Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-30-2004, 09:55 PM   #21
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
originally posted by Vaskez

Hmm that worked in your school did it? If anyone tried that at our school the bully's gang would come with knives and baseball bats.
I wasn't necessarily talking about school, more like bullies in general. And it wasn't much different here. I've had my share of beatings and broken noses when they teamed up on me. Except it never ended there. I rounded up a few friends of my own and got even again.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:59 PM   #22
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

You know, I've always wondered about something. About half of the bullies in these schools, they like to pick on people over twice their size, as was the case in my post above. Is there some kind of inferiority complex or the fact they try to compensate for their size? Because seriously, if you want to try and bully someone twice your size, you deserved to get a punch in the face [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Well Vaskez, it really depends on the school you go to. Small town schools like mine don't fight street wise or dirty, just face to face. In bigger cities, I can see knives, chains and so on, so in that case, it probably is best just to keep things cool.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:11 AM   #23
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Bullying is a horrible thing at it's worst. It makes me so mad to see to other get picked on. I went through a phase myself, and I can say, not all bullies are insecure. A lot of the bullies I had to put up had g/fs, popularity, money, I knew their parents and they seemed to be doing well. A lot of the bullies I had were two-faced on me. They acted like my friend when it was just us, but when they got around a group of certain friends they'd turn on me. Methods I used to deal with were, just ignoring them , it didn't work all to well but they left once they lost interest. I also retaliated with insults, since the best insult they could come up with was saying something about your mother or father or saying your gay is mostly all they can come up with here I had the upper hand here. Violence was my last answer. I just gave them a quick jab to the stomach, they shutup for awhile. They started again and I popped them in the jaw and I've gained a certain respect for them. Violence should not be used, unless it gets too far. I'm not the best at advice, hehe. Give your sister my regards uss, I hope things get better for her.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 01-31-2004, 06:48 AM   #24
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
originally posted by Vaskez

Hmm that worked in your school did it? If anyone tried that at our school the bully's gang would come with knives and baseball bats.
I wasn't necessarily talking about school, more like bullies in general. And it wasn't much different here. I've had my share of beatings and broken noses when they teamed up on me. Except it never ended there. I rounded up a few friends of my own and got even again. [/QUOTE]Ah I see. Well I had mates who would have been willing to "back me up" but really, most of my friends weren't the sort of people who'd get involved in gang fights - and nor am I! I'd rather take a few punches then get into all that crap. It got me through and even got me respected after a while.

Most of my mates who would've backed me up were pakistani or indian while the hardnuts were all white, english. I was neither english nor asian so I was always kinda halfway between them, heh. Anyway, there were enough racial fights around, if I'd've got my asian mates to fight some of the white hardnuts I would've been starting a racial battle. Not really worth it for taking a few punches I think!
If a small group from one side started something with a small group from the other, it would've escalated. There were at least 30-40 asians who would've got involved and the school was on a council estate, where not only a lot of the kids, but also a lot of the parents weren't always on the right side of the law. There would've been like 60 or 70 of them with their dads and baseball bats ready to kick the crap out of some asians. It could easily have escalated from a small 3 on 3 battle, most of the people in question were stupid and stubborn enough.

But in the end, if I see any of these people these days, they have all calmed down and changed.

[ 01-31-2004, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-31-2004, 08:46 AM   #25
Mr_Krift
Zhentarim Guard

Hehe, Me and my friends have fun with this, Him and I strive to be different and there are a lot of people that have problems with that, Thats alright tho becuase it's my own indiduality, know what i do? They go hey your a faggot and such, I say thank you, or I try or my personal favorite You werent complaining about it last night
Old 01-31-2004, 11:56 AM   #26
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Oh, someone calling you homosexual is the easiest and most pleasant to deal with. The advice I give everyone is to say something along the lines of, "Awwww... Why? You're lonely?" or perhaps, "I TOLD you I'm not, so stop hitting on me!"

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:59 PM   #27
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Wow... a big challenge, to be sure.

I believe the bully is trying to build up or maintain his or her own self-image at some else's expense.

I believe that bullies like silence. They're trying to see what buttons they can push, so if you're silent, they keep pushing (and trying new ones) until they either hit one, or they get bored. If you can wait them out, silence will work.

I don't believe violence really works. It's more of an accelerator -- up the conflict a level, and see if the other person will back down. Problem is what happens if they don't....

I prefer using verbal self-defence, although I'm usually better at it a day later. That's something you can help your sister do -- role play different scenarios, where you try to be the nasty, and get her used to delivering those witty comments (like Illumina's above [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] ).

Practice going several rounds (comment, response, comment back, response back, and so on). Get her ready with half-a-dozen retorts, and the makings for more (things where you can switch a word or two), and she'll be set to defend herself.

Pity also can make it interesting.

"Lesbian!"

"Oh, dear... were you fantasizing again?" *walk off*

At that age as well, I believe that sexual identity starts to become a concern, which is why I believe that sexual preference is a common bullying topic. So it may all be about the bully...

Support your sister. You're allowed [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck. To you both.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:20 AM   #28
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

If anyone kidding with me like this the guy i smack him down in two seconds! And if my sister have any problems with the guy he will go down fast wery fast no muking around here they go down who ever they are!

And i dont say this because i am a god or something i have brown belt in carate and a pretty hig rank in boxing so i know i can take down maybe 80% of the males if they try anything on me!

[ 02-01-2004, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 02-01-2004, 04:23 AM   #29
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Ah I see. Well I had mates who would have been willing to "back me up" but really, most of my friends weren't the sort of people who'd get involved in gang fights - and nor am I! I'd rather take a few punches then get into all that crap. It got me through and even got me respected after a while.

Most of my mates who would've backed me up were pakistani or indian while the hardnuts were all white, english. I was neither english nor asian so I was always kinda halfway between them, heh. Anyway, there were enough racial fights around, if I'd've got my asian mates to fight some of the white hardnuts I would've been starting a racial battle. Not really worth it for taking a few punches I think!
If a small group from one side started something with a small group from the other, it would've escalated. There were at least 30-40 asians who would've got involved and the school was on a council estate, where not only a lot of the kids, but also a lot of the parents weren't always on the right side of the law. There would've been like 60 or 70 of them with their dads and baseball bats ready to kick the crap out of some asians. It could easily have escalated from a small 3 on 3 battle, most of the people in question were stupid and stubborn enough.

But in the end, if I see any of these people these days, they have all calmed down and changed.
Whilst I come from Surrey, so gangwars were at a minimum when I was growing up, I've gotta agree with Vaskez about fightikng bullies. Its easier to ride it out in my experience. About the only time I ever punched back I got completely pounded for my trouble. And as for my mates backing me up it seems a bit ludicrous as they were mostly getting it just as bad as I was. Malcolms friends from Malcolm in the Middle remind me of my school mates far too much... although none of my friends were genius's come to think of it.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 02-01-2004, 07:54 AM   #30
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
If anyone kidding with me like this the guy i smack him down in two seconds! And if my sister have any problems with the guy he will go down fast wery fast no muking around here they go down who ever they are!

And i dont say this because i am a god or something i have brown belt in carate and a pretty hig rank in boxing so i know i can take down maybe 80% of the males if they try anything on me!
LOL yeah it sounds very nice about beating him down, but as I was saying and as backed up by Barry, if you'd tried that in my school you'd've had a gang of 10 to deal with and then what you gonna do? They all gather round and kick you on the floor till they think you've had enough.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray