it all becomes worth it. I say go for it, and besh wishes.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

DoDDs... Your Military History would get you a shoe in, You instantly get upgraded to a GS12 in Rank and all you have to do is handel Military Brats, both My parents are military teachers, I recomend it as a career (generally pays $50,000 a year + free room and board pretty sweet deal teach in baraign and make twice as much I think)
Old 04-21-2003, 01:36 PM   #5
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Oh and I should say that as a guy who'se working on his comp science degree We could REALLY and i mean REALLY REALLY REALLY use a guy like you down in GTMO to teach some comp science classes, either for City Colleges or Troy state or one of the military sponsors, the civilians and soldiers could greatly benefit from your experteese, just a thought [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2003, 12:21 AM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
DoDDs... Your Military History would get you a shoe in, You instantly get upgraded to a GS12 in Rank and all you have to do is handel Military Brats, both My parents are military teachers, I recomend it as a career (generally pays $50,000 a year + free room and board pretty sweet deal teach in baraign and make twice as much I think)
Did not realize GS12 was that quick on the teachers scale. Most of the ones here are only 7-9s, with a few 12s that have 15+ years.
Free room and board, is that not the same as living on Post when assigned overseas? Last stateside I had the teachers were all home owners in the community.
As far as GTMO, you and all of your class mates will have rotated by the time I have completed my schooling and certifications.

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:54 AM   #7
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

Stay away from the teachers' unions.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:56 PM   #8
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Yeah but even if we've rotated there will always be JTF and Navy personel who will need classes down here... Especially if Bush tries to take on Kastro after Siria >_> hoo boy...
Old 04-23-2003, 05:21 PM   #9
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

I think that your greatest job satisfaction will come if you teach an age group that is generally looking to learn. That would be grades 1-5 or skip up to the college level. Junior and Senior high schools will have you tied down with extra duties and jobs that aren't related to teaching at all. In public schools (generally) the students aren't motivated to learn and have many outside distractions and political considerations make things stressful at times. College age people are at least paying for the honor to be in your class. If they show up they are at least motivated to get their money's worth.