Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Falling on Floor Laughing Making bootable media

I'm looking for recommendations on what folks use to make bootable(live) CD's and flashdrives. Cost is a factor, but not a great one (though free is always welcome!). Thanks!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Making bootable media

Bootable OS type flashies? An easy, free method for flash drives that I use is the Microsoft Windows 7 DVD to USB flash tool. It's free and simple as hell. Works like a charm and so easy when using thumb drives instead of CD's.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool
Old 07-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Making bootable media

What a handy tool--thank you for the find, SpiritWarrior.

I had this idea about three or four years ago that computers will soon get to the point where your operating system and user applications/files can be stored on a USB drive then you just plug the drive into a dumb terminal and your computer boots for you. The dumb terminal would be nothing more than a video card, some memory, and an attached monitor and other essential peripherals but your computer itself you carry with you. Of course, you want to make sure the dumb terminal doesn't have a hard drive or other way of copying/storing all your files and you damned sure better protect it from theft.

In my opinion this would be even more handy than a small laptop or netbook but it will never happen because of small laptops and netbooks--people already have those and are used to them so computers won't get much smaller...at least until your "monitor" becomes just a projection onto any available flat surface, possibly even a rollout screen that folds up into the keyboard.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah i have like 3 flash drives dedicated as boot drives. And for laptops or notebooks that do not have a CD drive (and of course computers ain't made with floppy drives anymore) this is the new thing. What's more, you can carry them around in your pocket.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

I have to get a new laptop for the new job that starts Monday--we don't have computers there yet--and I was looking for one that had a solid state/USB hard drive...but all the ones I see are still hard drives that spin.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
(and of course computers ain't made with floppy drives anymore)
Oh, how I wish that were true. The company I work for builds computers used in the medical field. It's such a hassle getting a system certified for medical use the customers hang onto a design until we literally *can* *not* find parts. Most of our systems are comparable to a current PC, but we still build maybe a hundred units a month with floppies. The REAL pain in my butt is a customer who pulls old network cards with coax connections out of their dead/damaged systems & ship 'em to us so we can put them in their new systems. And believe it or not, just last week I tested 20 units built with a 386 CPU...

Sorry, just needed to vent...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Smiley Re: Making bootable media

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRider View Post
Oh, how I wish that were true. The company I work for builds computers used in the medical field. It's such a hassle getting a system certified for medical use the customers hang onto a design until we literally *can* *not* find parts. Most of our systems are comparable to a current PC, but we still build maybe a hundred units a month with floppies. The REAL pain in my butt is a customer who pulls old network cards with coax connections out of their dead/damaged systems & ship 'em to us so we can put them in their new systems. And believe it or not, just last week I tested 20 units built with a 386 CPU...

Sorry, just needed to vent...
Well, they'd be special order really I guess. I'd lol at someone if they hadned me a floppy disk now.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
Azred
Drow Priestess

Legacy stuff is found all over in the medical industry. There are pieces of equipment and computers running specialized programs that someone wrote 20 to 30 years ago that doctors and nurses still use and refuse to give up. Keeping equipment alive like VulcanRider does is a comfortable niche because your customers won't upgrade. Ever.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, same with schools. Jesus, those schools don't throw anything out until it has like ZERO power in it or blows up. Whichever comes first.