Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Blah!

I'm online, minding my own business, and my computer decides "HAY D00D I'MA SHUTTIN' OFF!" and it does. It does this after multiple attempts to turn it back on. I assume it's a heating problem or something, so I took the side panel off, and let it sit for a while. I come back and the problem still persists. I'm not real great with computers, so if any advice is given, try and keep it simple if possible?

I didn't get any error messages or anything, it just shuts off. It's pretty lame.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Could be a lot of things, maybe your mainboard died, or perhaps your harddrive. It won't start at all anymore ?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

I'm still saying it's likely power supply issues.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I think it's heat issues. I took the side panel off and let it run with a house fan blowing on it and it runs just fine. Five minutes after I move it *bzzt*.

It seems to be running okay.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

That does sound like heat issues, but a house fan isnt a good solution. First thing to do is to remove the fans and remove as much dust as possible from in their. It would also be helpful to improve the airflow as much as possible. Without spending money, its hard to do much but routing cables so they dont get in the way of the air will help, and IDE origami also helps if you have the older flat IDE cables, they really kill your airflow.

If that dosen't help, post back. We're going to spend some of your money. And maybe even get your dremel out. Try and get some temperatures, if your motherboard dosent have a temperature reporting facility, download Motherboard Monitor 5.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Either heat or an overworked power supply.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

This does not happen all of a sudden. Either your case fans have shi'ited the bed, or your PSU fan has gone South. Could also be an over abundenace of dust and ever so popular dust bunny factory working overtime within your PSU. When is the last time you disassembled your rig and cleaned it thoruoghly? How are the fans running? If it runs with the side panel off, then you are spot on! You have a heat issue. During your P-O-S-T, hit your hotkey, run through your BIOS, and check your hardware status. What is the temp on the CPU and the Case? Do you by chance have a hard temp reader? What about an OS software that reads the sensors?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote