Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2002, 05:48 PM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

In just 3 days I start my university education, and to be honest... I'm terrified... I've never been a good student and I heard that you have to study at home a lot at, least 5 hours a day, if you want to get anywere. Knowing me I will take a look at the books for 20 minutes. maybe read a paragraph or 2 and either fall a sleep or find something horribly unproductive to do... like reading comics, playing videogames or reading RPG books.

So I was wondering if you knew any good study techniques, something to keep myself motivated, I know getting good grades should be a good enough motivation but try telling my brain that when it starts wandering of somewere, chasing dragons or killing zombies.
I appreciate any help basicly, thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 05:59 PM   #2
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Start controlling yourself, you have no idea the problem my game addiction gave me, 'cause i've been playing comp games since i was 5 and now im nearly 15. You need a lot of will, and just keep yourself to the books, dont give in to the lust, eventually you'll get over with it, though i must say that it works for me as i have a lot of fun studying And that 20 minute reading stuff is ok as studying in short but intensive bursts of concentration is the best way to study, try to think linearly not parallel as it distracts you a lot, and please dont punish yourself with forcing a routine abrubtly, adjust slowly and soon it'll become a part of your life, the most important thing is not to give in to the lust, cause i'm at the top of my class and even i can increase my potential if i dont get distracted, that's why i study in shorts burst of concentration, but when needed i can also study for 5-8 hours straight ! Hope this doesnt sound like crap
Old 08-27-2002, 06:15 PM   #3
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Distance yourself and find a good study environment. Pack up and live on college or something. A good study environment, with other like-minded people will go a long way to motivating you to study. Get into a healthy cycle of exercise, study and games. I really think that the key to concentration is liking what you're doing. If you like and enjoy what you're doing, you're more likely to sit still and actually do it and do well. All you need is motivation, the rest just come naturally. How to start studying is one thing, how to study effectively is another. But most of the time if you're motivated to do well and to succeed and you want to do what you're doing, and you're surrounded by similarly motivated people and you dont have as many distractions around you, your work will be a breeze.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:19 PM   #4
Moni

I just started my freshman year in college after being out of school for 22 years. I would say to approach it like just another year at school...you'll know soon enough (from the size of the classes and the approach the instructor takes to the course) how well you need to apply yourself to the subject's textbook in order to be able to pass the class. (I took notes in History for two semesters on the lectures...never opened the book the first semester until near finals and only then because my professor had captured my interest. I made an "A" both semesters, passing the first one on my notes alone.)

You'll find some courses with "Study Guides" and many instructors use them as the basis for their tests and finals...ask your instructor about it if you see a study guide for your subject...they can cut in half the amount of material would you have to read and absorb otherwise.

Solid study techniques include never studying for longer than an hour at a time. Take a ten to 15 minute break after each hour. I found this one in particular to suit me quite well as after an hour of study, I would be ready for a break.

Personally, I started taking a multi-vitamin supplement and a calcium supplement every day or every other day and I kid you not, I could remember details of texts throughout the semester...without taking them, I was toast LOL.

I am pushing a 3.5 GPA going into my sophomore year; better than I had done since my freshman year in H.S. (and I have memory problems due to a good whack in the head when I was a kid!)
Good Luck and Have Fun!

Old 08-28-2002, 01:18 AM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Try not to listen too much to lecturers/past students when they tell you you'll be spending your whole life studying - unless you're doing something really demanding like engineering or law you won't be. I've done a number of different areas (sciences and humanities) and I have friends/brother doing different ones again and frankly the projected study amounts are really inflated, and past students always say they worked far harder than they actually did. So don't stress too much about that.

However study motivation tips... well lots of people say it's important to have some special study area with no distractions etc - I study/do essays etc on my bed. Not very good for my back but it hasn't hurt my grades . Take lots of breaks too. If you go too much longer than half an hour your attention will wander and you may as well not be there anyway. Especially if it's especially boring. Like for instance I have an ancient history essay that I'm almost eager to start writing because I can tell it's going to be a masterpiece (heh ), but I was trying to write the intro to a psych report yesterday and I couldn't focus, it was so dull! So obviously do as much as you need to but space it out, and don't do too much in one day.

And don't overstudy! Even the most interesting material gets deathly if you read it too much. Try to time studying for exams so you don't get to a few days before and you're so sick of the material you just can't make yourself read it anymore. It'll be obvious soon enough how much you have to do to do well, so next time, do that much and no more.

Hope you do well [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2002, 08:37 AM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Don't set a study schedule, set a goal. Most people fail to set a goal for a semester or a class, then they spend their time worrying about "am I studying enough? is it time for my break from study yet? how many more chapters do I have to read tonight?"
Sit down, figure out what grade you want to make in a particular class, and then do what it takes to attain your goal; thus, the studying will take care of itself. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:01 AM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

personality does not change until it meets brutal neccesity. so my friend, when you run the risk of failure, nice quote by the way, you will find the techniqes. good luck. lol
Old 08-28-2002, 11:45 AM   #8
Jorath Calar
Harper

Thanks guys. Great advices, I think I have gained some confidence, I kind of look forward to start to see how I'll do.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:48 PM   #9
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

take it from me, a colledge student... In the begining it's a walk in the park and it only gets easier from there... hyuck hyuck... ^_^;