Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 08:18 PM   #31
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

For all of you that don't like needles.

What are you going to do when the time comes that you need a blood transfusion?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:27 PM   #32
Donut
Jack Burton

Belonephobia!!

Just don't look! It's only a little prick!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-21-2004, 11:12 PM   #33
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

not for me it is not I have heard that one before, when I donated plasma, they had to stick me twice just to give me the blood back, because my vein went bye bye [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2004, 11:15 PM   #34
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I remember in high school I went to donate blood and they said I didn't weigh enough. I probably still do not I reckon. What is the weight limit Aerich do you know?

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #35
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
For all of you that don't like needles.

What are you going to do when the time comes that you need a blood transfusion?
Well, friend, by the time they need them, they may very well not be able to feel, or respond to the needles.

Also, Xen, I'm not sure, but I dont think you're old enough to give blood, so you still have plenty of time to overcome that fear!
Old 08-22-2004, 01:24 AM   #36
Gab
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
I have been in hospital more than your average person, so it doesn't really phase me.
I spent alot of time in them as well, but that only made me hate the darn things .....oh forgot this one too, can not donate on account of my veins, they bust as soon as the needles are in...should see them try and put in a normal IV needle [/QUOTE]I hate hospitals, dispite the fact that I've ever even beeing hospitalized. Justing visting them makes me uneasy. See a bunch of blood on the bed after an operation does that
Old 08-22-2004, 05:44 AM   #37
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I can't donate blood how drunk would you think those who needed the blood would be? LOL
Old 08-23-2004, 01:49 PM   #38
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I remember in high school I went to donate blood and they said I didn't weigh enough. I probably still do not I reckon. What is the weight limit Aerich do you know?
Minimum weight is 50 kg (110 lbs).

If/when you do give blood, make sure to eat and drink prior to donating (about an hour earlier). The food increases your blood sugar level, meaning it's less likely that you will feel lightheaded/faint, and the (non-alcoholic!) drink will increase your blood volume with the same result.

They give you cookies and juice/tea/coffee afterward, to help with that as well.

I'll mention in passing that in the 15 times I've donated, I've only felt poorly afterward about 3 times. Each time was because I didn't have enough to eat/drink before donating. The trick is to eat and/or drink before, after, and every two waking hours or so for the next couple days. Athletic performance is slightly affected for 4-5 days, but normal activity is not.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #39
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Well, besides my urge to tell Aerich, as an aspiring Physicist, that the Kilogram is a unit of mass, not weight, I pretty much concur with everything he says...

Besides that, I just wanted to say that there's a blood donation September 2 here at UK, so I'll be giving blood for the fourth time.

WHat are the statistics about return blood doners? How many times does the average blood doner donate? Once? Twice? Eighty seven times?

When will I be above average??? lol

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 08-23-2004, 05:42 PM   #40
Aerich
Lord Ao

Weight, mass, same diff, right? (At least in common usage)

Good on you for committing to donate again, Ilander.

I'm not sure what the exact stats are for return donors, but I know it's more than 2. There are plenty of people who go <10 times and bring down the average, but anybody who gets over 10 is likely to get up to at least 50, given enough time. Each of the last few times I've been to the clinic I talked to at least one person who had over 100 donations. The high so far is 131.