Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2001, 05:13 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

In one of my classes here, a Mongolian student was impressed and surprised that my demonstration of vocal placement options sounded like a Throat-singer from her homeland in Ulanbataar.

She gave me a CD to show what she meant.

Boy am I blown away. This singer achieves the 'effect' of two notes at once with the use of harmonics and resonater movement. Incredible! Very similar to the Tibetan technique, but uses more range.

I feel like I've been shown a whole new dimension to the instrument. I'd heard about this, but never heard it for myself.

I love delving into cultures. If was wasn't here, I wouldn't have met the Mongolian and got a window into her culture (we talked for ages after a class about her country).

Man. Had to share it or I'd burst, sorry ("Midas has donkeys ears, Midas has donkeys ears...")

------------------
Where were Hamlet and Horatio when I needed them?!

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 03-25-2001, 08:28 AM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Moiraine, perhaps I should have said "What do you think of Mongolian Music or something?

------------------

Old 03-25-2001, 08:42 AM   #3
Moiraine
Anubis

Er ... I read your post with a great interest, and I was very happy for you to have had a new wonderful experience, and for us that you had shared it - but I confess that I have limited experience in Mongolian music (shame on me ...), so I didn't know what to reply ...

OK, I will make very soon a trip to my favourite music store, and see what I can do to remedy to my ignorance.

------------------
Old 03-25-2001, 08:44 AM   #4
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Yorick... that sounds interesting. Could you post a sample or two at Stealthy's site on the Jukebox? Or is that too difficult from an internet cafe?

Glad you're having fun!

------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
(Skald, dragon trainer, & member of The Laughing Hyenas)
Old 03-25-2001, 08:52 AM   #5
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Far too often cultures we dont know or understand are rejected as outlandish or just "weird". But this just goes to show you.....

Sounds pretty cool Yorrick, try to post it somewhere. You might be starting a musical revelution!

------------------
[insert witty phrase here]
Old 03-25-2001, 08:54 AM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
Yorick... that sounds interesting. Could you post a sample or two at Stealthy's site on the Jukebox? Or is that too difficult from an internet cafe?

Glad you're having fun!

Thanks Bilqis. Actually I've managed to get a computer to the house I'm staying in. It's got some recording hardware with it, so if I can get it up and running... ...It'll be business as usual!
Thus the answer may be yes!

Moiraine you went to "Hat Baby" I take it?

------------------

Old 03-25-2001, 09:00 AM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Hello Yorick! I would be interested in hearing that myself!

------------------
Old 03-25-2001, 09:03 AM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
Far too often cultures we dont know or understand are rejected as outlandish or just "weird". But this just goes to show you.....

Sounds pretty cool Yorrick, try to post it somewhere. You might be starting a musical revelution!

Oh no Jerome, this is weird alright, but that's the whole point. Mind you, make sure you don't include Marco Polo, the Beatles, Bilqis (re. Yemen), Moiraine (re. Aussie) or myself in that royal 'we' there Jerome.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-25-2001).]
Old 03-25-2001, 09:09 AM   #9
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Oh no Jerome, this is weird alright, but that's the whole point. Mind you don't include me, Marco Polo, the Beatles, Bilqis (re. Yemen) or Moiraine (re. Aussie) in that royal 'we' there Jerome.

Actually Yorick & Jerome, we have many many tapes of Yemeni & Egyptian music (ever heard of Um Kulthum?) I keep bugging my husband to get them on cd before they die the eventual death of all cassette tapes. We are fans of World music at our house. Why limit ourselves to the same old boring stuff that airs on the radio or MTV??

Yorick, I'll be very interested to hear your next cd. I'm betting there will be multiple cultural influences in your new songs. Am I right?

And *YIPPEEEEE* to the possible posting of Mongolian music at Stealthy's.

------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
(Skald, dragon trainer, & member of The Laughing Hyenas)
Old 03-25-2001, 09:10 AM   #10
Moiraine
Anubis

Yes, Yorick, I went to the "Hatt baby" site - very weird indeed ! Especially while not understanding the lyrics ...

Oh, Jerome, I didn't say that I 'rejected' Mongolian music ! What I said that, unfortunately, there are so many interesting topics in this world, and one can not, alas !, know about all, I didn't happen to cross into Mongolian music yet, but now that Yorick has kindly pointed how interesting it is, I will for sure !
Ignorance is not rejection !

------------------