Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 04:46 PM   #21
Jorath Calar
Harper

Vađlaheiđarvegavinnuverkfćrageymsluskúr

Icelandic's longest word.

I could tell you about Icelandic grammar, were every verb has 54 diffrent versions... but I would need a whole forum for it... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2004, 04:47 PM   #22
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS

Just one I grabed out of the air.

A lung disease caused by breathing in certain particles.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #23
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Smiley

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
A town in Wales...

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

Per the BBC... "The name translates as 'St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave'."

I used to have an audio clip of a native saying the town name as my Windows startup sound. On a good day, and before beers, I can still say it.

Also according to the BBC... "It is believed that the name ... was invented by a cobbler from Menai Bridge; little did he know that he had implemented one of the most successful tourist marketing plans of all time. Today the village is signposted as Llanfairpwllgwyngyll and is known to locals as Llanfairpwll or Llanfair."
A hill in New Zealand.....

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu.

Game, set and match to our Kiwi cousins I think.......

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 06-03-2004, 06:09 PM   #24
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Ahem. The largest word ever to appear in the English language is...

Ornicopytheobibliopsychocrystarroseioaerogenethlio meteoroaustrohieroanthropoich-
tyopyrosiderochpnomyoalectryoophiobotanopegohydror habdocrithoaleuroalphitohalom-
ybdoclerobeloaxinocoscinodactyliogeolithopessopsep hocatoptrotephraoneirochiroon-
ychodactylarthstichooxogeloscogastrogyrocerobleton ooenoscapulinaniac.

"Medieval scribes used this word to refer to 'a deluded humain who practices divination of forecasting by means of phenomena, interpretation of acts, or other manifestations related to [long, long list of stuff.]

Source: The Top 10 of Everything 2001

EDIT: So the formatting doesnt mess up the page.

[ 06-03-2004, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: True_Moose ]
Old 06-03-2004, 06:13 PM   #25
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
A hill in New Zealand.....

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu.

Game, set and match to our Kiwi cousins I think.......
Actually, the formal name of Bangkok, Thailand is 167 letters, making it the longest place name in the world. However, there are spaces and stuff, so Taumata[...] takes the prize. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2004, 06:21 PM   #26
Grojlach
Zartan

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia seems to be the proper response to all of the above... It basically means "fear of long words".

Oh, and a very interesting site on this matter, definitely worth reading: [img]smile.gif[/img]
http://www.informationgenius.com/enc...n_english.html

And there are words on that page that make True Moose's entry look as long as "ouch".

Quote:
Everett Smith's prediction seems to have been proven true by the 207,000+ letter word cited by the Guinness Book of Records which allegedly represents the name for human mitochondrial DNA.
[ 06-03-2004, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 06-03-2004, 06:57 PM   #27
Jorath Calar
Harper

When they named that hill they just picked random letters and arranged them until it looked like a very long word... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2004, 07:39 PM   #28
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

you guys are talking gibberish to me [img]tongue.gif[/img] . seriously! im a simple minded guy and cant even say the first 7 letters of all the words you guys presented to me.

Jorath: your sig of lotr is cool [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 06-03-2004, 09:01 PM   #29
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

'you guys are talking gibberish to me . seriously! im a simple minded guy and cant even say the first 7 letters of all the words you guys presented to me.'

Even Homoautonecroeroticism?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:04 PM   #30
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Dirty Meg, for a second there I thought you were saying you're a guy and that you feel the same way as Hark Then I realised you just don't know about the quote feature see the little quote button with the red arrow above each post?
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray