Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-28-2003, 01:38 PM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

In case you think you are technologically challenged . . .
Compaq is considering changing the instruction " Press Any Key" to "Press Return Key" because of the flood of calls asking where the "Any" key is.

AST technical support had a caller complaining that her mouse was hard to control with the dust cover on. The cover turned out to be the plastic bag the mouse was packed in.

Another AST customer was asked to send a copy of her defective diskettes. A few days later a letter arrived from the customer along with photocopies of the floppies.

A Dell customer called to say he couldn't get his computer to FAX anything. After 40 minutes of trouble-shooting, the technician discovered the man was trying to FAX a piece of paper by holding it in front of the monitor's screen and pressing the "Send" key.

A confused caller to IBM was having troubles printing documents. He told the technician that the computer had said it "couldn't find the printer." The user had also turned the computer screen to face the printer but that his computer still couldn't see the printer.

An exasperated caller to Dell Computer Tech Support couldn't get her new Dell Computer to turn on. After ensuring the computer was plugged in she responded, "I pushed and pushed on this foot pedal and nothing happens. The foot pedal turned out to be the computer's mouse.

True story from a Novell NetWire System Operator ... Caller: "Hello is this tech support?" Tech: "Yes it is. How may I help you? " Caller: "The cup holder on my PC is broken and I am within my warranty period. How do I go about getting it fixed? "Tech: "I'm sorry, but did you say cup holder? "Caller:" Yes, it's attached to the front of my computer. "Tech: "Please excuse me if I seem a bit stumped, It's because I am. Did you receive this as part of a promotional, or at a trade show? How did you get this cup holder? Does it have any trade mark on it? "Caller: "It came with my computer, I don't know anything about a promotional. It just has '4X' on it. "(At this point the Tech Rep had to mute the caller, because he was laughing too hard). The caller had been using the load drawer of the CD-ROM as a cup holder.

Another IBM customer had troubles installing software and rang for support. "I put in the first disk and that was OK. It said to put in the second disk, I and had some problems with the disk. When it said put in the third disk-I couldn't even fit it in. The user hadn't realized that "Insert Disk 2" meant remove Disk 1 first.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 02-28-2003, 01:51 PM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

LOL

I have personnally been part of two funny computer support incidents.

Once, I was telling on the phone to the man I was helping to "open the window". I heard a silence then "clonk" - the guy had opened his ROOM window !

Also, once I had asked someone to "send me a copy of his floppy disk" ... I got a PHOTOcopy. Two-sided. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That was a few years ago - maybe people are less computeringly "changlleged" now ?
Old 02-28-2003, 02:18 PM   #3
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Yeah, and that was this incident during my college time. I knew the lecturer's knowledge in computer was weak and I found out that her disks has been infected by boot virus. When I question her on how the virus could have infected her Turbo Pascal disks. She replied...

"I think the virus might have travelled from the power line and infected my PC"

He he he...that was damn funny. [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

Of course as a "star" student, I helped her to remove the viruses. I think I got an "A" in Turbo Pascal. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

And there was this incident in during my school time... the teacher in charge of the computer room told me that game programs have the tendency to "corrupt" and turn into computer virus and we should stop using the computer to play games. Of course we complied...but while he was not around, Zaxxon was too good to resist. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 02-28-2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 02-28-2003, 04:12 PM   #4
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Heh heh, I always enjoy reading these and usually get a good laugh. I'm no pocket scientist myself. . hmm, wait, or is that supposed to be rocket scientist? Heck, I'm not sure. . Anywaaaaaay, even so, somewhere in the back of my mind a little part of my brain (and believe me, there isn't much there) still has trouble believing that some of these stories can really be true
Old 02-28-2003, 05:20 PM   #5
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

My favourite is the one about the guy that called in saying he couldn't get his computer to turn on. The tech-rep went through all the steps: flip the red switch, check the power cord, and so on. Finally he asked him if all the stuff on the back of the computer was fully inserted, and the customer replied "Just a minute, I have to find a flashlight". When asked why he needed a flashlight, the customer replied "Well, the lights are off because the power's been out for two hours"! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

The apocryphal story ends with the rep telling the customer to pack up the computer and send it back because he was "too stupid to own a computer".
Old 02-28-2003, 05:38 PM   #6
Charlie
Lord Ao

Topic: Are you technically Changlleged..

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
In case you think you are technologically challenged . . .
Technically speaking I don't understand technology.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 02-28-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

strange though I seem to remember having seen this post in HH board long time ago Arvon.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:01 AM   #8
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

My favourite is the one about the woman who phones support because the 56x coffee mug holder on the front of her machine is broken and wont spin. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 03-01-2003, 10:22 AM   #9
Lord High Eater of Legs
Zhentarim Guard

[img]tongue.gif[/img] nice just something else I've found in my many hours spent browsing the internet :

Man:Help, my computer crashed!
Tech support:Right, hit control alt delete to reboot.
Man:No, it didn't crash, it crashed.
Tech Support:What do you mean?
Man:I crashed my spaceship, now I can't play my game.
Tech Support:*sighs*See where it says file, click that them go to new game.
Manafter short silence)...Wow! Where'd you learn to do that?

Bob:Help!
Tech Support:What's wrong Bob?
Bob:I can't find the 'P's
Tech Support:'P', Bob, just one. It should be on your keyboard.
Bob:What?
Tech Support: The 'P'
Bob:Where?
Tech Support:'P' on your keyboard, Bob.
Bob:i'm not going to do that!