Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 03:07 PM   #21
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Glad you made the cut Asp! Free beer at the Inn for you!
Old 04-05-2001, 07:48 AM   #22
Donut
Jack Burton

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 08:10 AM   #23
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Asphyxiate:
Fair points, the companies certainly in the shit and not out of it by a long stretch. This is actually the second layoff which probably paints an even worse picture. Short answer to your question is not yet. While I'm not as naive to think that this is the end of the story, I do think that it's probably the 'right' decision to get this company profitable again.

I enjoy what I do greatly and my lady works for the same company (still does). Most of our friends remain so we will remain. Long term plans are to move to San Diego anyway (to put my marine zoology degree back into use) so while another layoff would accelerate that plan, I'm keeping head down for a while and see how this plays out before putting that into action.

Ages ago, I worked for a bank that was nearly taken over by the US Gov't. The pricks who got the bank into the mess came to the employees and said, "the bank's in trouble and we need your help to save it." Well, for almost three years, the employees accepted wage freezes and did everything to cut expenses (in my office we actually pulled all our out of date memos, letters, etc. and used the reverse side for photocopying internal documents). It paid off. Our stock went from $4.80 a share to $49.50 a share during that period. Shows what dedicated, caring employees can do for a company for which they truly care.

By the way, six months later, the bank was bought by another financial institution. In recognition of our sacrifice and hard work we were "allowed" to re-apply for the jobs we had saved and already had. Four months after that, we were summoned to a meeting where the CEO and CFO told us they overpaid for our bank and it was up to the employees to make "sacrifices" to increase the shareholder's profits. When they finished their little talks, they asked for questions (which were written ahead of time and rehearsed - I was on that little committe), I stood up in front of the crowd with my hand raised. The CEO knew what question I was going to ask and was full of confidence. It was then I asked, "At what point do you expect me to tell you to kiss my ass?"

Futile gesture, but let me sleep well that night...

------------------
- for cut rate prices call 976-BRIS-FOR-LESS {Next time I send some damned fool, I'll go myself...}
Old 04-05-2001, 08:10 AM   #24
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
It is over. I am still here. Thank god, I need my job.

Good on you, mate! That's great news.

------------------
My name is Memnoch. And your name is...destined to be a footnote in the sands of time.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:13 AM   #25
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
It is over. I am still here. Thank god, I need my job.

Great mate!

Good luck!!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 04-05-2001, 08:14 AM   #26
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

that's great man

------------------

[This message has been edited by slackerboy (edited 04-05-2001).]
Old 04-05-2001, 08:47 AM   #27
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

IdiotRogue! You really did that? Excellent! How quickly did security hustle you out?
Old 04-05-2001, 10:20 AM   #28
Asphyxiate
Manshoon

Interesting story IdiotRogue - kudos to you for having the balls to do it. I don't think we're being raped that badly yet, though it is going to take the remaining people really gritting teeth to get through this phase. Not out of the woods yet by any means. Next 6 months will certainly be telling!

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 10:40 AM   #29
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Interesting story IdiotRogue - kudos to you for having the balls to do it. I don't think we're being raped that badly yet, though it is going to take the remaining people really gritting teeth to get through this phase. Not out of the woods yet by any means. Next 6 months will certainly be telling!

Asphyxiate,

I love your new signature. But did you decide to put that up yourself or was it forced on you by your company to ensure "enhanced productivity" by increased, uh, "custodianship" during the "probation" period for those of you "lucky" enough to still be there ?

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

Old 04-05-2001, 10:49 AM   #30
Asphyxiate
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Asphyxiate,
I love your new signature. But did you decide to put that up yourself or was it forced on you by your company to ensure "enhanced productivity" by increased, uh, "custodianship" during the "probation" period for those of you "lucky" enough to still be there ?
Heheee! Actually something to do via the endless conference calls telling me how we're now going to restructure the company. All they really need to say is get yer head down and keep working, don't quit. Either way I can't say I mind some down time - last month of crunch time to ship software was brutal.

On a side note, I think we should find some animated chickens or something to add to your signature and you could begin Ramon's farm - perhaps a gathering place in NeverWinter Nights?

------------------