Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Very Angry :Cry: NWN 2

I somehow managed to corrupt both my saved modules, and lost 15 areas. 12 of them exteriors...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Very Angry Re: :Cry: NWN 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
I somehow managed to corrupt both my saved modules, and lost 15 areas. 12 of them exteriors...

UGH.. That really sucks. I know the feeling of losing lots of work Sorry about that man. Damn NWN2 and the crappy programming by Obsidian.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: :Cry: NWN 2

It bites, for sure. As much as I hate to say this, it's a good thing I didn't have a chance to put any custom stuff in yet.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Happend me with the only NWN2 area I built. Lost 3 hours of work, and of course the auto-backup corrupted also, for no apparent reason. That's when I made the decision to go no further with NWN2 building and went back to good ole NWN1.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I've got a decent SP module that I was running online in 1, I really should finish it one day...*sigh*
Old 08-26-2007, 04:31 AM   #6
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

This is why I'm using NWN1 to make a game.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Happend me with the only NWN2 area I built. Lost 3 hours of work, and of course the auto-backup corrupted also, for no apparent reason. That's when I made the decision to go no further with NWN2 building and went back to good ole NWN1.
Auto-backup should DEFINITELY be disabled. That's the FIRST thing the folks in the Bioware:NWN2 Toolset forums recommend doing.

RTB, were you running auto-back-up?

There are a bunch of tips in the Toolset forums for saving and backing up modules. In fact this on the very page of that forum in the FAQ:

"- turn off Autosave. Plan to take manual backups of your work. Important: If working in directory mode, you must disable autosave. Not doing this risks having your work deleted.
- If you're working in module mode (saving your file as a .mod file) try saving your module as a directory. (File | Save Directory). To open it again, use File | Open Directory.
- If you're working in directory mode, trying saving in module mode."

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 08-26-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Falling on Floor Laughing Re: :Cry: NWN 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
Auto-backup should DEFINITELY be disabled. That's the FIRST thing the folks in the Bioware:NWN2 Toolset forums recommend doing.

RTB, were you running auto-back-up?

There are a bunch of tips in the Toolset forums for saving and backing up modules. In fact this on the very page of that forum in the FAQ:

"- turn off Autosave. Plan to take manual backups of your work. Important: If working in directory mode, you must disable autosave. Not doing this risks having your work deleted.
- If you're working in module mode (saving your file as a .mod file) try saving your module as a directory. (File | Save Directory). To open it again, use File | Open Directory.
- If you're working in directory mode, trying saving in module mode."
I had Autosave disabled the second or third day I used the toolset. It cost me a single area because it fired while I was compiling a script. The two together are not compatible. My backup was a manual save. I'd save normally, and then Save As for the backup.

Up until this incident, that was the only incident I'd had with losing stuff. I've had textures paint out pitch black, and "dead zones" where I couldn't lay down any grass, regardless of whether there were any placeables in the affected square or not. Mileage varied on the "dead zones" too, as on one load it wouldn't paint grass in a square, and on the next load it would, but another zone would be dead.

Rob McGinnis offered assistance to recover the module, unfortunately, since it was a "hobby" build, I simply deleted both copies, and went on to another project for a while. Not that it doesn't suck to lose all that work, but it was destined to be deleted anyway, since it was the "conquer the learning curve" module. :triste:
Old 08-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
I had Autosave disabled the second or third day I used the toolset. It cost me a single area because it fired while I was compiling a script. The two together are not compatible. My backup was a manual save. I'd save normally, and then Save As for the backup.
I figured you had. The autosave comment was more intended for Spiritwarrior.

OE is still looking into the autosave and corrupted save issue.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yeah, which means I doubly sucked, since I deleted the saves, and can't forward them on to be checked out. After 4 years of being the beta tester at Fates, you'd think I'd know better than that...