Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-13-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
Wutchamakalit
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you're anything like me, and I'm almost certain that you are, you have at one time or another come across the problem of having way more scrolls, ammunition and potions than any sane person could ever want or need. All your scroll cases and other containers are already full, and you're on the verge of a nervous breakdown because you simply CAN NOT ditch any of the stuff. It might come in handy some day, yet deep down you know you'll never use those scrolls of magic missile or that potion of invulnerability. But you can't throw them out, you just can't.

Well my good obsessive-compulsive chum, salvation is here, in the form of my first crappy mod.

It adds a vendor in the Crooked Crane in the City Gates of Athkatla (duh). This vendor, who goes by the name of Craig, sells 5 scroll cases that will never ever get full, one for each color scroll and one for those scrolls you just might sell some day. He also has two bottomless gem bags and if you have TOB, an ammo belt and a potion case.

Of course, some people might think I'm a horrible cheater for creating this, while others may scoff at me because they've already modded their containers. Others still are intrigued by my ingenuity and want to be my willing servants who I will send to certain death against all those who would oppose me.

In any case, this mod adds containers. And that's all I have to say about that.

You can download this fantastic once-in-a-lifetime mod here.
And if that doesn't work, go here, scroll down, and download from there.

ps. I am fully aware that this is like the simplest mod in the universe. I made it in maybe 8 hours while learning how to make npcs, dialogs and so on. Feel free to flame me for my lameness, just make sure it consists of insults more elaborate than "lol u suk noob". Thank you, drive safely.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Actually...nice work. The Ease of Use mod makes a bottomless bag of holding, but nothing like the different color scroll cases. Nice job [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
slimjimosu
Dungeon Master

Nice work! Question though, can this be installed over top of weidu mods or does this count as a non-weidu/must be installed first mod? Thanks in advance
slimjimosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:25 PM   #4
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Why bother? It's cheating, and managing your inventory well is a much more satisfying solution. Keep only what you're going to use. Keep expired key items and books and letters and the like in a container somewhere. If you keep potions, make sure you use them. Sell all but the most useful scrolls.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
It's cheating...
Technically, ALL mods other than the official BioWare patch are cheats. But as for the other definition of the word "cheating," namely that it unfairly makes difficult fights easier to beat, how does being able to carry 57 sets of Splint Mail affect the difficulty of Firkraag? Or how would a stack of 217 Potions of Extra Healing make the Illithid Tunnels any easier?

Quote:
....managing your inventory well is a much more satisfying solution.
As Alson, a former IronWorker, once said, "And if this game were called 'Baldur's Gate 2: The Quest for Item-Shuffling,' I'd buy that." I don't want to have to stop what I'm doing and look for a storage spot because I've run out of room for storing my Kou-Toa Bolts.

However, with all that said, a certain amount of moderation would not be amiss--it seems kind of ludicrous to be wandering around, carrying every single movable object in Amn in a little blue bag on your back. My solution makes much more sense: I put every single movable object in Amn on top of a few tables back in my stronghold.

Besides, my game lags if I try to carry the world in my Bag of Holding, so I clean it out (ammo especially) periodically.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:10 PM   #6
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Funny you should say that. Once, a long long time ago, I managed to fit the universe into my school satchel by turning it inside out. It's just a matter of perspective.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:57 AM   #7
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
I managed to fit the universe into my school satchel by turning it inside out.
wry smile . . .

the mod sounds good to me and a reasonable alternative to the obligatory 3 day return journey to a certain area - pretending that you're hard as nails merely to buy a certain carrying case from a shop with a very good view before scarpering
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:06 AM   #8
Wutchamakalit
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by slimjimosu:
Nice work! Question though, can this be installed over top of weidu mods or does this count as a non-weidu/must be installed first mod? Thanks in advance
It's a WeiDU mod, so there shouldn't be any problems.

If there is just post here so I can find a way to fix them.

Quote:
Why bother? It's cheating, and managing your inventory well is a much more satisfying solution. Keep only what you're going to use. Keep expired key items and books and letters and the like in a container somewhere. If you keep potions, make sure you use them. Sell all but the most useful scrolls.
Actually, I hated managing my inventory. Messing around with all those stacks of 5 potions drove me nuts, I spent more time looking at the inventory than I did fighting the meanies. That's why I like the ease-of-use mod as it allowed me to actually play the game.
I tried to do something similar here, and while it might be 'cheating' it is also 'convenient'.

As for key items and other junk I just dump it in a barrel in the slums. It's the scrolls and other stuff that "might be useful one day" that's causing me grief.

okay i'll stop typing now
Old 07-14-2004, 06:17 AM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

Is Alson indeed a former IW member, Six? IIRC I have seen him online once or twice not too long ago..
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:20 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Alson still posts, just in different forums.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote