Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-24-2001, 08:40 AM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

Ok, I've been doing my sorceror research and found a really good guide on spell selections from gamefaqs, here's what it says

L1- Magic Missle, Chromatic Orb, Spook, Burning Hands, and Friends
L2- Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Vocalize, Blur, Invis.
L3- Skull Trap, Slow, Flame Arrow, Prot. Normal Missles, Remove Magic
L4- Fireshield (Red or Blue), Greater Malaison, Stoneskin, Wizard's Eye, Poly Self
L5- Breach, Lower Resist, Sunfire, Spell Immunity, Animated Dead
L6- Chain Lightning, Protect from Magic Weapons, Death Spells, True Sight, Protect from Magic Energy
L7- Finger of Death, Project Image, M's Sword, Limited Wish, Summon H
L8- Horrid Wilting, Spell Trigger, Power Word Blind, Summon Fiend
L9- Time Stop, Spellstrike, Wish, Chain Contigiency

Now, here's what I'm thinking of changing.
L1- ditching Chrom Orb. It's pretty useless at the higher levels, but I don't know what to replace it with as L1 spells aren't all that great. What's another good L1 spell?
L2- is Vocalize all that useful? if not what should I replace it with?
L3- do I need protect from normal missles? My sorc would always be in the back so I would figure he would be the last target for archers. What should I replace this with?
L4- the same goes for fireshield, should I expect baddies to ever get that close to me? any L4 spell suggests?
L5- the rationale behind spell immunity is protection from imprisonment. Is there a better choice and another way around imprisonment?
L6- How important are the protection spells, and if I can do without, what should I replace them with?
L8- Summon Fiend sounds good, but don't I need to protect my party from evil so I don't get mangled?

Furthermore, I don't know what level it is, but should't I fit similacrum in there somewhere? I hear that it is very useful. I'd apprectiate any other tips on spell selection. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2001, 09:32 AM   #2
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

I would also take indentify. You can cast it of a scroll or go to a shop or temple but when you are in the middle of a dungeon, like spellhold, you might want to be able to cast it even if you don't have a scroll. I would keep chrom orb and ditch burning hands or friends.
Level 2 sounds good. If you don't want vocalize you can take fireball (at least i think it's a level 2 spell)
For level 3, i would ditch flame arrow.
I agree with level 4. Don't take fireshield. Take poly other instead. Polymorphed a drow mage into a squirrel once.
Level 5. Other ways excist but i would take spell immunity. I would ditch animate dead here because you'll probably have a cleric who can do it better then you anyway.
Level 6. Keep those. They might save your life as most higher level opponents have magic weapons.
Level 8. You need prot. from evil. But if you have a paladin or cleric, they can cast it too. I would ditch power word blind and go with power word stun.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
Old 09-24-2001, 10:38 AM   #3
Ugaya
Manshoon

Lots of spoilers ahead:

I think the number of spells available per level are not correct (at least in SoA without ToB):
I got 5 spells of level 1 and 2, 4 of level 3-5, 3 of level 6-8, 2 of level 9 (with a level 19 sorcerer (XP cap removed)).

Now, the spoilers:

My personal list was (again, only for SoA):
L1 - Magic Missile, Shield, Spook, Chromatic Orb and Friends.
Really important are only Magic Missile, Spook (early in the game) and the Orb (which should combined with Greater Malisons). Identify is easily done by the Glasses of Identification.
L2 - Acid Arrow (vs. Trolls), Mirror Image (protection issues), Strength (if have weaklings in your party), Invisibility (if you like scouting with your thief and don’t take Jan with you), Web (in combination with Cloud Kill, Greater Malisons or Lower Resistances).
An item (available in chapter 3) gives permanent “Vocalization”. Blur isn’t necessary if you have Shield and Stone Skin.
L3 - Flame Arrow, Skull Trap (dangerous if your enemies don’t trigger it, relatively short range compared to fireball), Slow (works fine through the whole game - as always - combined with Greater Malisons), Minor Spell Deflection (useful if you plan to do a certain quest early in the game). I never use Prot. From Normal Missiles, again because of Shield and Stoneskin.
L4 - Greater Malison (if you want most of your spells working, take it), Stoneskin (without it your lifespan will be pretty short), Ice Storm (the only damaging spell in level 4), Secret Word.
L5 - Breach (take it or reload), Lower Resistance (makes even the strongest golem or dragon vulnerable to magic), Spell Immunity (protects you from Imprisonment or your illusions from being dispelled), Animate Dead (it’s duplicating a cleric spell but the skeleton warriors are very cool), Sunfire is only for stand alone sorcerers because you are its centre and the only one who doesn’t suffer).
L6 - Chain Lightning (very effective but target it carefully), Summon Nishruu (see it gnawing on enemy mages), Prot. From Magic Energy (the best protection from the deadly Horrid Wilting which is often used by high level mages). True Sight is very important but also provided by clerics and druids.
L7 - Spell Turning (vs. Beholders), Finger of Death (even a successful save means damage), Ruby Ray of Reversal (removes Spell Trap)
L8 - Horrid Wilting (the ultimate offensive spell), Pierce Shield (Lower Resistance included), Spell Trigger.
L9- In SoA only available by removing the XP cap. Time Stop and Spell Trap. Chain contingency would be great (you can store 3 Horrid Wiltings) but the trigger conditions could be better).
Old 09-24-2001, 03:25 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Well... ... I finally hauled my ass and made a webpage for my spell list.

Here's the link.

Click here!

Heh, now I no longer need to type the same thing over and over again.

Hmmmm... I should really get around to typing that Dragon Tips Webpage.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 09-24-2001, 03:51 PM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Here are the guidelines I always follow when choosing my Sorcerer's spells:

Choose only Red(Offensive) spells, the only exception is Identify, maybe Time Stop if I feel like wasting a spell.

Always choose Mordenkainen's Magnificent Sword(7th Lvl) and Horrid Wilting(?th Lvl).

Spider Spawn is great for the early game.

Magic Missiles rules.

Don't forget Lower Magic Resistance.

Greater Malison can also be useful.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy

General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department and Jumprope Compound in the IW Peacekeeping Force.

I've also got a pretty long sig.
Old 09-24-2001, 04:07 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Neb, do you use Chain Contingency?

[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 09-24-2001).]
Old 09-24-2001, 06:15 PM   #7
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Hrm I don't consider crom orb bad at high levels. Really it doesn't get good until high level. Once you get past the time when you petrify crom orb rocks. The damage is good but the main thing is the chance to kill.