Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 04:56 PM   #1
Tuor
Elminster

The events of the last few days got me thinking, there has been a lot said about various religions (specifically Islam) recently and I realised I don't actually know very much nor understand the attraction of religion or believing in God like many people do.

I personally don't believe in God, or anything else probably mainly because I can't reconcile myself to the thought that if there were a God he would let so much unpleasantness happen in the world.

I just want to know what other people think on this subject, I know this will open up a whole big can of worms so I'd like people to try and be polite and remember not everyone will agree with their views but I'm especially interested in why people go to church and believe in God. But please keep it civil

I'm also fascinated (but not fascinated enoiugh to become religious) why some faiths don't do certain things-Catholics don't agree with contraception for example. Why?

Old 10-09-2001, 04:58 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I can answer the catholics and contraception question, it's because they believe that you are killing the unborn baby, I think, I believe that there is a god, or several gods or at least an afterlife.

Btw, better take cover, this threads going to be mighty hot in something from five minutes to a couple of hours.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.

Sorcerer of Lady Lioness' Court.

"If Silence is golden, why does everyone talk so much?"
Old 10-09-2001, 05:01 PM   #3
Tuor
Elminster

Note I've not criticised or been judgemental, I've just expressed my ignorance and asked for clarification. I'm not stupid enough to condemn ANYONE'S beliefs I hope that's crystal clear.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:04 PM   #4
tracey
Manshoon

don't even go there. thy're all completely MAD. yes you heard it here first. and yes, they will object, but, hey, i haven't met a sane religious person yet, and i guess i never will.

just be happy you're not embroiled in that sort of lunacy. if there ain't a problem, don't try and fix it.

on a more serious note. people turn to god and religion because they can't face the prospect of death, they're frightened of their own inner turmoil, they can't believe this is all there is, it gives them licence to proclaim war and death on others' because they believe in the afterlife, it means they don't have to actually DO anything constructive in the here and now, it gives them a sense of power of others' also a superiority. (the list is longer, but i think this is sufficient).

personally, i prefer people who can think about life, the universe and everything without a god concept. they're far more trustworthy as individuals and less likely to do something silly because they think god has spoken to them. (moses and jesus would have institutionalised within seconds - 'i'm hearing the voices again, aaaaaaargh').

so. enjoy your sanity. it might not last long -hahahaha

no offence anyone, but he did ask.

------------------
offended mistress of the illuminati
Old 10-09-2001, 05:05 PM   #5
tracey
Manshoon

go ahead tuor condemn away - live a little

------------------
offended mistress of the illuminati
Old 10-09-2001, 05:07 PM   #6
Neb
Account deleted by Request

What's the point of living if there is no greater purpose? If you're going to sink away into oblivion, you might as well do it now instead of waiting.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:07 PM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Tuor, I think you are asking a VERY big question in the wrong place. If you are seriously interested in religious beliefs, get hold of a few books on comparative religion and study them. Sift the evidence then come to your own conclusions. Above all, trust your own judgement and respect the views and beliefs of others.

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 05:14 PM   #8
Tuor
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Tuor, I think you are asking a VERY big question in the wrong place. If you are seriously interested in religious beliefs, get hold of a few books on comparative religion and study them. Sift the evidence then come to your own conclusions. Above all, trust your own judgement and respect the views and beliefs of others.

I'm not interested in holding my own religious beliefs I'm interested in why other people do. I think this is quite a good place to discuss this topic because the people on this forum are generally reasonable, intelligent, articulate and restrained. Reading books on religion, which I have absolutely no interest in doing won't give me the same insight. I've already cometo my own conclussions-I'm interested in others.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:22 PM   #9
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor:
I'm not interested in holding my own religious beliefs I'm interested in why other people do. I think this is quite a good place to discuss this topic because the people on this forum are generally reasonable, intelligent, articulate and restrained. Reading books on religion, which I have absolutely no interest in doing won't give me the same insight. I've already cometo my own conclussions-I'm interested in others.
Have fun then - you are about to embark on a quest for a truth that has eluded mankind from the day we stopped dragging our knuckles on the ground. I wish you well in your journey.

P.S. If you get a definitive answer, please, please let me know

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 05:24 PM   #10
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:

personally, i prefer people who can think about life, the universe and everything without a god concept. they're far more trustworthy as individuals and less likely to do something silly because they think god has spoken to them. (moses and jesus would have institutionalised within seconds - 'i'm hearing the voices again, aaaaaaargh').

tracey: I am an atheist (actually more agnostic) and have many atheist friends and I would argue that not believing in a God does not make you any more trustworthy or stop you from doing something silly. I actually find it quite the opposite. These of course are my views of the people I know and not of every atheist.

I too don't understand the entire God concept. I will not state my opinion on the topic more than that. I will not and cannot prove or disprove that a God(s) exists. I find it futile and a waste of time to attempt to do so. If a person believes in God then so be it, they must have some reason for doing so. It might be to escape the reality of their life, it might be b/c they feel very deeply that they are touched by God. I don't know. Maybe there is a God, maybe their isn't, I am not going to try to convice others one way or the other.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!