Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2002, 01:31 PM   #1
MagiK

You know...I have seen this mini-series a couple of times and read the book once....but watching it again on the Sci-Fi channel...this is one story that really manages to give me the creeps....anyone else think that SK wrote a story that could become all too true? (ok subtract the religious connotations for you agnostics and athiests and non-christians) it is still a rather chilling thought.

[ 08-24-2002, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 08-24-2002, 02:39 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Given that there are viruses that deadly that occur naturaly, and given that engineering such a virus to be airborne is well within current technology, Id say it will happen.

Damn, I hate predicting the end of the world. Because one day I'll be right.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:32 PM   #3
MagiK

Ooops its the USA network not the Sci-Fi channel [img]smile.gif[/img] but oh well.

Well there arent many "natural" diseases that can wipe out most of the world...else we wouldnt be here talking about them [img]smile.gif[/img] Ebola and Hemmoragic type strains have natural limitations on where they can thrive. It will be the human engineered bugs that get us if we are going to go out that way.

errr that is assuming we don't suddenly forget all the physical hygene lessons we have learned...the Greeks knew all about keeping clean and bathing...to have it all forgotten or repressed by the civilizations that followed which led to the Bubonic Plague that wiped out about 1/4 of the worlds population...Man is his own worst enemy some times.

Old 08-24-2002, 03:33 PM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Ah yes, The Stand. Wonderful movie. Really great. Seen it 2 or 3 times, it manages to creep me out at points, too.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:41 PM   #5
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

on the bright side there is no known natural or manufactured germ that will kill an entire population. The best they can do is crash a population down by about 80%. There will always be a small part of any population that is either immune or resistant to any given germ.If you combine several together though , then all bets are off.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:36 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I've both seen the movie and read the book, and it got to me too.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:07 AM   #7
Grimslade
Drow Warrior

Hmmm, was that the series with four film length parts? If it was, I thought it was crap. Sorry. Haven't read the books though.

Then again, I don't like SK. The only book of his I ever enjoyed was The Running Man, which he wrote under the name of Richard Bachman. The movie translation was OK, but they changed it too much...it would have been so much better if they had remained more faithful to the novel.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:09 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

I read the book and I *think* I saw the movie too, though I can't say I remember much of it.
I loved the book though, maybe I'll rent the movie some time soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 06:33 PM   #9
Azred
Drow Priestess

If you like The Stand, then you should try to find this British sci-fi drama from the late 70s called Survivors (or something like that). The premise is the same--a virulent man-made plague sweeps across the world and then it shows the trials and tribulations of those who are left.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:31 PM   #10
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I read the book and I *think* I saw the movie too, though I can't say I remember much of it.
I loved the book though, maybe I'll rent the movie some time soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]
You should do, I read the book quite some time ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, and when I rented out the movie I expected it to not live up to the same standards, but it's a good film.
Also it doesn't miss out huge chunks of plot or change the story like some adaptions do. [img]tongue.gif[/img]