Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2002, 06:40 AM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Well now I just got a couple of Q´s for the powergamers...about sologaming BG2

I want to solo a thief...and NOW I´m wondering about some things?

Should I use a kit or just a plain thief?
Is there really any advantage by playing an elven thief(19 dex)...I mean do I get any disadvantages from this race?
Wich skills should I value best in the begining of the game?
Wich weapon proffs would be best for a thief?
And concerning the alignment...wich would be most fitting for a thief?

I´m playing my thief on basis of Silk from the David Eddings books...I was thinking of either him or Artemis Entreri from Salvatore...Perhaps I should just mix a bit
1 part Althalus
1 part Silk
1 part Talen
2 parts Artemis Entreri
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:00 AM   #2
Spacemoose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Possible SPoiler!

How do you go about Soloing? Do you dismiss all characters, let Irenicus take Imoen and continue until you have to take her back? Do you never take any assistance?
Spacemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:12 AM   #3
Sparhawk
Quintesson

NEVER...the only allowance is to use Valygar to open the planar sphere...other wise You´re on your own...Its tough especially in the beginning...But I´ll recommend Elmonster journal to read about soloing!

check it out

http://members.rogers.com/mrkevvy/
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 09-20-2002, 07:30 AM   #4
Thuram
Dungeon Master

I would recommend you to play a Thief-Mage. The improvements a thief gets after level 13 are limited and you are better spending these XP on a different class. Having both the Thief and the Mage armor restrictions, they complement very nicely.

The mage spell Mislead is very handy for the thief since it creates a non-combative copy of you (which can distract your enemies) and makes you invisible so that you can do multiple bacstabs. The NPC Jan is a good example of a Thief/Illusionist

Anyway, if you are thinking of a plain thief, I recommend you one of the following kits:
* Swashbuckler
This one makes you a better melee fighter, allowing you to dual wield. The drawback is that you can't backstab.
* Bounty Hunter
The traps are his strength. In fact if you want to powerplay, you can e.g. surround a dragon with traps and then attack him to get hostile. It's sooo easy (and boring) to kill dragons this way.

Detect traps and open locks are important for the begginning where you will find lots of them. (There is a ring that improves trap detection) However, you can also drink some potions and improve this skill dramatically. Since you are not going use this skills in combat, you have plenty of time for preparations.

For me Hide in Shadows is one of the most important skills. It will allow get out of sight by running away (boots of speed) or turn a corner and hide. You'd hate it if in that moment you fail it. Move Silently for me is less important since I almost only use it for backstab and even if he fails he still remains a while in shadows. (There is a nice armor that improves both)

If you are going to use traps, better make sure you have a high number here, otherwise they can explode right into your face. There is also a ring that improves this a bit.

Detect Illusion I find very handy, especially if you are soloing. Many Lichs use Mislead, normal mages have Shadow Door or Mirror Image. Having to rely solely on melee, this is a live safer. Plus, all the other skills you can improve with potions or rings.

As for the weapon profs., since you can only place one star, you can be proficient in a lot of weapons. If you don't play a swashbuckler (dual wield), but on dot in one-handed weapon style if you can (this will improve your ac.).

Take one in Short Bow - it suits the thief well and this is the way to have some magic-like capabilities (arrows of fire for troll hunting, arrows of dispelling, poison, etc.). The Tuigan Bow you can get early on and gives you an extra shot. As a soloist you will need its extra speed since you won't be able to get many shots off before you are in a melee fight.

Roleplaying wise, I don't like thiefs using long swords but anyway: The Celestial Fury (katana) is one of the best weapons in the game. You may also find useful Daystar (long sword) when fighting undeads. Finally, I like Belm+2 (Scimitar) - gives you one extra attack and you can get it early on.

Don't forget the Pixie (dagger), if you are lucky it can do wonders. Daggers give you also the advantage to cover the missile side (although bows are more versatile) since early on you can get a returning dagger.

As for the DEX 19, it improves only in a little % you thieving skills. Same goes for the elven race. Both factors together will definetely make you a better thief (not that I think this will let you have a better time soloing a plain thief). The disadvantage is a lower constitution, but that would only affect a fighter.

The main advantage of the Elve is that it gets plus in long swords and bows - you will need it. Anybody knows if this goes also for Katanas and Short Bows???
Also I nice advantage is its resistance to charm; as a soloist when you are charmed you are dead.

Once again, think about dualing to a mage. This will make your life a lot easier. An other possibility is a swashbuckler/cleric. It will give you plenty of healing spells. Also blade barrier is very useful since you can hit your enemies while remaining in shadows. And finally it should give you the possibility of using the Crom Feyr.

I also recommend you to get the Staff of Fire (I don't know the exact name), which will allow you to summon some very usefull fire elementals (you will need them to survive)
Thuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:54 AM   #5
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Hmmmm you´ve given me some things to ponder about...

now SPOIL me...I wnat to know where the damned boots of speed are...I´ve played through the game twice and I´ve not found them yet!

It is my first time soloing so this should be funny!

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 09-20-2002, 08:04 AM   #6
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

Hi!

The boots of speed are in the asylum, five tokens or fifteen if I recall correctly. Full explanation.

Collect the mithril tokens on level three. There is a machine in which you can exchange the tokens. Don't do twenty tokens, it is a Chain Mail which only works for Jesters. So unless you are a Jester, don't use the 20. It doesn't do much, apart from a bit of money.

PS: SWORD: Blade of Roses
DJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 08:07 AM   #7
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

One pair is in the Planar Prison (Haer'Dalis quest), a dwarf (or gnome) wears them, you will see - he's the one who moves very fast.

The other one is in the Bodhi's gauntlet - put 15 mithril tiokens in the machine, and voila! another pair of BoS!!
Old 09-20-2002, 08:15 AM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I`m pretty sure that Arkansis Gath (god form) has a pair on him aswell: good luck killing him for them
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:28 AM   #9
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Who the &¤(/&% is Arkanis Gath...and what do you mean by God-form

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 09-20-2002, 09:38 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparhawk:
Who the &¤(/&% is Arkanis Gath...and what do you mean by God-form
Spoiler?
~
~
~
~
If you attempt to attack the Shadow Thieves and you are not doing it because of Bodhi, Arkanis Gath the Almighty will warp in smelling of cheese and KO you in one hit, no miss, no save, no chance. Unless...
You use Protection from Magical Weapons to protect yourself and lure him into a room, then close the door; or you use Time Stop + Shapeshift:Mind Flayer and suck his brains out.

The weapon that he wields is called a killsword, and he wears Imoen's Belt.

[ 09-20-2002, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote