Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-12-2001, 08:53 AM   #21
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Is it possible to play and beat the game without cleric??

I never thinked about it and I played all my FRP games with a cleric. But I noticed that druids also got cool spells, they also heal so why not? Is it possible? What do you say
Old 09-12-2001, 08:55 AM   #22
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Is it possible to play and beat the game without cleric??

I never thinked about it and I played all my FRP games with a cleric. But I noticed that druids also got cool spells, they also heal so why not? Is it possible? What do you say a party without CLERIC, mage druid and paladin.

------------------
"A silent blade does not cut always best..
A tender touch from the heart may heal the wounds of my friends..
Or a song from the heart..
A duet with nymphs..
Forget 'bout nymphs, let's play KISS!!"

-Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan

"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears my wingless bird.."

From Heart
To Aerie
Old 09-12-2001, 11:39 AM   #23
PoesRaven
Manshoon

Thanks for all your ideas and replies, It's always interesting to hear other peoples opinions on characters and party make-ups.

One question raised regularly here was the DO I NEED A CLERIC?!?!? one, and i must say that i know a few online gamers who absolutely detest clerics and druids in all their forms!! One in particular (I'll call him bob, just in case he reads this, or someone here knows him) set about trying to kill all the NPC clerics from the start of SOA!!! In my opinion, the game can be completed without this sub-class in your party if you can acquire the necessary undead killing weapons (Mace of Disruption +2 etc), and you have at lest one GOOD spellcaster in your party (recommend Edwin, coz he is the only single Mage class npc). Bob has assured me that he completed the game with the following party:

Minsc
Mazzy
Edwin
Nalia (Imoen later)
Yoshimo (dualled to fighter, later replaced by Valygar)

Although even he will admit that killing Jaihera straight off in Irenicus Dungeon was a bit of a mistake , and not taking aerie early on meant a serious struggle with the earlier undead quests and having to take on the harder NPC quests too early. HOWEVER, bob has just started TOB with this saved party, and is (apparently) gettin his ar5e kicked up and down

I advised him to try adding Viconia, he said he'll think about it.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:48 AM   #24
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I love Haer'Dalis and Jan - good personality and chat-lines, as well as useful skills!

I find Aerie a bit trying in some ways, but despite her timid personality she is courageous and is a healer as well as a mage.

Jaheira is irritating, but loyal. Not a bad figher, and a reasonably good healer as well.

Khalid would be my chice of fighter if he were still alive MUCH the best fighter, even if he appears timid. But since we can't have him....

It's a toss-up whether I take Minsc or Keldorn. I prefer Minsc for personality, though.

My created character varies. I PREFER Mage types, but there are enough mages in the game anyway, so, since I do not want Viconia, (she's BAD!) I generally go for a pure Cleric or dual a fighter to Cleric, so that I have the hit points and good (cleric) weapons skills once she has surpassed the fighter level.

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 01:00 PM   #25
hagimihale
Manshoon

I think this answer depends on what class & alignment your main character is. I'm currently using a Neutral Good Sorcerer with Minsc, Anomen (having passed his test, he's becoming more powerful and may be worthwhile keeping), Jahiera, Jan and Viconia. Will be swapping out Viconia with Nalia and then other NPCs go to through the quests before deciding on who to keep in that 6th slot permanently. Thinking of adding another tank and Mazzy, Valyar or Keldorn may win out.

1. If using a mage, I think you need at least 2 tanks in there: Minsc, Anomen, Mazzy, Valygar and/or Keldorn would all work. If an evil alignment, substitute Korgan of course. If your character is a fighter type, you may only need 1 tank and can keep that other spot open.

2. Unless your protaganist is a thief, I would recommend at least 1 of them: preferably Jan or Yoshi. Nalia has SOME thieving skills (I think she dual-classed to mage at level 4), as does Imoen. Personally I think Jan is the most balanced of the bunch for SoA (and the most interesting from a personality perspective) Jan, Nalia and Imoen give you mage skills as well, while Yoshi's main benefit (from what I can gather) is his ability to set traps and snares.

3. This leaves you two or three open slots for magic use. I think at least 1 cleric is called for, although Jahiera may suffice as a druid. I'm not as high on Aerie as some (although I admit she IS adorable) as her mediocre intelligence and wisdom limits the # of spells she can learn, but she IS a very versatile character. I've never used Edwin but his high # of spells is well known and he would seem to be a great match if your character is a Neutral or Evil Fighter or Thief subclass.

