Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Greetings all!

I am researching the niceties of proper manners when communicating over the Internet, and am looking for examples of what does....and does not constitute proper behavior. So if you know of any sites (especially if you can provide links, URLs, or quote the text outright) that show interesting use of leetspeek, smilies, weird abbreviations, capitalization protocols, etc., and then how these conventions are recieved by those people to whom they were directed, I shall love you. And in a week's time I shall post the most entertaining results, along with a few ones that I dug up and happen to be particularly hilarious.

Gracias in advance!
Old 04-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Search for any post by Vaskez on this forum, you're bound to be amazed by the wit and humour [img]tongue.gif[/img] you'll get an 'A' for your report for sure
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

My favorite instances of leetspeek come from random screenshots of games. They're just a clip of what they were 'talking' about, and it's usually a mixture of offensive, aggressive, and completely nuts lol.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Search for any post by Vaskez on this forum, you're bound to be amazed by the wit and humour [img]tongue.gif[/img] you'll get an 'A' for your report for sure
Do you happen to be looking for examples of egotism as well Six?
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Yes, "A study on why not to let your child on the internet. Or what happened to Vaskez?" [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I deliberately set myself up for these sort of comments you know.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

okies..you asked for it...

you'll find some interesting, however never wanted to be known by men, abbreviations in the abbreviation explanations on the community boards at www.babycenter.com go to the site, go to community and open up a list of bulliten boards, off to the left in a blue side bar should be some links, one of which will lead to the abbreviations page.

at least two things you don't want to know- CM and AF
Old 04-04-2005, 07:28 AM   #8
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Baby center some one has a baby on the way. We get that link once a week through the e-mail at the house. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2005, 07:43 AM   #9
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

[ 04-04-2005, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]
Old 04-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

krunchy, that pic is definitely going in my project. Thankee. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The smilies and abbreviations were nice, RevRuby, but I'm looking for how they are used in communication with other(s) on the Net. Specifically, I'm trying to find examples of how one should or should NOT interact. For example, a standard rule of netiquette is to always lurk for a bit before you post something, and don't wildly deviate from the accepted standard of communication. That rule was broken recently here on Ironworks, and the (in)famous "Yo dizzle" thread is the result.