Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-09-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Just watched the footballmatch between the Netherlands and Macedonia, which i won't give any comments about since it was downright ugly, but during the whole match my amazement grew larger and larger. Whenever one of our black players had the ball, the entire homecrowd were making sounds that refer to apes (i think).

How is this possible in Europe 2004 AD ? Have these people never seen a black man before ? Were they all born in caves or something ? Overhere in the Netherlands there's a discussion going on about immediately stopping a match if fans chant insulting stuff about player's wifes and such, so shouldn't this get some attention as well ? There's linesmen, a referee, FIFA officials, and god knows who else present, surely someone must have taken notice of it, or is this commonly accepted nowadays ?

It wasn't just a few assholes who were doing this, but the entire stadium was happily acting along, like one big happy Nazi family. Unbelievable.

It's not my intention to insult any possible members of that country, if there are any, but if this is the overall sentiment in Macedonia, then yes...you may consider yourselves insulted, people like this deserve just as much respect as the average dogturd on the sidewalks.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
How is this possible in Europe 2004 AD ?
Hate to break it to you johnny, but its like that everywhere, maybe not as bad but it happens. As long as there is more than one color of skin, there will be racism, with people and their petty jokes. I think its quite stupid doing it, people pay to watch a game and the players are there to give the fans what they want, which doesn't include being a target for crude humor.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
It has nothing to do with humor, this is pure fascist emotions, and you don't hear those kind of things in stadiums overhere or in most other western European countries, but it appears to happen quite often in certain Eastern European countries. It's not their pathetic ape imitations that got to me, it was the fact that noone seems to care. It's there to hear for everyone, but noone reacts, as if they don't give a damn. If i were a referee, i'd ask the players in question if it bothers them in any way, and if it did i'd blow the whistle and call the whole thing off. Penalties should be handed out as well, if Macedonians can't behave like normal human beings, then they don't belong in international events such as the qualifying rounds for the worldcup, and should be banned until they left the dark ages behind them.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I didn't see the match ( though I know the result is 2 - 2 ) but basing my opinion on Johnny's posts.

The Macedonian only hurl insults ,racists as it may be, nothing else than that. That won't stop the match. Now if they hurl stones, coins, bottles etc ( Did they throw those? ). Then the referee have the right to stop the match.

However,to my understanding is that if the referee were to put what the Macedonain fans did in his report. FIFA may look at the match then. And may do something like to punish the Macedonia playing in a empty stadium in their next or remaining home matches if FIFA deem that Macedonian fans did was a match stopping incident or can harm anybody ( like the one happen to the swiss referee ). However, in this particular case, usually FIFA may just let it go.

[ 10-09-2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 10-10-2004, 05:40 AM   #5
Sigmar
Unicorn

The majority of the world is stupid and petty.

Pretty straightfoward really.

Did the commentator comment on the racist remarks/chants?
Old 10-10-2004, 07:40 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
The majority of the world is stupid and petty.

Pretty straightfoward really.

Did the commentator comment on the racist remarks/chants?
Just one time, but at least he didn't ignore it.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:36 AM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

*sigh*

Always happens. Ignorance is never bliss.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:04 AM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I suppose we will never live together as a species, which is a pitty, considering our dominance and inteligance or supposed inteligance.

[ 10-10-2004, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Old 10-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #9
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
It has nothing to do with humor
What I meant johnny is that is how people see their actions as, something humorous.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #10
Double D
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Racism is really, really stupid, i mean, if there was some kind of scientific proof that black/yellow/red/whatever people were inferior or superior to others, i would be able to see the point in racism but really.....

DD