Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-30-2001, 01:26 AM   #11
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

most hated: trolls, because they never seem to collapse when they should so you can hit them with acid or fire (ive seen normal trolls take well over 100 hps of damage in less than 4 rounds, i.e. not slow enough for the regen to save them). sometimes i have to stop my party from attacking just so the damn thing can fall down.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:28 AM   #12
Baron Nocturna
Dungeon Master

Either the Black Dragon or the liches. Actually those Dark Sun Halflings suck too. Very unexpected to get slaughtered the first time by little Bilbo Baggins types...

Baron Nocturna
Old 08-30-2001, 01:59 AM   #13
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by IrishHound:
I've heard people on this board say that skeletons work well against them, but I tried it and they were hammared, so what give, anyone? Note, I used skeletons, not the skeleton warriors that you get at 15th level just in case that was intended to be used.
Yup, you are supposed to use the Lvl 15 variety. And one Death Spell will kiss all your Umber Hulks problems goodbye.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 08-30-2001, 02:06 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
Spoiler? maybe Yes , maybe No
take the time to read all the Druid Spells and Priest Spells
and you will find Mind Flayer a wimp try the Level five spell
Chaotic Commands put on your team members along with level four
spell Negative plane protection ,then walk up to any Mind Flayer
with anybody with a sword and hack him into little Bits.( works on
Umber Hulks also )
The Lich, Demilich, & Elemental Lich With all there protections
and High level spells can be considered the most hated monsters
and if your not prepaired for them and they get the jump on your
team they can ruin your whole day.
Next worst would be Vampiric Wraith because they have both strength
drain and level drain.
It was never the psionics that bothered me when it came to Mind Flayers, I know about Chaotic Command too, it is the damn Int Drain ability they have... ...

And if I recall correctly, Negative Plane Protection only protects you from Level Drain, not Int Drain.

Beholders are a joke with either Shield of Balduran or Cloak of Mirroring, they nerfed the cloak to absorb only, but the shield stills reflect... ... the Beholders petrify themselves... ...

Liches become wussies if you have a Cleric with his/her Turn Undead ability exceeding Lvl 20. They die in one round... ... or at least get repelled. A Lich not casting spells, is a dead Lich.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 08-30-2001, 09:14 AM   #15
Sorcerer Alex

Vampires! I hate them so much! Especially the really tough ones that drain more than two levels per hit. I can't stand mind flayers or beholders either. I also hate fighting drow - especially the mages, they're usually pretty difficult.

Old 08-30-2001, 10:00 AM   #16
Lochen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The Mace of Disruption is my best friend 8) ALL undead must make a save or die in one hit. Minsc knocked the drow lich down in one hit hehehe. I gave Anomen the amulet that protects against lvl drain, cloak of mirroring and the mace. Vampire killing spree =D

The black dragon was a pain in the ass. Vampires were until I got that amulet. Turn undead is a great ability. Just walking through the tunels it was great to see a whole mass of mummies and ghasts just fall over thanks to Aerie and Anomen.

ANY mage creature with timestop is a pain.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:26 AM   #17
Legolas the Elven Archer

1. Beholders (I refuse to use the shield of Balduran)
2. Vampires (they always drain my cleric, causibg him to forget his restoration spells...)
And, only in BG1, the Ettercap. I know we're talking BG2 here, but they deserve a special mention IMO. Boy were they tough back then

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 08-30-2001, 10:26 AM   #18
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

[/i]
I agree.
I hate having to defend myself against my own party, even after the baddies have been destroyed...it is so annoying to have to run from them until they remember who they are.
[/QUOTE]

That is an incredibly irritating feature of the game. even worse is how easy it is to attack your own party by mistake. I think there should be a dialogue box that comes up if you attack your own party and makes sure you want to do them in.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:42 AM   #19
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Beholders are my most hated. All else there are good tactics - mind flayers use chaotic command and ranged weapons, liches just breach and bash, they always waste their time stops with death spells and true sight, vampires are annoying but again chaotic commands. Beholders are a lottery. Even with the beholder shield and the cloak of mirroring they still petrify and hold at will. This is my third time through and I only killed the bare minimum of beholders, I just can't stand them. Although they do look good when they die - they're there hovering and them just collapse with all their eyes flopping around.
You know, Aelia Jusa, I too hate those dam beholders with their machine gun like spell attacks and I also hate haven to rely on that dam 'shield of Baulduran' to defeat them...seems like cheating to me. So in an attemt to conquer this I cam up with a decent tactic that for the most part will leave your party intact...sometimes. Invisibility 10' radius so you get party members in one shot, hasste them and surround the beholder. Have your mage caste a spell of your choice to do damage(flame arrow works nice) and then hit the 'ai' back on and take him down...then go after those pesky little wannabee beholders

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 08-30-2001, 11:17 AM   #20
Vampire

Most Scared of: Mind Flayers (one mistake and kiss good bye)
Most Hated: Dopplegangers (it's a BG1 thing)