Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 10:55 PM   #1
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well, as few of you may already know, my dad is very sick. he has two chronic illnesses: Hepatitis C and, what i call, Hollow Liver (not sure if theres a medical term for it). he used to have a very serious drinking problem, which climaxed in January of this year when he became ill with what SEEMED like a regular, generic flu. however, it was something much more serious called Metabolic Acidosis. im not sure what that is, but it has something to do with his lungs. he also had many other problems that developed while he was in the hospital during that time, which i cant remember because theyre too numberous and i never got their names in 'laymens terms'. anyways, after he got out he was in very bad shape still. his liver had deteriorated, and his stomach was leaking fluid into his abdomen. a few weeks ago, he had to go to another hospital for further treatment, among that treatment getting his abdomen drained of fluid. after recovering from that, he was released yet again, but he now had to monitor his fluid intake. after a few days, he began to forget his medicine, and his memory deteriorated. he returned to the hospital, and was released after a few more days. this began 6 months ago, and is still continuing today.
however, today it seems to be even worse than ever. his body isnt functioning properly, and his mind is addled. i didnt realize this until a few minutes ago, when his brother called on the phone. i answered it, then went downstairs to tell him to answer it. he was just sitting there, holding the phone with his arms shaking. i told him that his brother was on the phone, and asked if he had answered it, he just said he hadnt. this rather confused me, and i went back upstairs until dinner. when i was called down, i noticed that it was worse. he was just laying on the couch. he staggered into the kitchen, then just walked around and did nothing. he went back into the living room, then sat down to eat. he then layed down for awhile. when my mom just went to the store, i had to sit downstairs and watch him to make sure he didnt do anything crazy. his eyes were half closed, and he got up to walk around with no direction at all. he just started walking around in circles, and actually bumped into a few things while he had an empty look in his eyes. just thought you guys should know, because i truly do love you guys, and trust you enough to confide such information in you. most people that i know in RL dont know most of these events, and im surprised im finding myself telling you about them.

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Old 09-14-2001, 11:05 PM   #2
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Get him to the hospital fast. He is getting worse because he isn't taking his medicine. My step-father died from the same thing not too long ago. He might have Cirrhosis. The mind gets confused because there are too many toxins in his blood.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 09-14-2001, 11:06 PM   #3
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i thought it was cirrhosis. but i cant drive him there, because i dont have a car or a license. my mom would drive him, but he wont go for some reason, he keeps saying that hes fine. he's a proud man, but he must not realize that there are times when pride should be set aside and help should be taken from others.

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Old 09-14-2001, 11:07 PM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

God, I'm so sorry. It sounds like my grandfather. He is almost 80 now, and he is in the same boat. He has been smoking and drinking since he was 14 years old. He has been in near perfect health all of his life up until about 5 years ago. When it came, it came with a fury. In the last 5 years I have watched his mind and body deteriorate to the point where there is almost nothing left. He now has alzheimers and chronic strokes. He drinks all day, and when I go to visit, it's like I'm talking to a 3 year old. He forgets things that just happened, he can barely move without help... It is horrible. It is so frustrating, because you know that the person you loved and grew up with is there somewhere, but the body is keeping you from seeing him. I get down when I go to visit my grandfather, but I can only imagine what it would be like if my dad were in that situation. Seriously, my heart goes out to you. I wish I had some amazing advice that will fix the problem, but I don't think anybody has that. Just be strong and do the best you can. Hopefully things will get better.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-14-2001, 11:07 PM   #5
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Just wanted to say that I'll be praying for your dad.

Best wishes,
-Jafin

------------------

Citizen of the United States of America
The Original Arch-Mage of the HADB
Destroyer of the evil Bunnies
Guardian of Boo
Old 09-14-2001, 11:08 PM   #6
Conan

I am here SS. I am praying for you and your dad. All of your family.

------------------
*\Conan/*

Old 09-14-2001, 11:10 PM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

thanks you guys. mil, hes stopped drinking but i dont think thats going to help. his liver was already too far gone, and he has to get a transplaint if theres going to be any hope. and it is much like talking to a young child, he doesnt comprehend anything i tell him, and his memory is very poor. hopefully i can try to convince my mom to force him to go to the ER soon, but if not i hope he pulls out of this, and fast.

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 11:10 PM   #8
Moni

Did he perhaps suffer a stroke?!
With his current health problems, the possibility of a stroke should not be overlooked!

That sounds almost exactly like the way my mother acted when my younger brother found her alone in her house right after she had a stroke! He got her immediate medical attention and she is OK.

An extremely heavy drinker, with no other apparent health problems, Rex's grandpa had a stroke a few years ago...he still acts like your dad was earlier!

I hope he and you are going to be OK!

If you don't mind prayer on your all's behalf, I would be happy to include you all in mine.
*HUGS*

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-14-2001, 11:12 PM   #9
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Jafin:
Just wanted to say that I'll be praying for your dad.

Best wishes,
-Jafin

so will i.
can you get a doctor to come to you?

------------------

Gonna run through the jungle!
Old 09-14-2001, 11:13 PM   #10
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i dont quite think it was a stroke, but with his coctail of medical problems, its hard for me to tell. and if you want, pray for him. i know i will.

------------------