Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-13-2002, 08:04 AM   #61
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Ooh yeah, the Truman Show!! It's so sad
Carrey is so good at being silly and dead serious at the same time... good one, uss!!
Yeah, I saw that [img]smile.gif[/img] . After Jim Carey's last films, though, I was surprised to learn he could actually act! [/QUOTE]yeah
Old 06-13-2002, 09:14 AM   #62
uss
20th Level Warrior

oh, and those who havent seen Requiem: For A Dream really really should see it. its too good to let go .

here is a great review: http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/mo...iem_dream.html
"Requiem for a Dream presents the darkest take imaginable on a story of hopes and dreams shattered by drug addiction."
Old 06-13-2002, 09:44 AM   #63
lroyo

Quote:
Um uss... I have to disagree about the Ninth Gate though... what a laughable, stupid movie that was! BAD, bad plot and unconvincing acting... yuck.
Brazil is fantastic, Epona!! Wow... I need to check out the few movies you mention that I haven't seen, because all the others are my own favourites as well.
Twelve Monkeys was great as well, I really liked that one.
Dogma was good for a laugh, though it should not be taken too seriously.
I was VERY impressed by Memento, the plot is truly refreshing and the way it's been worked out is amazing. Best movie I've seen in ages!

Now, as for recommendations:
Le Pacte Des Loups (The Brotherhood of the Wolf) - do a search see my review in the books/movies forum here or on Panda if you're interested.
Lost Highway by David Lynch... my all time favourite, have seen it over ten times... Great soundtrack, fantastic, bewildering plot (I think I have it figured out after the tenth time though! LOL)
Oh and Hugh? WTF is YOUR name???
Fire Walk With Me, another David Lynch, prequel to Twin Peaks... very freaky.
Eyes Wide Shut by Kubrick... I love Nicole Kidman... very weird movie this.
A Clockwork Orange, another Kubrick - goes without saying this is a classic.
A Shallow Grave - hilariously funny at times, nasty at others - features Ewan McGregor.
Pi - uss is right - very interesting movie, quite original
Melusine,

I agree with you on most of your selections, but I didn't think much of Shallow Grave. It just wasn't much! Pi is great, A Clockwork Orange is brilliant! I also loved Sleepy Hollow, Brazil and 12 Monkeys.

I have wanted to watch Brotherhood of the Wolf for ages, but I can't find it anywhere in Australia. It just didn't come out here!

But there's one on your list that I don't understand at all! Lost Highway!!!!!!! I obviously just didn't get it because I read rave reviews (and completely rubbishing) about it all the time. It made absolutely no sense (even worse than normal David Lynch), and changing characters halfway through doesn't help.
So, what is it that you like about it? I happen to think that Eraserhead is very nearly the worst movie of all time, so if your reasons for liking it are because of the Lynchism of it, I'm not going to understand.

Avi.

PS : The Ninth Gate was absolutely terrible!!! How could the same director have made such great films like Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby?

[ 06-13-2002, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Aviendha ]

Old 06-13-2002, 10:07 AM   #64
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:

PS : The Ninth Gate was absolutely terrible!!! How could the same director have made such great films like Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby?
you and Melusine dont really think youll stay alive after saying this, do you [img]graemlins/evillaughter1.gif[/img] ?
well, i thought it was a great movie [img]tongue.gif[/img] though i dont remember much about it..

another interesting thing about Requiem: For A Dream which i took from the link:
"Every actor with a major role - Ellen Burstyn, Jennifer Connelly, Jared Leto, and Marlan Wayans - should be commended not only for their strength of performance but for the courage they exhibit in putting themselves on the line the way Aronofsky requires. They are artists in the truest sense of the word, sublimating their egos and committing themselves fully to the needs of the project. Each of them is shown in a state of physical and mental degradation. They are depicted doing the kinds of things that many higher profile celebrities would not permit. Connelly especially goes all out, appearing naked from the waist down in one shot and participating in a lesbian orgy scene. (Those looking for an erotic charge from Connelly's nudity should see one of her previous outings - Requiem for a Dream is far too disturbing to do anything for the libido.)"
Old 06-13-2002, 10:14 PM   #65
Moni

Well just for the record, as good an actor as Johny Depp is I didn't really like The Ninth Gate. I think it was just a bad story.
Same with The Truman Show...yeah it proved Jim Carey could act (lol) but I thought it was just too "unbelievable" for lack of a better word.
The Virgin Suicides was sad [img]smile.gif[/img] I watched it a couple of weeks ago.
I'll add Requiem For A Dream to the list, thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2002, 06:16 AM   #66
uss
20th Level Warrior

oh, ive got 2 more movies..
1. The Dead Zone. Main actor: Cristopher Walken. its a half thriller half sci-fi with a horror movies sound effects . and dont mind the fact that its very old(1983 or something. ive got it on dvd.)
2. What Lies Beneath. Main actors: Michelle Pfeiffer, Harrison Ford. a very interesting scary ghost movie.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:14 AM   #67
Moni

I've seen them both.
I also read the Dead Zone but I can't remember if it was still in short-story form at the time.
Stephen King was one of my favorite authors when I was in my late teens. The Stand and Salem's Lot were two of the best imo.