Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what was wrong with my stupid hunk of junk computer. I've been having trouble logging onto a site that I log onto everyday, today everytime I log on I get this message (never seen it before):

When I click ok my internet shuts its self down completely, I havent a clue whats wrong, but I have a feeling it has somthing to do with my little brother messing with the internet settings (me and him are going to be having words when he wakes up in the morning lol).

Anyway if anyone has any idea as to what is wrong or how to fix it them please let me know, I've been trying for the last two hour and I'm getting ready to pull out my hair. Bah computers I'm surprised I still have any hair left.

[ 04-18-2007, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Daniel ]
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I'd guess that the little box in the tools/internet options/advanced section has been set to not run active X on websites. This is one way that some bad sites can damage your PC. (Are you using Explorer?)

I assume you have an updated DirectX.

The site is trying to run something that your computer has been told to block because it may be dangerous...but if you trust the site then there is no reason to block it.

I admit, this part puzzles me:
When I click ok my internet shuts its self down completely

Edit: Do you have or did you bro install a spyware or antivirus program that you were not using before?

[ 04-18-2007, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey...try going to the DirectX diagnostic tools section (run: dxdiag) and seeing if you have at least DirectX 9c and if there are any problems noted in the notes sections. That is all I can think of as to address the problem of the crashes you're experiencing when trying to run ActiveX. Something is amiss which is causing the crashes...not a setting out of place I am starting to think. Can you get your brother to confess what he did to mess things up?

I can advise on several tactics to get him to talk...

[ 04-18-2007, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 04-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I'd guess that the little box in the tools/internet options/advanced section has been set to not run active X on websites. This is one way that some bad sites can damage your PC.

I assume you have an updated DirectX.

The site is trying to run something that your computer has been told to block because it may be dangerous...but if you trust the site then there is no reason to block it.

I admit, this part puzzles me:
When I click ok my internet shuts its self down completely

Edit: Do you have or did you bro install a spyware or antivirus program that you were not using before?
I couldnt find any box to do with active X in the advanced section of internet options. As for DirectX I didnt think it was relevant but I think I'm running DirectX9, I'm not sure if there is a newer version out I'll check shortly.

As for the site I dont know what my computer thinks is dangerous about it lol its just my Final Fantasy XI Guild forum: http://s15.invisionfree.com/Moeneytree/index.php?

EDIT: whoops put the url in wrong, just fixed it

[ 04-18-2007, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Daniel ]
Old 04-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Hey...try going to the DirectX diagnostic tools section (run: dxdiag) and seeing if you have at least DirectX 9c and if there are any problems noted in the notes sections. That is all I can think of as to address the problem of the crashes you're experiencing when trying to run ActiveX. Something is amiss which is causing the crashes...not a setting out of place I am starting to think. Can you get your brother to confess what he did to mess things up?

I can advise on several tactics to get him to talk...
I'm not even sure if my brother is responsible I just got in from work, turned on the PC and it was running strange to begin with, programs not responding, I had to shut down and reboot a few times but the problem seemed to clear its self up after I switched accounts and then switched back, so I dont know what was wrong, but when I tried logging onto the site afterwards, the message and the shutdowns started. I assumed my brother had somthing to do with it as he is the only who has been home all day, I'll just have to speak to him in the morning.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Sorry I'm one of those computer illiterate people, where will I find the DirectX diagnostic tools section?

EDIT: nevermind I did a search and found it, nope no problems found in the notes section, meh I give up for tonight its late and I need my sleep. Thanks for trying to help though.

[ 04-18-2007, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Daniel ]
Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Time to break out the old standard... have you checked for spyware and malware? Strange behavior like that... could be the problem. Or it could be something else [img]smile.gif[/img]

Head to www.trendmicro.com to run their housecall on-line checker... that checks virii and malware, IIRC.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Umm I havent a clue what was up last night but my internet is no longer shutting down, I still get the activeX message but at least I can access my site now. Anyway thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I do not get the message that you are getting on visiting that site, so it's not the site's fault, something that I was thinking about earlier.

If you really want to make sure that everything is back to the way you used to have it, do a system restore.

BTW...sorry about the ActiveX controls not being where I said they would be. I don't know why, but I thought that there was a place to select whether or not a site could run ActiveX on your computer...but I guess I have forgotten where that is. Beh...
Old 04-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #10
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:

BTW...sorry about the ActiveX controls not being where I said they would be. I don't know why, but I thought that there was a place to select whether or not a site could run ActiveX on your computer...but I guess I have forgotten where that is. Beh...
Dont worry, I found them anyway under, Internet Properties > Security > Custom Level.