Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-13-2002, 11:56 AM   #11
Thoran
Galvatron

The real fun of first person shooters is multiplayer gaming. The single player games are fun for a couple hours but quickly get boring. Return to Castle Wolfenstein I got bored with VERY quickly... although I plowed through to the end, Medal of Honor is better than RTCW but not by much. IMO NONE of them are the least bit realistic, although Wolf and Honor pretend to be... which makes me like Serious Sam 2 a LOT more. Operation Flashpoint is the only game I've ever played that makes you feel like you're in a military simulation, and it's the only FPS that has a replayable solo mode. Sadly, it's multiplayer support is pretty weak at this point.

BUT... once you get a bunch of friends together, you can drag all those games out and have a riot fragging your buddies. we usually play for 14 hours, go out, sleep, then play for another 10. These games really only come into their own with the help of living competition.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:57 PM   #12
Sigmar
Unicorn

quote:
Originally posted by Link:
IMO First person shooters are a little bit too much published lately. I mean, games like Medal of Honor; Allied Assault, Return to Castle Wolfenstein etc. It's an overflow if you ask me. New games (like C&C: Renegade) have absolutely no chance, because everyone already has such games. What's your opinion on this?

HAHAHAHA blood, more BLOOD! Oh....you want a serious opinion, ok I see what I can do.Yes lately first person shooters are a litle bit too much published lately, but to first person shooter fanatics (Like me) this is only good news [img]smile.gif[/img] ! I myself have advance ordered Medal of honour and C&C renegade, as the former is the game of the year and the latter is the contender for the game of the year. Sure people may not want some new games as there are so many of these games lying around now and there are so many more coming (such as doom3,quake4,unreal2,duke nukem forever and Die hard) but there will always be a demand for these games because since the mirical that is Half-life came to pass many more games have (usually) tried to come up with revolutionary ideas. So in reponse to your question no, games will always be in demand, especially with games like I mentioned earlier aroun the corner.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:19 PM   #13
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

quote:
IMO First person shooters are a little bit too much published lately. I mean, games like Medal of Honor; Allied Assault, Return to Castle Wolfenstein etc. It's an overflow if you ask me. New games (like C&C: Renegade) have absolutely no chance, because everyone already has such games. What's your opinion on this?

C&C Renegade is going to be a FPS
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 02-13-2002, 04:36 PM   #14
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

FPS games are relatively easy to develop if you use an existing engine. That's why you see a deluge of them as soon as a new engine becomes available. The best one I've played was "Half-Life". There was a good story, mind tickling puzzles to figure out, and a creepy feeling that most games just never get because they're not immersive enough. The creepy critters are REAL creepy looking and they jump right out in front of you! I mean, it's dead quiet and you're creeping along with your hackles raised, and all of a sudden BLAM! Ceiling tiles crumble or windows shatter right next to you and it's ON! The rocket test facility with the giant blind clawed tentacles thrashing around and nothing you could do but avoid them and keep quiet or toss a grenade to distract them. WOW! That was nerve wracking!
Old 02-14-2002, 12:10 AM   #15
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Counterstrike is the best FPS game ever! Nothing even comes close.

But dont play it! Its addictive!
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 02-14-2002, 02:41 AM   #16
Link
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:

C&C Renegade is going to be a FPS

Yeah, that's what I mean! New first person shooters, like Command and Conquer Renegade! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 02-14-2002, 02:46 AM   #17
Link
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
FPS games are relatively easy to develop if you use an existing engine. That's why you see a deluge of them as soon as a new engine becomes available. The best one I've played was "Half-Life". There was a good story, mind tickling puzzles to figure out, and a creepy feeling that most games just never get because they're not immersive enough. The creepy critters are REAL creepy looking and they jump right out in front of you! I mean, it's dead quiet and you're creeping along with your hackles raised, and all of a sudden BLAM! Ceiling tiles crumble or windows shatter right next to you and it's ON! The rocket test facility with the giant blind clawed tentacles thrashing around and nothing you could do but avoid them and keep quiet or toss a grenade to distract them. WOW! That was nerve wracking!

And what about Alien vs. Predator 2? That's (at least from what I heard) a pretty good game, if you're looking for tension.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:24 AM   #18
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

[img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img] and that sums up how i feel about FPS games. I call them 'games for the braindead'. You really need to know a lot to push a button as fast as possible. As always exeptions exists in which the game does have some merit in solving puzzles and such but most shooters evolve around this, run in room, shoot at everything that moves, run in adjecent corridor, shoot at everything that moves, get key, find door, open door, on to the next level of more of the same. You really need to use your brain in these games.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:26 AM   #19
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:

And what about Alien vs. Predator 2? That's (at least from what I heard) a pretty good game, if you're looking for tension.

Yeah, that's a freaking scary game.... Unless you're playing as an alien, then YOU'RE the scare factor And humans flee in fear from you
Old 02-14-2002, 04:32 AM   #20
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by JR Jansen:
[img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img] and that sums up how i feel about FPS games. I call them 'games for the braindead'. You really need to know a lot to push a button as fast as possible. As always exeptions exists in which the game does have some merit in solving puzzles and such but most shooters evolve around this, run in room, shoot at everything that moves, run in adjecent corridor, shoot at everything that moves, get key, find door, open door, on to the next level of more of the same. You really need to use your brain in these games.

Now JR, I would have to disagree with you there, for example Alien Versus Predator 1&2, play as an alien and fast reflexes won't be able to save you, you need to THINK, charge ahead relying on speed and reflexes and you're one dead critter.

Of course HAVING fast reflexes is still an advantage.

Other games, such as Counterstrike CAN be won purely by reflexes and speed, but if you think about what you do before you do it you'll find that your enemies fall a lot easier.