Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2003, 09:12 AM   #1
ryaldin
Elminster

AAHHHH!!!!SPOILERS!!!
So. Down to business. I've got the thieves guild. I've had the theives guild for half the present millenium. No quests. I had the first quest when what's-her-face tried to double cross me and I reduced her band of Maevar sympathizers to incredulous piles of goo, next to a lovely fountain backdrop at Waukeen's Promenade. But other than that....nothing. It's been days and days and days, actually it's probably been a full week at least, if not more, since I had the pleasure of having anything useful come out of that stupid guild. I've had the guildmaster demand tribute a half a dozen times, and my thieves have come back from their missions roughly a half dozen times (the times of which, never correlate with one another, irritatingly enough, despite what your journal says) and STILL there are no quests. "There's no life better than the Theives's Guild". Pfff. What's up with that? Is this a bug or are there really no functional quests for the theives guild. I've been muddled in a Chapter 2 doldrum because I wanted to try taking the 'evil' path for once, but I wanted to finish my thieves guild quests first. Is there any point? Is there any reason to keep on keepin on?
Old 11-10-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Faceman
Hathor

IIRC there are only two "quests" here.
1. you already did it
2. is an internal problem that can be solved by mere talking and giving orders
Old 11-10-2003, 09:44 AM   #3
ryaldin
Elminster

that's....that's it? I'm a theif, I raise money and then give it to somebody else? OUTRAGE! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] I demand to speak with the man/woman/pit fiend who wrote this section of the storyline. My raging anger needs to be appeased!
Grumble...mutter...*twitch*...two weeks wasted...facist thieving...*twitch*,*twitch*...heartless unthoughtful....recalcitran dullards...*sigh*. What a bummer.
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...whew. I feel so much better.
Thank you for your assitance.

[ 11-10-2003, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: ryaldin ]
Old 11-10-2003, 10:05 AM   #4
Tancred
White Dragon

There is a small mod that expands the thieves' guild stronghold, featuring the return of BG1 characters Narlen Darkwalk and Black Lily, but if you've already got the stronghold I don't think you'd want to go right back to the beginning and start again.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:56 PM   #5
Fs.SaCuL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by ryaldin:
that's....that's it? I'm a theif, I raise money and then give it to somebody else? OUTRAGE! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] I demand to speak with the man/woman/pit fiend who wrote this section of the storyline. My raging anger needs to be appeased!
Grumble...mutter...*twitch*...two weeks wasted...facist thieving...*twitch*,*twitch*...heartless unthoughtful....recalcitran dullards...*sigh*. What a bummer.
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...whew. I feel so much better.
Thank you for your assitance.
Yeah my conrad told ya already: only two quests

hey cmon man, the thieves guild is the best stronghold in my opinion... you lotsa gold, really... you just need to know how to manage your thieves... you've gotta a place to 'live' in akthala (whatever) where you can rest, sell stuff (and steal and sell again, so it goes...) keep some of your good stuff stored... I think the thieves guild is awesome...

when your thieves get used to the hard work they bring great profit... I mean it =]... oh cmon thieve's guild rule, how can you say it sucks? =/
Old 11-11-2003, 08:22 AM   #6
ryaldin
Elminster

Oh it's not that bad, but I was looking forward to some sort of storyline, a little longer that just two quests, yknow? Having to steal into the prison myself to rescue a thief, or breaking into the Council of Six building to find out who they really are, or competing with other rival guilds within Amn. I don't deny that it's a nice building or anything, and it does have the ability to generate a lot of gold, but frankly, gold isn't usually a problem in this game after about...an hour. I've been trying to play through things without using somewhat cheesy items (is there a better term out there that cheesy? I can't think of one off the top of my head), and therefore I haven't been buying from the bonus merchants, or much of anything really.

But anyways, no point in delaying the inevitable. Bodhi, here I come.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:46 AM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Oh it's not that bad, but I was looking forward to some sort of storyline, a little longer that just two quests, yknow? Having to steal into the prison myself to rescue a thief, or breaking into the Council of Six building to find out who they really are, or competing with other rival guilds within Amn. I don't deny that it's a nice building or anything, and it does have the ability to generate a lot of gold, but frankly, gold isn't usually a problem in this game after about...an hour. I've been trying to play through things without using somewhat cheesy items (is there a better term out there that cheesy? I can't think of one off the top of my head), and therefore I haven't been buying from the bonus merchants, or much of anything really.

But anyways, no point in delaying the inevitable. Bodhi, here I come.
Yep, gold is rarely an issue if you are a thief (you end up stealing most of the stuff you need anyway).

Alternate terms for cheesy: munchkin, cheap, overbalanced (or "rebalanced" used with sarcasm ).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:17 AM   #8
Fs.SaCuL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You may be right... the guild could be more interesting...

but it is still cool =]
Old 11-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #9
ryaldin
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
Alternate terms for cheesy: munchkin, cheap, overbalanced (or "rebalanced" used with sarcasm ).
ooooohhhh, munchkin, i like that
Old 11-11-2003, 01:36 PM   #10
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
ooooohhhh, munchkin, i like that [/QUOTE]Actually cheese and munchkin are different
Cheating is altering the game (with CLUA or SKeeper for example) to fix it to your liking (may be easier, may be more difficult, may be a role-playing issue)
Example: CLUAing in heavy equipment right at the start.

Cheese is exploiting bugs or bad AI within the game (no altering) to gain an advantage (over the computer enemies).
Example: keeping all your BG1 equipment due to a bug/glitch during the intro

Munchkin basically is "Overkill". Always using the VERY easiest method to get by an enemy.
Example: Always using multiple-Web+Cloudkill on larger groups of enemies, even if it's just Goblins.