Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2002, 07:13 AM   #1
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Yup! He seems to be a VERY decent villian, what are your opinions on him ?
whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:18 AM   #2
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

If his power was turned in a more appropriate way, than he would be a great guy!
I would eventually change everything (alignment etc) if his offers in the dreams didnt end THIS way... no spoiling!

But he is a very decent villain! Although, without any AI patches, a very stupid one when the story comes to a fight

What if he finally "released my untapped power"?? I would be grateful! Unfortunately, all evil&powerful mages tend to pursue their own goals only... What a pity!
Old 08-29-2002, 09:08 AM   #3
Vedran
Lord Soth

I got a bit (a lot!) fed of him. He appears every two minutes, speaking prepotently, disdainfully, in I-am-the-best-mage-in-the-realms way. I cannot wait to kill him. (It was a pleasure every time I did!) But, I guess that is the way the supervillains do.

Ascension-ToB spoiler:
°
°
°
°
°
°
Then the bitch summons him to fight him fourth time over!!! Unbeliavable! And if it was possible to kill him, I wouldn't complain. But it isn't!
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:24 AM   #4
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

He's too flat. Even though he's better than a lot of bad guys, he doesn't really have any personality. He's just hungry for power. Good evil characters have just as much going on in their heads as everybody else. Take Artemis Entreri. Artemis does a good bit more conscious thought about what is best for him than good 'ole Jonny ever does.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:02 PM   #5
Debaser

I thought the coolest part of the Irenicus character was his fall from elven grace...how he is an outcast who is stripped of his very race because of his evil doings and his greed.

His actual disposition in the game was a little too "BWAHAHAH" for my tastes, though. If he really had such great great power I don't think he would flaunt it so very much and be so outspoken about it. The dangerous ones are the silent ones....
Old 08-29-2002, 05:25 PM   #6
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Debaser:
I thought the coolest part of the Irenicus character was his fall from elven grace...how he is an outcast who is stripped of his very race because of his evil doings and his greed.

His actual disposition in the game was a little too "BWAHAHAH" for my tastes, though. If he really had such great great power I don't think he would flaunt it so very much and be so outspoken about it. The dangerous ones are the silent ones....
If Bodhi hadnt misguided him he and ellisime would still be together, thats why i hate Bodhi the most She's mean, she's evil, a vampire, a non-sense sibling, selfish and so darn sick! I hate guys like that
whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 06:45 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by TaSSaDaR:
But he is a very decent villain! Although, without any AI patches, a very stupid one when the story comes to a fight
So, so, SO true. David Warner put the perfect finishing touch on his personality, and Jonny's backstory is great as well......but c'mon. A pure Mage can take out his Chapter 7 incarnation with no spells except Shield, Monster Summoning I, and Summon Hakeashar.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:15 PM   #8
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

I feel sorry for Irenicus.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:15 PM   #9
Tancred
White Dragon

Irenicus... I liked him because he never, ever gave up. He never did anything less than tackle any problem head-on and never ever had any doubt that he would win out. Ever. That's why he was probably one of the greatest of the good; and, likewise, why he's the worst of the bad. There's nothing but a concentrated knot of hatred and determination within him; there's something cold about him that makes him seem far, far more sinister and far more evil than his two counterparts in the BG big evil dude world, who acted like humans and could be understood. I like Irenicus. He's one of the finest villains I've come across in a computer game, at least.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:20 PM   #10
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I found his voice, personality (or lack thereof) and singleminded lust for power appropriate. When a tainted elf is stripped of everything elven, all that's left is a bitter shell with the taint. He could be called "inhuman" except perhaps we should say "inelven." The curse twisted his mind.. All that he had is need for revenge.
Bigger spoilers ahead...
His condition is akin to the PC's condition when their soul was stolen.. The taint that was there to begin with festered and grew to fill the hole.
"Were you the man you once were you could have earned your return to this sacred place.. but I see none of him. You are Irenicus. And all that awaits you now is death."

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote