Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2001, 07:23 PM   #11
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

"Theoretically If I complete the game 10 times, I will have the greatest character ever to grace AMN,

100% magic resistance
100% resistance fire, ice, col
400 approx hitpoints

41 constitution!!!!! unfortunately u can't get it, so just 25. Still then I would be unstoppable MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....kneel before me feeble warriors. I shall now complete the game another 9 times!"

Hmm... Won't you get bored? ( restarting with a high level char is no more fun than with a low one. There's more to accomplish with low level ones.)

Believe it or not, when I played UO, people would chop wood and mine ore for days on end, in order to build up strength. You would see mages running about spellstriking themselves so as to build up their resistance.
That's not role playing - it's something else called powergaming. You might end up with a powerful character numerically, but he'll have the personality of a machine.

It's not about the numbers, but about the fun you have playing. Try a weak kit next time around instead, and develop your player skills and strategies. Assassin is a good one to try, so's Jester and Druid.

Old 07-24-2001, 08:53 PM   #12
Starkiller
The Magister

Hmmm...I think everyone here has valid comments, we are talking about powergaming versus roleplaying, but lets be honest and put things in perspective. We are playing a computer game here, it is not pnp, and therefor how when you say "roleplay" it has a slightly different meaning. Sure, you can stay in character, and roleplay to an extent, but when everyone you are interacting with is computer controlled it is not the same, there is an element of powergaming inherent in single player computer game rpgs that is not present in pnp rpgs, namely: you are the main character, and the quests get harder and longer with the intent of you getting more baddass, and it be very cool and cinematic if you kick ass, unlike in pnp, in which if one player imported an amazing character everyone else would be pissed and have nothing to do. Trying to REALLY roleplay in a single player game is kind of like going to that automated hall of the presidents place in Disney World and trying to have an authentic 19th century conversation with one of them even though all their speeches are preprogrammed. Its a little silly when you think about it. That said, I never really saw the fun in running through a game with a god-like character since the challenge is gone. I mean re importing 10 times?! No, to answer your question it is not technically cheating, but it is the kind of story that will make most gamers roll their eyes and smile politely. I personally ran through the game, and have now imported the charcter ONCE, simply because I wanted to play through the whole game with ToB installed to see what, if any changes were made, and I have already noticed some dialouge thats different. I find having my charcter is just a lot less tedious since I want to run through the first part quickly, and I want it to be MY character, IE the one that ran through BG1 and 2, and I had no other saved games except with way low xp to import from, and they did not have all the spells in my spell book and such which I had worked so hard for. It is a choice also, since some of my stats were lowered from my previous playthrough, and I know they will be lowered again, but basically I am saying that both sides have valid points and we should all stop arguing and post the locations of legendary items on my other post....hehe

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"