Between the 6 characters I think its best if you have 3 who have spell capabilities, 2 who can be used as tanks and 2 who are skilled at ranged weapons. Note that some of them (Jan for instance) may cover more than one of these areas.

My next run through the game will probably be played as a Paladin, meaning that spell capability will be a premium. Aerie, Jan and Nalia will probably be in the party. Anomen may also make the grade. Jahiera, Mazzy, Valygar and Minsc will battle it out for that last spot.

Sorry for the length here, but this post is one that I am constantly thinking about myself. The various combinations (and how the NPCs interact) is very intriguing, and although I am nowhere near the end of the game I am already looking forward to my 2nd (and 3rd - with an evil party) try. Hope this helps!
Old 09-12-2001, 01:08 PM   #26
DEADMAN
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Hojou:
I feel like i'm missing out on something here

I forgot what the bounty hunters name is, but why didn't anyone pick him?
Do you think i should diss any of these guys? And what alternatives would be good? Keep in mind i'm still in the city (been to all parts of it, but didn't solve all the quests yet).
There is a spoiler involved with this answer, I used him though. And for the sphere, that is part of a quest you get from the cowled wizards and you'll need Valgr.

on yoshimo
. He betrays you later so you want to have him at first in chapt one, after that its up to you and there is a subqiest later with his heart. Plus I like his interaction
Old 09-12-2001, 01:11 PM   #27
DEADMAN
Manshoon

Oh, I forgot my party:

fighter/magic-user/thief (me) I like covering my bases, plus this is my bg1 character

Minsc ( too cool, Boo rules!)
Jaheria
Aerie
Anomen
Imoen (been with me since bg1, cant leave her behind.)
Old 09-12-2001, 10:55 PM   #28
Baron Nocturna
Dungeon Master

I haven't needed a Cleric. Jaheira handles most functions and all I need to do is use the Amulet of power on my Skald (with Azuredge) and the have Jaheria cast Neg Plane protect on Minsc with the mace O' Disruption and I have a two pronged wrecking crew of the undead. Use an undead hunter all you have to do is send him in a room alone . If I used a cleric, it would have to be a created character. The clerics in this game are either lame or dual classed and thus raise in levels too slowly. Viconia may be ok, but you have to lose Keldorn to keep her and I am just not willing to do that UNLESS I have user created Paladin (AWESOME in the BG series).

baron Nocturna

------------------
Anyone care to see my Rod of Lordly Might?
Old 09-13-2001, 02:35 AM   #29
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

...I'm in agreement w/ Zoltan for good and evil alignments... I'm currently switching between two different games; the evil-aligned one is the same as his:

Korgan
Viconia
Edwin
Jaheira
Jan
[Mahlennacht - LE Kensai7//Thief]

[btw that's my habitual nomenclature for dual-class (double slash); Lawful Evil Kensai dualed @ lvl 7 to a thief... multiclass would be, say "CG fighter7/thief8" (single slash)]

Korgan is a riot - he hates EVERYONE (except the PC)... Viconia is a great sexy bitch-queen type... Edwin's sarcasm--plus his scroll quest gave me the biggest laugh I've had in months... Jan is so annoying with his anecdotes it's hilarious... and they're all powerful NPC's as well.

My neutral party seems to be very effective overall, at least the way I play; if I alter the makeup of this party, I feel something's missing:

Mahlennacht - Bard
Valygar
Edwin
Anomen
Jan/Imoen
Jaheira

So I have four fighters (one a 5x backstabber), three mages, two priests (a godlike cleric and a druid), a lockpicker/trapfinder, a compulsive pickpocket, and a brainiac who can ID ANYTHING ANYTIME and thus permit more lvl 1 attack spells. And they won't bitch at each other to the point of fisticuffs.

The only drawback is that I don't get as many interesting interactions, compared to those of the parties previously mentioned by others - but I'm just trying to finish the game for the first time, dammit - I've been at this since March '01 and 170+ days game-time, and I'm still only halfway thru Chapter 5. Never did I imagine that I would be playing the same game for over six months and STILL feel like replaying it when I was done. What an awesome game this is.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:16 AM   #30
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i have my main character as an elven fighter/mage. i also have another personaly made character, that is a fighter/thief. i also like to have minsc,
anomen, keldorn, and nalia in my party. seems to work out rather well.

------------------
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine