Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

...or how ever you spell it.

Anyway, my sister is a big fan of the Evanessence band, I kind of likedthem, nothing special and many of the songs sound the same, then my sister found out about another band, from Netherland (i think) called Within Temptation. and it is so similar to Evan... whatever that it's freaky. WT seems to be heavier though at times and the singer doesn't whine as much as the singer in... E... whatever.

Anyway, has anyone heard of this Dutch band and what do you think, are they immitating Evansensce or is it the other way around?
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Erm, Within Temptation has been around for longer I think, and they're not imitating each other, they're both just hitching a ride on the kiddie-gothy-pop music trend that's been going on in the past years.

I actually helped WT get where they are today [img]tongue.gif[/img]
When I first met them they hadn't played more than four gigs in their entire career, and I was in the promotion team that had to get people enthusiastic about them. They've gradually been gaining popularity everywhere, but in the Netherlands they've been well-known for several years.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

Heh, thats pretty cool... but like I said I just started listening and had no knowledge of them (either bands) what so ever, they just sounded kinda similar to me... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:10 AM   #4
philip
Galvatron

Shame they dropped the grunts somewhere on the way. I think after their first album (maybe they had 1 or 2 with after it or so not sure)? When I hear some old stuff on internet radio or so I always think it's not that bad. But I found their last album very repetitive. Everything just sounded too similar for me and some songs are stretched out over too much time I think. I heard most or all of the new CD but after like 2 times when you get to know the songs a bit I find it becomes boring.

Luckily there are a few other Dutch bands that do have what I like [img]smile.gif[/img]

edit: completely forgot to say something about evanescence How I hate I bought their first album. I don't mind listening it but it doesn't have many special things that make me play it. Don't like it much anymore. I bought their album based on samples and old songs I knew. But well the sound changed a lot between them (somehow )

[ 04-26-2005, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: philip ]
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:19 AM   #5
dplax
Jack Burton

I saw Within Temptation in concert in the beginning of March and while I prefer them quite a lot to Evanescence. They just play a style which I like better. I'm not saying I don't like Evanescence, but I listen to them much less.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:21 AM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

I don't like either of them. I absolutely dispise Evanescence's song "My Immortal", because it takes the whiny sound of Amy's voice to a new depth.

@ Philip: I think we're not gonna get along quite well when it comes to musical taste Although I was a fan of Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit a couple of years ago (and thinking of going to the Green Day concert in July) I never liked the grunting metal music. I bet you don't mind "I Wish I Had An Angel" being aired on The Box all the time

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #7
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
@ Philip: I think we're not gonna get along quite well when it comes to musical taste Although I was a fan of Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit a couple of years ago (and thinking of going to the Green Day concert in July) I never liked the grunting metal music. I bet you don't mind "I Wish I Had An Angel" being aired on The Box all the time
It looks like I live in the only place in the Netherlands that doesn't have the Box But I wish I had an angel is a brilliant song [img]smile.gif[/img] For my birthday I got a Nightwish dvd, really great.

I like grunts when they fit in songs, not just randomly thrown in just because. Guess it has to do a lot with the atmosphere in a song. For some people it works and if the only time I notice a difference is when they're taken out or put in a lot more or less. I have a few linkin park cds lying around here Still like how they mix all the different stuff, though I won't buy their stuff anymore.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well, I was a huge fan of Evanescence before, but the hold let go. I still listen to them... about once a month or less. I got some Within Temptation and I think that somewhere along the way, they have definetly tried to get as much of an Evanescence feel, but as you listen to old, then newer, then newest things, it seems they're back to their own style, which I like.