Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-15-2004, 06:48 AM   #1
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

After completing the game with a party for the second time I've decided I want to have a go at soloing.
Any reccomendations about classes, races, or any tips or hints?
Old 08-15-2004, 06:51 AM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

A Fighter/Mage/Thief is easy to solo. A Blade is fun to solo. A Ranger/Cleric is powerful. Any versatile class or class combination should do well.

Remember, if you solo you don't have to spread out your equipment, you can use all the juicy stuff yourself. You also level up much quicker.

[ 08-15-2004, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 08-15-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I chose to use a Skald (Bard kit) as my first solo player. He has some fighting ability, some spells and can Identify any item on sight - which means he can use it right away.

I chose the Skald over the Bladesinger because I felt being +1 with ANY weapon was more beneficial than the temporary advantages of the offensive spin.

A fighter/mage/thief will cover all the skills needed but it will take you a bit longer to level up because your XP is divided among 3 classes. I would recommend just going with a fighter/mage myself. So far, I haven't encountered any seriously deadly traps for my bard (well, except for my quick jaunt through the first level of Watcher's Keep).

A fighter/mage will have much better combat ability than a bard and should have a better selection of spells also. The only real advantage the bard has over the fighter mage is their Lore - which allows them to identify unlimited items almost immediately.

Cleric/rangers are also a very powerful class and can cast "Detect Traps" to make up for the lack of having a thief to do that.

Good luck on your solo attempt. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Go with the Sorcerer. He`s very powerful.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

What's your preferred playing style????
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

If ToB is present, multiclass fighter/thief. Fighting power, thievery and usage of scrolls at ToBlevels! Wickedly evil.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:46 AM   #7
Andraste
Manshoon

Sorcerer is generally considered the easiest class to solo. The single class character also maximises the increased levelling up rate. If fact, it is too easy. I gave up my solo sorcerer game, after killing one of the more powerful adversaries by accident (honest - I didn't mean for him to die). However, one good thing about soloing a sorcerer is that it taught me to USE the spells. Before I tried the solo, I was always holding back on my mages' spells, just in case I needed them for the next battle.

[ 08-15-2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Andraste ]
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I *remember* that story! Oh, that was good.. Adventurers take heed, this one knows what she's talking about.

However, it is possible to make soloing a sorc more difficult if you pick unusual spells or if you don't intimately know the spell system.

"A demon you might be, but you have not seen the power of my spell sequencer filled with Chromatic Orbs!" ((Before you say anything, yes. I know. I know all about Doom and Greater Malison. But this is a solo sorc, and she didn't pick GM.))

"Beware, creatures of the night! I can cast Infravision seven times a day!"

"And now, Irenicus, as you stand nearly dead, I unleash upon you the power of my Prismatic Spray! Have at you! Hey, stop laughing!"

[ 08-15-2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 12:32 PM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Hey, Chromatic Orb can be quite good.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #10
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

Especially after GM or Doom!

Sorry Illumina