Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

okay i want to buy alittle something for my girlfriend but I am completly hopeless with terminology of jewelry.

In regards to Gold
Is 14 carat the same as 14 ct?
Is that different from a 14kt?
How much gold % for a 14 carat gold and its average cost over the market?
and lastly, with gold, does it the gold engravings disappear over time bec of acid in your body?

if someone has spare time to do this, i thank you .

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

14 karat is approximately 58% purity. (24 karat is 100% pure) (edit: by weight not volume)

Gold is incorruptible, one of the reasons it's used for jewelry. The acid on your skin won't affect it much.

Carat and Karat appear to be two closely related terms that are sometimes used interchangably.

Carat is a unit of weight (1/24 ounce) used to measure gem sizes.

Karat is a measure of alloy purity.

[ 06-20-2007, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 06-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:

Gold is incorruptible, one of the reasons it's used for jewelry. The acid on your skin won't affect it much.
The gold won't corrupt but since the jewelry isn't SOLID gold, the other metals may be affected by the acid. Try to stick with 18 kt gold or better.

Also, if you want to check prices out gold is currently selling at around 650$ US per ounce. Ask the jeweler for the gold weight and do a quick calculation to see if what you are planning on buying is actually worth it.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

I really would like to thank you guys for this sort of info. I did make a calculation with the figures you have given me.

1 ounce = 28.34952 grams

The jewelry I am eyeing on is 2 grams 14ct gold pendant.

With a simple calculation, I have computed 1 gram with todays market of $650 USD an ounce, is worth $22.928 or $23 USD. Now make it two grams then it would be worth $45.86 or $46 USD. Do take note that this is 100% pure gold.

with current exchange rate, 46 usd = 55 aud. (note this is rounded up).

Now with this base value, and comparing it with the pendant I am eyeing worth 180aud. I feel absoloutly faint. I can understand tax and work needed for a custom job, but 327% difference is abit silly especially its only 14ct as well and that is not pure gold.

I really would like to thank you guys for saving me a would be mistake in jewelry. Perhaps in the future, the same pendant may come up and be worth only 100 - 130 aud. I would have bought the pendant if it was already worth 150aud but not 180aud. Sigh.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Remember that the value of jewelry is more than just the raw materials. It's also the artistry, labor, and design that go into making the jewelry. That makes a percentage less applicable than otherwise.

However, it does make it easier to decide. If one bauble is simple gold, and another has an ornate or valued design, then its value to may go up.

It's a variation of an old theme... the value of a glass of water is directly related to how thirsty you are and what your alternatives are.

And good luck... I hope she gets the (right [img]smile.gif[/img] ) message
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

One other thing not yet addressed. Gold "engravings" 'plating' as we call it here, will in fact deteriorate with contact to the skin. Additionally, the lower the grade, the sooner and deeper the skin turns green.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote