Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-20-2001, 09:37 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Minor spoiler follows...
I was mucking around in the sewers under the Temple District last night. At the northern part of the sewers I cam across this band of toughs (Gaius, et al.) who demanded 1000 gp from me. I refused (of course) and a fight ensued, the toughest im my game so far.

Well, the first 4 or 5 attempts resulted in failure. They cast some form of fear spell that had half my party running away panicked. The other half (the spellcasters) of course got doshed. (Cool aside - Jan, just before dying, says "Don't forget to raise me" or something like that).

Then I decided to try a different tactic. Rather than tackle the party head on, I got Edwin to cast cloudkill at them, and also hasted my party. Jaheira cast miscast magic on the mage Gaius. I then RAN away to a room that was behind a secret door earlier and waited for them to appear. I cast a fireball at the main sewer corridor, entangle and summoned monsters.

The tactic worked. The fireball dealt out additional damage to the pursuers and the entangle stopped them where they were. The monsters ploughed into them while I moved my kensai forward to melee. The rest used missile weapons and magic and soon the enemy was no more. Without even a scratch to my party!

The enemy must have been a high level party. I used the ring of human influence on one of them (the cleric) and managed to control him. I looked at his spells and I saw many symbols I had not seen before. Blade barrier was one of them. So they must have have been more powerful than my party, which makes the victory all the much sweeter.

Just one question. In one of my earlier attempts, I berserked Minsc so that he would not fall under the mind spells that the enemy cast (fear, and hold person I think). But I lost control of him (his circlet was yellow, and selecting him resulted in a 'blank' control panel). He started attacking Edwin (and no they did not have an argument earlier). After he finished Edwin he went for Aerie, and killed her! What's up with that? Is it a bug, or was he charmed or whatever?

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 06-20-2001, 10:04 PM   #2
Gorgasim
Dungeon Master

people usually look at castin cloudkill and fireball into rooms where you can't see the guy cheesy...but if its a high level party its all good in my book. Ya....Minsc's beserk stinks...you lose control of him then he'll just start randomly attacking our party members who arn't good.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:16 PM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

But he attacked Aerie! And Aerie was his witch!

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 06-20-2001, 11:22 PM   #4
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I remember this fight took me about 8 reloads to complete

I finally got the buggers by spliting my party in two. Three up the middle and three to the right hand side. I also used cloudkill, haste, fireball, and entangle

------------------

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:48 AM   #5
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Yea Minsc's beserk is kinda funny, but you have to remember, hes a ranger, and rangers don't get beserk usually. SO his beserk is a special ability and doesnt' function like regular beserk does, his is ACTUALY BESERKING and losing control.
Old 06-21-2001, 02:31 AM   #6
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
That is a pretty good fight, but the best fight I had was when I teamed with Bodhi and went to kill Aran Linvail...Just te first room alone took about 30 min real time! It was epic...

------------------

Hunter, Scout, Warrior, Woodsmen, Archer
Old 06-21-2001, 09:22 AM   #7
Legolas the Elven Archer

That's right. When Minsc goes beserk he does gain some hitpoints temporarily, but he acts as if he had a morale failure and went beserk. That's why the circle around his feet is yellow and that's why he doesn't care about who he is attacking. And no, Boo can't talk any sense in him either, so you'll have to be very careful with Minsc's special ability.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-21-2001, 10:05 AM   #8
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

I don't think he attacks randomly, I think he attacks the closest living(or undead) thing he sees, so simply make sure the enemies are closer.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:48 PM   #9
Vampire

Yawn...read your manual.
Slow(save at -4) and web(save at -2)....is brilliant.
Watch them fall and kill the one or two that comes out.
It took me one go with 3 party members.
(me sorcerer, minsc and Jaheira)
GO FOR THOSE WITH HUGE PENALTIES FOR SAVES.
Don't try fireball first....try it when they are unconsious on the floor!
Old 06-21-2001, 02:06 PM   #10
homsuplee
Dungeon Master

I knocked these guys out after a few tries myself too. Party vs. Party battles are awesome ! Twisted Rune, Temple District Slavers, these guys, harpers. It's better in groups. Can't wait until TOB.

My strategy was entangle, web, emotion, slow and grease all on the area. And then Cloudkill, skull traps, fireball, and then just use spells and magic to snipe them to pieces. This is a very legit strategy.