Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-14-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
warnie
Dungeon Master

well after reading this forum , i was pretty inspired and pulled out the Good old BG2 and decided to have another bash.

This time round decided to go with a monk. simpily because never had played one before and they are kinda kool. the armour bit aint so much fun , but it has its adavantages.

1)did it before , but dont remeber how , how in heck do you defeat Mencar and gang on the second floor of the seven veils? should i wait till we are more powerful than 7 or 8 lvl or what?

2)it seems that there are loads of patches etc galore
if you are evenutally going to do TOB, you shouldnt DL that main patch , but my question is what about all those others that are listed later, such as improved this guy or romance that NPC etc can you just load those by
themselves?

3)just to ease my nagging conscience , is a monk really worth it?
warnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

2. If you've got ToB or are soon going to install it, don't install the SoA official patch. Instead, once you install ToB, then install the ToB Official Patch and the ToB Fixpack. The 'other things' that you saw are mods. They change/add stuff in the game. There is a sticky at the top of this forum by icelus (Lists the current mods/patches). The order that everything has been listed in is the order in which they must be installed, or else things could go wrong. I just installed the Rogue Rebalancing mod, and since I didn't follow the correct order and such, my offical patch got un-installed, meaning I have to install all the mods over again. It's no big deal, but it's a waste of time.

3. Monk is one of the more extremely overpowered classes in the game.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I just checked all the mods/patches, and the only things that became un-installed were the Official Patch and Fixpack. Infact, they were gone from my directory completely except for their readmes. I had to install them over again, but the strange thing is that they're supposed to be installed first. However, I just installed them last, but all my other mods are still 'intact,' or whatever you want to call it. They weren't uninstalled for some reason. Maybe the patches don't necessarily need to be installed first?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:34 PM   #4
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

It's recommended that you install patches to fix the game. IMO, mods are designed assuming that the person playing has patched their game. (This is the case for other mods for other games. I figure it's the same for BG2.)

Monks will be overpowered when you get to ToB. For much of SoA, monks are quirky fighters. Around chapter 5 or so, they start gaining their true potential.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:23 AM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Are you a *solo* monk, Warnie? If not, who's in your party?

And lovely new sig, Pirengle. It looks lovely with your shiny new icon.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:32 AM   #6
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
And lovely new sig, Pirengle. It looks lovely with your shiny new icon.
[offtopic]Why, thank you Illumina. [img]smile.gif[/img] I just wish I'd gotten the color levels a bit more even. BG1 and BG2 Edwin have the same sort of look but BG1 Edwin's photo has more shadowy reds.[/offtopic]

A monk in BG2 should start out using a weapon instead of unarmed attacks. By the time you're capable of getting the Hands-Down Best Katana in the Game, your fists should be doing just as much damage, and Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm should be available and plentiful.

A monk would also be a good choice for a "romance" game where you only have the PC and his/her romantic interest.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:28 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by warnie:

1)did it before , but dont remeber how , how in heck do you defeat Mencar and gang on the second floor of the seven veils? should i wait till we are more powerful than 7 or 8 lvl or what?

Make sure you stay outside his room.... dont go inside. cast a web spell inside... the mage should stay in while the others go out... take them out one by one then go in to finish the mage.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:40 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

You can lower yourself to cheesiness as ZFR suggests, but that particular fight is just pretty hard. If I were you just wait until you're higher level, so you're sure you can kill off Brennan Rissling before he escapes and get that Ring of Invisibility.

Oh, and he's a monk, ZFR.. no casting spells
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:19 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

A Monk is worth it... I am a Monk now, and yes I do agree that it's overpowered... great benefits in the long run. At least it makes you feel that you are indeed the son of Bhaal.
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:31 AM   #10
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:

Oh, and he's a monk, ZFR.. no casting spells
Quote:
Originally posted by warnie:

"we"... so i assume he's not soloing [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

and it's not that cheesy. Simply dont run into that room. wait for them to go out. What's cheesy about that?

[ 02-15-2004, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]