Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #21
Aerich
Lord Ao

My dad is needle-shy too. Every time I go give blood I call him up and ask if he'd like to join me. Unaccountably, he always says no. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But really, it's not painful. If the nurse knows what she's doing, it won't hurt, but just cause mild discomfort. And you shouldn't actually watch them insert the needle, because you tense up, which makes it painful.

There's lots of people who can inspire you to donate; just about every time I go, I run into someone who has hit triple digits (!!!) in donations. At 6-7 times a year, that's a lot of years. The last time I went, I met a guy who fainted the first time he donated (afraid of needles). However, he was on his 105th time.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #22
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

i tried once (at 17 which is the age in the u.s.) but i was anemic, and good thing too cause it hink iw as pregnant then and just didn't know it. but i have been anemic on and off my whole life so i'm not sure if i would even find the right time to donate. nathan used to donate a lot, but it is hard with two jobs and family.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #23
Melusine
Dracolisk

Well I hate needles as well, whenever I need my blood tested I have to lie down before they start, because I always look so white they're afraid I'll faint. But for something as important as blood donations... I dunno, I think you should try to overcome that fear.

I had a really informative talk a while ago with a girl who gives blood, because I wanted to do so as well. Unfortunately I weigh too little but as soon as I gain enough, I would like to donate blood.

[ 08-20-2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 08-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #24
Gardner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I do.
And i hate neddles...
but i turn my head, close my eyes and think about the people i can help doing this.
And... there is the good side (the bad one is the needles), they give us 2 snacks. A small one before, and the greater one after the donation. And you win a medical licence for all the day. I'm joking. =)

but the snaks are really good.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:27 PM   #25
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Like Stormy, I can't. I am on too many meds for my MS. They turned me away about 2 months ago.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:03 PM   #26
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I had a really informative talk a while ago with a girl who gives blood, because I wanted to do so as well. Unfortunately I weigh too little but as soon as I gain enough, I would like to donate blood.
Yes, that's why I can't give blood either.

Hivetyrant, there is a difference between not liking something and having a phobia about it. If you have never experienced it I'm not surprised that you can't understand it, but while a normal dislike or apprehension towards something can be fairly easily overcome, a phobia can be completely debilitating and very difficult to overcome without some sort of therapy.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:42 PM   #27
Arvon
Unicorn

I have , over the years given three gallons of blood. Me, the universal doner (type o+).

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 08-20-2004, 05:54 PM   #28
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Haha.

I haven't as of yet, never really got involved, but I might. I actually quite like needles myself, I don't have a clue why, but ever since I was a little kid I seemed to like going to the doctors to get Needles. And also, I have been in hospital more than your average person, so it doesn't really phase me.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:45 PM   #29
Gab
Zhentarim Guard

I really should be donating blood, but I don't because I really hate needles. I hope that I'll be able to overcome that fear someday...
Old 08-21-2004, 05:49 PM   #30
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
I have been in hospital more than your average person, so it doesn't really phase me.
I spent alot of time in them as well, but that only made me hate the darn things .....oh forgot this one too, can not donate on account of my veins, they bust as soon as the needles are in...should see them try and put in a normal IV needle