Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-10-2000, 10:37 PM   #21
Magness
Quintesson

I have to agree with mandrake. Minsc is a killing machine in my parties as well. Yes, he can be susceptible to confusion, charm, etc. That's why it's important for him to wield items that give him immunity to such attacks. The talking 2H sword, Lilicor, gives Minsc immunity to confusion and charm. The (+2) Shield of Harmony is even better. Once I have that shield, its practically welded to minsc's shield arm with a good mace in his other hand.
Old 12-10-2000, 11:55 PM   #22
Armisael

Hmm, some flaring tempers here.
The only fighter I'd take over Minsc would be Korgan. Any fighter I take on needs to have a few requisites:
First, they need to have a good strength (and THAC0).
Second, they need to have an acceptable dexterity.
Third, they need to have proficiencies that will allow them to be useful in both close quarters and ranged combat.
That takes Keldorn and Anomen out of the equation. Anomen's a worthless cleric, anyway.
Yes, his low intelligence is a curse. However, after much thought, I (albeit regretfully) forked over Lilarcor to him, and he never got confused/charmed again.
He's also a much funnier and interesting NPC than Keldorn or Valygar, and I can tolerate his presence, which is more than I'll say for Anomen.

Old 12-11-2000, 12:11 AM   #23
Mandrake
Welcomed New User

Well said!
Old 12-11-2000, 04:28 AM   #24
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

A thousand posts up this thread someone asked about the Warblade (which is one of the best weapons you can put in ole Minscs hands). It's in the Adventurers Mart, Ribalds 'special wares' that it costs 50g just to look at. But it's only there after you've come back from the Underdark.

Oh, and I do, of course, love Minsc with all my heart.
Old 12-11-2000, 05:11 AM   #25
Kaël

Yeah valygar is way cool and a very good fighter
Backstab with low AC

yours armisael
Valygar:Minsc

first Valygar has got str 17 but forgot about the girdles of giant strengh and he has low Thac0
second Valygar has got dex 8 just like minsc
third Valygar has got prof. on katana and longbow

have you even seen valygar wielding his family blade with the celestriac fury and boots of speed

Old 12-11-2000, 05:19 AM   #26
Armisael

My point about Valygar was that his character is as boring as Bob Dole. And yes, I've used him. I dropped him in favour of Jan Jansen, and a more radical leap in characterisation I have never seen.

Old 12-11-2000, 10:53 AM   #27
fruz the impaler

yep Kivan uled in bg1, Valygar is about as useful as a leper in an arse kicking contest sadly

Old 12-11-2000, 11:14 AM   #28
The.Relic
Red Dragon

I can understand it if people just don't like the Minscter's eccentric personality, that is why there is a varied personality base for players to choose from. But to degrade his fighting ability is somewhat shortsighted and suggests not properly supplying him. Next to my Kensai, the Minscter has the 2nd highest kill ratio in the game. He is a walking slaughterhouse. I liked Keldorn a lot, but he couldn't compare to a properly supplied Minsc, and Anomen was never in the group.
bpm, if you don't use archers/slingers and mages, then it is no wonder that you have problems with charm and confusion spells. Archers/slingers and mages casting magic missiles are the best spell disruptors in the game. It is rare that an enemy mage manages to successfully cast those spells against my party.
I have to agree that Korgan is the only NPC fighter that tops Minsc, and despite popular opinion I agree with Armisael, a properly equipped Jaheira ranks a close 3rd.
Old 12-11-2000, 11:23 AM   #29
ironfist

I still dont understand somebody can actually "hate" Minsc,
ok, you can dislike but you cant hate him, I mean he is
so loyal a person can be, maybe he has a low intelligence but
he knows what is wrong and right and fight well.
Besides he has funny interactions with other npc's.
And I think Valygar is quite boring, never had him but doing his quest
and Keldorn is an old and "righteous" person, can you image how it can
be to have a such person around, dont do this and dont do that stuffs...
Go for Korgan if you need a decent fighter..

Old 12-11-2000, 02:33 PM   #30
bpm07

hey relic!

"bpm, if you don't use archers/slingers and mages, then it is no wonder that you have problems with charm and confusion spells. "

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say in my earlier message. What I was saying was that in the latter stages of the game I had three tanks that really didn't need such protection. In the VERY unlikely event of my tanks being charmed, confused etc, Keldorn (almost 100% magic resist) dispelled the magic easily. Of course in the biggest battles I used everything in the arsenal, meaning magic and bows.

I am fairly sure that if I had had Minsc instead of Keldorn the game would have been much harder for my party because Minsc needs a lot of help!

No offence to that mans offensive capabilities, he's like a bulldozer. But with his weaknesses all lying in his defence he was just to much of a burden on me.