Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-29-2001, 03:12 PM   #1
daeomer
Manshoon

Do people still use shields???? Most of the people talk about using 2 weapons at once instead of using a shield. Is it really that much better?? One of my parties right now has Korgan and a Dwarven Fighter who use shields and they rarely get touched and still seem to eventually cut through anything they encounter.

Another party has Minsc with a 2 handed sword, Valygar with 2 katanas, Jaheira with a quarterstaff and and archer for support. They probably dispatch enemies more quickly but also get hurt more often.

Which of these three types of weapon configurations are best... opinions please!
1) weapon + shield
2) Two handed weapon
3) two weapons

Also do people ever use Halberds?
Old 10-29-2001, 03:16 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I always keep shields handy for tough fights and certain enemies.

My must have shields are the Shield of Harmony, Shield of Balduran, Shield of Reflection and the Dragon Shield.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:27 PM   #3
Byronas

I prefer Two Handed Weapon Style since I usually use two handed swords!

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.
Leader of Keldorn's Order

Old 10-29-2001, 04:29 PM   #4
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

The general consensus on weapon style is:

two-weapon style is useless unless you spend 3 slots on it.
Its best if your off-hand weapon provides bonuses other than attack-related, because your off-hand attacks infrequently (so Da'kkons blade is a good fit for your off-hand since you get an AC bonus and spells).
Crom Fayer is a great off-hand weapon with its STR modification.

Sword and Shield style is useless, so even if you decide to use this config, don't spend slots on it. Shields can be nice, but I prefer to cast buff spells to improve AC, rather than cripple my fighters by equipping shields. You also can't equip bows or crossbows with a shield.

Two-Handed style is nice for pure power. At least one of your fighter's should use this. More criticals, more damage, more carnage
Old 10-29-2001, 08:32 PM   #5
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

i usually use 2 weapons at once. but for some things, like Carsomyr (or however you spell it) i make some exceptions. I am using a kensai with a katana in each hand, and when he runs into an enemy its meat salad in about 1/2 a second. they dont even get a chance to attack

------------------
"They come in the dark. Always in the dark. Gods how I fear the dark..." -Eldgrige Ebonall

"The only good mage is a dead mage, or at least one that can't cast spells" Sven Stonebreaker

"Warriors and wizards, what else is next" KeNciL KiLkaDiN