Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-29-2001, 01:35 AM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

Just curious, but has anyone tried to solo the game with a single class thief, of any kit?

I'm thinking of trying an Assassin (from the series of books with Rune magic, Patryns, and worlds based on the elements, don't remember the name but there was a kickass Assassin character, part of a group and he was the Hand...), and possibly dualing to a mage later.

I just wanted to get some input...
Old 10-29-2001, 02:02 AM   #2
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

I was actually thinking of soloing a swashbuckler/mage.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:12 AM   #3
Kaleban
Manshoon

I just like the character concept of the Assassin. Plus, his anti-social nature (Shadow Thieves not-withstanding) is conducive to a solo-game. I was thinking a CN Assassin dualed to a mage later, possibly romancing Jaheira or Viconia (Jaheira bringing him to the "good" side as a plot hook, Viconia as the naughty temptress...) and having them as a sidekick.

I also thought perhaps not soloing the entire game, but bringing on one or two NPCs from time to time for their quests. My rationale is a character who does try to be evil, but it is not in his nature, and is constantly doing good things, whether by luck or fate. After this, my CN Elf Fighter-Mage is next, and I will model him after Elric of Melnibone.

BTW, for those who think Elric Kinslayer is evil, you have to realize that in Moorcock's world, Law and Chaos are the reigning ideologies, with good and evil being the way Man sees them due to Man's nature to fear change (and more complicated emotions, but Fear is a good motivating factor). Elric serves Chaos, but strives to defeat it, as well as Law to maintain the Balance. He also does not strive to do good things, nor go out of his way to do bad. Calling him Chaotic Evil is an over-simplification, and demeans the value of this highly developed character. His actions throughout the Eternal Champion series are those of someone torn within himself, and who has no clear path, and at times (frequently) will gamble everything away on a single cast of the die. He is the embodiment of the Chaotic Neutral philosophy.

/rant done
Old 10-29-2001, 10:15 AM   #4
Tilien
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Kaleban, it's Hugh the Hand in the Death Cycle series.

And it's an interesting idea. Although I think you'd have a really hard time soloing with a thief. Too many missing skills, and no magic. Once you get to higher levels, it's doable I think, but with the SoA xp and skill cap, you'd be severely limited.

------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
Old 10-29-2001, 10:16 AM   #5
daan
Silver Dragon

I once soloed (how the hell do you spell that ??!###!)
an assasin/mage
Its a nice combo:
Do NOT use him as a fighter though, you cant buff him up with protection spells and then kill evrybody with a sword ...
You'll have to rely on the mage for most of the time
The poison-extra is nice, though it gets less usefull once savingthrows of enemy's go up, still the concept of being an assasin is just FUN
anywayz, it's more than possible to do
Old 10-29-2001, 10:48 AM   #6
Kaleban
Manshoon

cool.

I'm wondering though, about skill allocation. Obviously, the Stealthy skills deserve first glance, but those two skills can easily be buffed by equipment found early (Shadow Thief armor, and Boots of Stealth), and later with invisibility and Staff of the Magi.

So I', assuming the best place to allocate the Assassin's skills would be into Pick Pockets, Find Taps, and Lockpicking, right? PP is a great way to get items and money, and obviously, FT and LP are lifesavers and XP gainers.

Also I plan on dualing at a higher than normal level with my Assassin in preparation for ToB. Most likely around level 16 to get the extra poisoning attack. And I think the being able to hit things question can be remedied by Tenser's Transformation, as you'll get the Thac0 of a fighter roughly equal to your Assy level once your mage gets high in level. Also, can anyone tell me if Improved Invisibility gives you unlimited backstabs? Of course, with the backstab-with-any-weapon bug, BS with the Staff of the Magi can make you nigh-unstoppable I would think...
Old 10-29-2001, 11:30 AM   #7
daan
Silver Dragon

Actually ..
I dualed at level 16 too
Remember though, that this means, your mage wont reach a very high level
(XP-cap), because the XP is summed up. I cant remember anymore, but you might have to remove the XP-cap (not so good choice) or use shadowkeeper to get to atleast lvl 17 (so thief skills kick in again). The reason you shouldnt remove the XP-cap is because you'll easily be a lvl 23 mage that way, while the ability-bonusses only stretch to lvl 17, it gives you 6 non-counting levels and that's NOT good if you want to play ToB.

Allocation:
Pick pocket is a definite MUST here indeed

I suggest you get your Hide in Shadow to around 100 too though, just make sure, that -once buffed up- its around 150.

Find traps you do NOT need, not for the XP, you'll get plenty as a solo, and NOT for the HP-loss since there will be none, if you have
stoneskin + mirror_image

Lock picking is optional, but there's allways the "knock" spell (no XP though)

Forget Detect illusion too, it never worked when i tried to use it, and i spend
!!200!! on it.

Basically make sure that Hide in shadows and PP are your main concern and you'll be fine

Improved invisibility will NOT insure unlimited backstabs, the enemy will see you once you attack. Potions of invisibility, invisibilty spell and the staff indeed work great in a battle >
Do make sure you have the cloak of NON-detection on you later in the game,
because some enemy's have a natural ability to see invisble creatures.
Just have it in your inventory, and wear a more usefull cloack most of the time

Hope this covers it all
Old 10-29-2001, 11:41 AM   #8
Kaleban
Manshoon

What about Move Silently then? Is it needed to be high like Hide in Shadows, or is it not as important. Honestly, it made more sense to have the two skills combined, because if you're trying to sneak around, why would you hide in shadows but NOT try to move silently???

I don't even know if the game checks for sound, as I've never been detected as a Wizard-type when invisible, and not silenced. So maybe Move Silently is not needed to be stealthy? Possible game bug then...?
Old 10-29-2001, 11:46 AM   #9
daan
Silver Dragon

Oopsie, missed that one :*(

Indeed move silently is important too, atleast ... i think.
It's a passive skill, so you never notice it, but i think it does influence the amount of time you can keep hiding yourself and IF you can hide yourself with enemy's around.
I never spend more then 20 -40 on it though.
As a mage, you'll be invisible in different ways than Hide in shadows most of the time anyway. I only used it, when i had to sneek past enemy's or too initiate the first attack. After that you're stuck too spells and potionms anyway, since you cant hide in shadows where enemy's are.
Old 10-29-2001, 02:47 PM   #10
Nifft the Nimble

I'm planning on soloing a halfling or elven Bounty Hunter... probably a elf as halflings look ridiculous.

-- Nifft